Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

GTR too much mark up $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:59 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Merged with the other thread whining about basic economics.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of Mark-ups.
My 91 NSX had a window sticker of 61K. But the dealer had a side window sticker next to it with a 30K additional mark-up. Total was 91K and some change.I have both of these items. I also have the original owners finance agreement. He ended up buying the car for 70K plus TT&L.

On a side note just to show they hold value. If you take the selling price which was 9K over MSRP. I paid 33K for it in 06. So in 15 yrs it only lost 50% of its selling price. pretty impressive.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 03:48 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Z
Speaking of Mark-ups.
My 91 NSX had a window sticker of 61K. But the dealer had a side window sticker next to it with a 30K additional mark-up. Total was 91K and some change.I have both of these items. I also have the original owners finance agreement. He ended up buying the car for 70K plus TT&L.

On a side note just to show they hold value. If you take the selling price which was 9K over MSRP. I paid 33K for it in 06. So in 15 yrs it only lost 50% of its selling price. pretty impressive.
Except your 33k was equal to $21k in '91 (inflation), so it's more like a 1/3...

... just saying.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My bones got ice cold when I received a call today from Steve from PeoriaNissan. Steve asked me is I still want the GTR and I said it depends. He says that a $25000 deposit and a estimated price of $96000 to $98000 would guarantie me one GTR.

I open a topic 2 days ago which ended being merged with this topic. I stated 2 days ago that the dealer wanted $20000 deposit and a price of $70000 to $90000 for the car itself. As you can see it got much worse since they updated their price to $25k deposit and a $96-98k price. They also mentioned that they could negotiate the final price after you drop the $25k deposit.

This is ridiculous guys!!

Carlos
Old Feb 12, 2008, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

As of right now the list below is the only confirmed MSRP deals that are on the largest GT-R site. NAGTROC - GT-R owners fourm.

I'm #6. on this list below and I consider myself very lucky to have put my deposit down on a GT-R after talking to Eric at AMS after they had come back from 2006 SEMA show over a year ago. I made them sign a "Notorized Agreement" to seal the deal and make it legal. In fact I got a call from my dealer on Friday as they wanted to know what color and options I wanted.

1. mcduck - Pinehurst Nissan
2. neoseven - Pinehurst Nissan
3. Don - Pinehurst Nissan (not on the forum, but has #1 allocation at this dealership)
4. ShahulX - Herb Gordan Nissan
5. GT-R_Owner_2008 - dealership name???
6. Drago_GT-R - Dorschel Automotive Group
7. Z06KLR - Grubbs Nissan
8. Adrey- Esserman Nissan, Miami Florida

The highest markups that we are seeing are coming from the west coast and Arizona so far. One guy reported a dealer that would take his $25k depsoit and he would sell him the car for $129,000. That is that is almost 60k over MSRP and that is just plain crazy! Good dealers are asking about 3 -10k over at this time. Some will put them up for bid if they have a long llist and only like 1-3 cars coming in this year and try and get as much for the cars as they can. The same thing happened when I tried to buy a Z06 in 06 the dealers where asking way over MSRP so I waited until 07 to buy one. I refuse to pay over MSRP for a car period.

Here is my deal to compare.

QX1 Ivory Pearl / G Black

1. 65319 Premium $71,900.00

2. Destination (T.BA.) ?????????

3. Cold Weather Package $0.00

4. IPod Converter $360.00

5. Carpeted Floor Mats $280.00

6. Total MSRP Less Destination $72,540.00

Last edited by WhtEvo05; Feb 12, 2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^Great info. You see, in your case things are reasonable but also having a look at your car fleet it seems to me that you are a serious buyer as well. There is always a dumb a$s that will pay the extra $25k, $30k or whatever mark up might be.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase and if you decide to sell the Z06 sent me a PM.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Feb 13, 2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 01:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
^^^Great info. You see, in your case things are reasonable but also having a look at your car fleet it seems to me that you are a serious buyer as well. There is always a dumb a$s that will pay the extra $25k, $30k or whatever mark up might be.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase and if you decide to sell the Z06 sent me a PM.

Carlos
Yes there are always the " I have to be the first one to own it crowd" for any item that is out in the marketplace in limited supply like the GT-R. those people drive the prices up as the dealers know they will pay them. Like I said there are still some honest dealers left out there so it you really want one you just have to keep looking.

Thanks for the offer on the Z06 but I'm not selling it. I love the car. In fact it goes into the shop in a few weeks and it shoud be making around 600rwhp with the few mods that are going in. The more I drive it the more I like it and that is usually a sign of a good car " a keeper" I had a Porsche that was like that a few years ago but this car is on a whole other level.

I'm hoping the GT-R lives up to all the media hype that has surounded it. I know and have seen all the test results coming out of Japan on the car but until we have one in this country that is tested on some of our tracks then I'll beleive it 100%. The one thing that bothers me and a lot of guys is the GT-R seems to be defiying physics. Power to weight! The numbers don't add up..we will see! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Old Feb 14, 2008, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joedr
Wow! Too much for a Nissan! Definately not worth the money.

When I was in Korea, i drove the legendaries R33 and R34. I was impressed but the price tag was to high. Even when the exchange rate favored the USD.

Hell!!! There is a stupid dealer in PR that wanted 125K for a 2001 GTR. With that kinda money, I would get me a later Ferrari... a 2003-2004.

For 20K down.... I would be driving a Ferrari or a Lambo. Just my 0.02!
Let me guess.....the blue one right? ....sick car though.

Anyway, the problem is that as long as there people out there willing to pay mark ups, they will never stop......and theres always a bunch of guys that will pay them no matter what.

The mark ups on this car are going to be out of this world......lets face it, this has been the most hyped and wanted car for the last couple of years.....but for 120K, i'll buy my dream car....911 GT3.... to bad i cant afford it