Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

k20

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.) Your an idiot
2.) It won't make anyone wet because your gonna destroy an Evo TRYING to make it something dumb as hell.
3.) You won't fine anything to help you make it Front wheel drive except for your stupid friends.

I get dumber every time I took at this thread.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:01 PM

let me ask u this, whos evo is it? mine OK thats what i thought NOW if I choose to F*** Up MY evo then ill go about it in whichever way i see fit.

let me ask u something else, how do breakthroughs or new designs come to life? well places like ams dont just design parts or set up cars that work with the first thing they come up with. im going to school for mechanical engineering and one day i hope to design parts for cars. if i want to expirement and do a lil r&d on, once again, MY evo then its none of ur businiss to criticize tho u will anyway. i simply asked a question if i could get more power out of a k20 and if i could run the same lvl of boost NOT if u thought it was a good idea or not cause it was MY idea and i could care less about what u think.

now please if ur gunna continue criticizing me then hop off the thread cause u obviously dont like what u see and all ur going to do is argue.

P.S. i was talking about getting the k20 to a 4wd not the evo to a fwd

Last edited by Loudestsilence; Dec 17, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

ok...I guess its time to put something useful into this thread since what I predicted, (stupid responces,) have already came true. The honda motor that your talking about is the K20. Without a dought an amazing motor. The head is what really makes it. Honda is known for its great flowing heads. Even back to the D16 days, that SOHC will come within arms reach of flowing as good as an Evo head. Which is why we can run so much boost, the head dosent flow that great. A honda just isnt capable of running that amount of pressure, (in a street car,) and when im saying that much boost I mean 40+lbs. Because the head flows as well as it does it just cant create that much. Which in essence is a good thing...less boost and the same power and less strain on the motor. The other reason the make ALOT of power is because of the compression. High compression and boost make TONS of power! So what im trying to say is that the same amount of boost, on the same turbo yes the honda will make more power but we're compareing apples to oranges. hondas like timing and not alot of boost...same as an STi....Evos like the boost and almost NO timing. So its really 2 different animals. Let me give an example...the guy that posted DIRECTLY below me made 625WHP with an HTA35r at 42 lbs. Im gonna guess and say its a 9:1 motor... My friend's Civic with a B18 benson sleeved and taken to a 1.9L with the SAME turbo at 32lbs 740whp on a dynapack (which are an Ego Killer). the head is stock and the cams are GSR. so nothing special on the motor build.

I guess what im trying to say is that if you dont really KNOW what your trying to do, DONT DO IT! and if your really dont understand the mechanics behind a spacific motor and WHY, or HOW it makes the power it does, your really need to get an EXTREMELY good handle on that before you go cutting up a $35000 Evo, or anything for that matter. This is not a good learn as you go project. The fact of the matter is, once you put a plasma cutter to it...its beyond the point of no return. To be honest even by the grace of God you do make it work, no honda guy OR Mitsu guy will EVER like it, or Buy it from you if you try to sell it. the reason it hasent been done is because nothing good can come from it. It dosent matter what makes more power at X boost lvl. there's 1000WHP Evo's and 1000WHP Civics....Power is just power. it dosent matter how you make it, what you use. or anything. If you raced someone and you were running 25psi and they we're running 15 and you won, and their excuse was "well, its because you're running 10lbs of boost more than me," they're a freakin MORON and dont know anything about anything.

Im done...Im sure there's miss spellings, and run-on sentences, and God knows what else. But, I hope you get my point. Its just not a good idea but its your money, I just dont want to see an EPIC FAIL thread on this or Hondatech.

Last edited by BURNALL_4; Dec 18, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think this is a great idea, way to think outside of the box

You should really research the potential of your motor first before doing something with diminishing returns. Swapping the motor and making it AWD will be nearly impossible with limited resources.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Creamo3
I think this is a great idea, way to think outside of the box

You should really research the potential of your motor first before doing something with diminishing returns. Swapping the motor and making it AWD will be nearly impossible with limited resources.
I've learned something today. Let the fools do what they will, eventually they'll fail and then you can laugh at them after they've spent their savings on a pile of scrap metal.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:43 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
A built turbo K20 is a very powerful engine, but its front wheel drive.
My advice to you is to build your 4B11, because you'd be building the K20 anyway to make it run Evo levels of boost reliably, and the cost of the motor and swap would be astronomical.

