Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2008 Toyota Supra Rumors (MERGE)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2003, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This car is suppost to be pulling around 300 hp NA!!! That's a beast if you ask me.. sure it's only N/A but like people said.. the SUpra didn't always have a turbo..and why risk it? It's alot smarter for Toyota to see how sales go, get their reputation back up as a sports car than while everyone, Mitsu, Mazda, Nissian, Maybe Honda.. have already gave out there best.. Toyota in four years surprises everyone and brings back the revolutionary twin-turbo and put it back in the turbo game...

Toyota is a very smart company.. as Honda.. they like to bring some of their best cars while everyone has settled down..so that.. well.. New car= Awsome!!!! They'd rather have no competition..or atleast very few...
Old Aug 5, 2003, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Based on the sketches so far, the new Supra's design links it to past Toyota's especially the legendary 2000GT.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Volkmann
That car will make chicks cream their thongs.

Easy way of putting it true though, it will
Old Aug 6, 2003, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

That **** is ugly. Looks like a Viper and 350Z had sex and that popped out.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 05:32 AM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by Rawdog5581
That **** is ugly. Looks like a Viper and 350Z had sex and that popped out.
Cept I think the Viper was having an affair on the side with a Sunfire cuz you can tell the Supra has the Sunfires nose and not the 350z's.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Good call Spool. That car is ugly as hell. I'd rather drive a Hyundai, and that's pretty bad. Haha.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by octalon7

Guess you forgot to remember that the rx-7 and supras began their lives as non turbo cars. I think economically no turbo is the best bet. 350z seems to doing awesome with its new set up, I imagine offering a direct competitor might be the best idea. Guess you could change the Supra name, but I think thats part of the marketing plan, if the 350z wasnt a z I imagine there is a chance it wouldnt get the hype it does...I dont know though, just my opinion. Need to play off the name, and who knows, the new engine might be very capable and reliable.
History Lesson
Well, the Supra had a very short life span as just an NA car. At first it was a more powerful version of the Celica and had an inline 6, 5MGE engine. In 1986 and 3 months the car broke away from the Celica and got a new inline 6, 7MGE engine, which had a solid block capable of holding 450hp, but with mods could usually only push 320whp. The very next year the turbo 7MGTE was available, which with mods could be pushed up to the capability of the block, and with internal mods could be pushed to near 750hp. Then the MK4 Supra came out with the NA and twin turbo configurations. The car just got too expensive for consumers and in the final 5 years sales were never more than 3500 units. Although the twin turbo has seen as much as 1200whp.
Toyota's Decision
Toyota is bringing it back because many Supra loyalists, such as myself, cried when they stopped importing it. As for the redesign, they are doing the exact same thing Mazda and Nissan did with their super cars. Making the cars more affordable so enthusiasts and regular consumers alike can buy the car, and designing them in a way that modifications can be made to get the full power out of the car. I can't wait to see what the new Supra looks like, and that rendering if one of many out there on the net. If you search for 'MK5 Supra' on the net, you can find the different renderings. I, for one, and pretty excited to see what they come up with.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 12:41 PM

Hmmm, interesting design but like what was stated in an earlier post. Concept drawings often lean more towards the extreme. Guess we will just have to wait and see, but glad to see that the high peformance cars that are not too expensive are making a comeback!
Old Jan 13, 2004, 08:26 AM

hate to revive a old thread, but what is the status on the new supra??? i had heard detroit auto show, but there was nothing...i expected things to pick up since they are killing the celica after this year, how long will they go without a sports car???
Old Jan 13, 2004, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Toyota is bring out a new version of the Corolla that is going to compete with the RalliArt Lancer, Nissan Spec-V, SVT Focus, etc. Although this isn't a sports car, it should hold the line until the Supra comes out, which should be in 2005. I'll take a look on the Supra forums and see what's up.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 08:35 AM

Pop over to www.supraforums.com and check out the MK4 part i beleive....there is a huge post on mk5, and it is probably hte best resource for the new supra anywhere on the internet
Old Jan 13, 2004, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like it's supposed to be unveiled at the Tokyo Auto Salon, which ends tomorrow. So if they are going to unveil it we will see something today or tomorrow. Hopefully the rumours are true and we'll get a sneek peak.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Bad News for Supra Lovers...

Link. No new Supra, no V8, no I6, no turbochargers. Sad, sad news.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 06:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look @ all the concepts on that page... feels likes Toyota skipped a whole millenium of styling, like it's year 3000 or something.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

that's real sad, but it looks like many companies are going to the gas-electric cars now, even is with the new eclipse..

sad to see the supra go cause it was pretty hyped up...there's two cars id like to see Toyota produce again and one was the Supra and the other is the AE86, aka low power, high driveability RWD car.

Quick Reply: 2008 Toyota Supra Rumors (MERGE)