Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2008 Toyota Supra Rumors (MERGE)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by AbusiveWombat
why design a new engine?..just throw in the 2JZ-GTE from the MKIV supra. simple, low cost solution.
Smog regulation, my friend. The new laws in Japan "killed" several famous engines that existed for over 10 years (RB26DETT, SR20DET and prob the 2JZ-GTE).

Most JGTC cars are NOT using these engines now since they're not longer in production. That's why you'll see the JGTC Skyline-GT-R has the V6 and the Supra has an I-4...
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

looks like a hotwheel...
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

It does kinda look like a hotwheels car...

I'll wait until we have some official information before I worry about the engine and the looks.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

If they can get the dirty EVO engine to pass smog...I'm sure they can get the 2JE-GTE to pass.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

This car seems promising and will surely be a force to be reckoned with. I like the fact that Toyota will go back to basics and hopefully they will give us an overpowered but lightweight 2-seat wonder. Whatever the case may be, I will keep my eyes set on the white Evo I will hopefully own as early as next summer.

For some general information about this car: This Supra (might have a new name) will be on display in October's Tokyo Motor Show and is due on sale in 2004. This car is based on the upcoming second-generation IS chassis with engines to be either a 3.0 (perhaps the "cheapy" models will get this one) and 3.5-liter NA V6s bolted to close-ratio 6-speeds.

This car will be comparable to the 350Z and will avoid the Turbos due to complexity and pricing, meaning it will be priced in the $30,000 range, again for 350Z competition and to steer clear of the MKIV fate.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 12:05 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally posted by AbusiveWombat
If they can get the dirty EVO engine to pass smog...I'm sure they can get the 2JE-GTE to pass.
Getting it to pass is easy, getting it to pass at a reasonable cost and without sacrificing too much power is the hard part. There's no use in an expensive complicated motor like the 2JE-GTE that's only putting out 275 HP.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

boo the front end of the new supra, looks like a menacing sunfire on steroids.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

i'm kinda digging its look. not like that's what we'll see in production anyhow, concepts drawings are always very extreme.

as far as a v6 engine goes, i'm all for it. i'm sure the boys at toyota can easily crank close to 300 hp from it, and if they leave some decent room in the engine bay, you can through a turbo on that, voila, 500 hp easy, and still under 40 g's.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by joeycoates
The M3 has an Inline 6, not a V6. I doubt that BMW will ever go to a V6 configuration. One of the reasons that an I6 is so nice is because it is a naturally balenced reciprocating assembly along with a 60 degree V12. What this means is that while running they are naturally smooth, none of the offbeat vibrations of say an inline 4. This is why I4's run balence shafts.
90 degree v8 is inherently balanced as well. A V12 of any angle is balanced, because it's basically two inline sixes joined at the crank, hence no second or third order vibrations. Likewise a flat 6 is also balanced because the pistons are all in the same plane just as they are in an inline 6.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Westside Billie........... Watch out for your cornhole man!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 25, 2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by 7raegigi
i thought that all in-line 6 (straight-6s) were'nt being manufactured anymore. these are the NISSAN SKYLINES MODELS and the TOYOTA SUPRAS MODELS. unless they're keeping the name "SUPRA" and changing the whole design of the engine; no turbo. i don't know, but when i think of cars like these (SKYLINES, SUPRAS, RX-7, SYLVIAS...), i know of them cuz they're turbos and they kick-***! without turbo... i'm not so sure! just my opinion though... the car does look sweet though!
Guess you forgot to remember that the rx-7 and supras began their lives as non turbo cars. I think economically no turbo is the best bet. 350z seems to doing awesome with its new set up, I imagine offering a direct competitor might be the best idea. Guess you could change the Supra name, but I think thats part of the marketing plan, if the 350z wasnt a z I imagine there is a chance it wouldnt get the hype it does...I dont know though, just my opinion. Need to play off the name, and who knows, the new engine might be very capable and reliable.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

The more competition there is, the better the performance numbers. Also, I have always liked 2-door, 2-seater sports coupes so this new car is welcomed by me.

Anyone here that Mazda MIGHT be adding a turbo to its RX-8 to yeild more power? That was something I read on TheCarConnection.com.

Sounds like the horsepower wars are not letting up anytime soon. I just hope Toyota realizes this when they finally release this car.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by NOVA EVO
NO TURBO???
ditto
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ESCALVANTE
Anyone here that Mazda MIGHT be adding a turbo to its RX-8 to yeild more power? That was something I read on TheCarConnection.com.
probably gonna be some kind of Mazdaspeed stuff, still a rumor i believe but very likely..

i cant wait to see the new supra, the newest model always gave me a chill down my spine..in a good way hope this new one is like that too..
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

i have seen other pics of the new supra that's coming out and it look nothing like that one...i don't have it...but i saw it in some japanese magazine...i think the magazine is call Option

Quick Reply: 2008 Toyota Supra Rumors (MERGE)