Not to mention there is not a good AWD solution out there, and the K20 certainly won't mate to your Mitsubishi components. It would have to be FWD in an Evo. The only way it can be RWD is in an MR car like an Elise or an MR2, which is not configured all too differently than a transaxle based FWD car to start with.

You are thinking too far outside the box. At the end of the day, you would have a high power K20 Evo that would never hook up, have spent more than what it would cost to have a much faster built 4B11, and rendered your car worthless in resale value.

If you want a turbo K20 that bad, sell your car, buy an RSX or Civic and mod the fire out of it. Just get used to only having a car that shines on the highway from an 60mph roll and has no usable power in the real world that actually matters.

I'm not hating, I'm just telling you the truth. Take care.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I can't believe some of you even gave the guy a serious response. I couldn't even understand 90% of the things he was talking about. Mechanical engineer eh? You have some HORRIBLE grammar so are you just starting your GE classes at a community college to transfer? Because you sure got a lot of damn work to do if you want a human being to be able to understand what you're saying I think I got a headache just trying to put together whatever he was trying to say in all his posts........

Last edited by L888Apex; Dec 17, 2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:49 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by BURNALL_4
Let me give an example...the guy that posent DIRECTLY below me made 625WHP with an HTA35r at 42 lbs. Im gonna guess and say its a 9:1 motor... My friend's Civic with a B18 benson sleeved and taken to a 1.9L with the SAME turbo at 32lbs 740whp on a dynapack (which are an Ego Killer). the head is stock and the cams are GSR. so nothing special on the motor build.
I agreed with almost everything you said but this. Every dynapack I've ever seen reads sky high. TurboXS old dynapack read a stock Evo VIII at 254whp. You remove the wheels, they technically show less driveline loss.

Also, mentioning apples to apples, a front wheel drivetrain will draw nowhere near out of the engine what an AWD drivetrain when the rubber meets the road, but I'm sure you know that already.

On a complete side note, the 4B11 head will outflow the 4G63 head in it's sleep, but the rest of the engine needs upgrading for serious power when compared to a 4G63.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should swap it then enjoy your nice shattered K20 trans.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
You should swap it then enjoy your nice shattered K20 trans.
I doubt he will ever get that far
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

maybe this pointless thread will close soon. everyone go play black ops?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by jaredh
maybe this pointless thread will close soon. Everyone go play black ops?
gt5 ftw!!!!!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Loudestsilence
there is REALLY no need to be so hostile i was simply making a thought i had public. i am in NO way a fan of hondas infact i hate them. and the new rsx's are horrendous. now as to the point im trying to make is i kno the K20 has alot more power HP wise. the Tq i was not aware of. the point is still the same id like to swap a motor out which would give me more mod options for bigger gains.

The reason for this being. say i build a 4b11, and an evo with a built 4b11 rolls up next to me, well essentially were the same car. now if i had a motor in my car that allows me to Burn the evo and make him go "OH ****" then my goal was accomplished
sounds like you want to spend a lot of money just to beat another evo in a race. sounds pretty retarded if you ask me.... to top that off, you will always come across someone that'll make you say "damn that ****s fast".

if you want to do a custom build by putting watever motor in watever car you desire, and you want to do this maybe because it hasn't been done before, Great!! I say go for it.

other wise, scrap your idea lol

why don't you use your imagination, and perhaps put your own style and thought into making your car look and drive different then other evo's for example, and im sure if you making it unique enough, people will say "oh ****, that looks/rides sick" without having to do a complete motor drop (k20 or not).

that's just the way i see it
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

i apologize for offending in advance but its a honda fan mentality to drop superior motors into light chassis because standard honda has NO POWER. evo's in stock form already have amazing potential without ever having to do alot to the motor. i dont know see what it would serve besides doing it JUST because you are bored (or have too much money to spend LOL)

ill spell it again for all the noobs.... stock 4b11 or 4g63's are good, spend money on supporting mods!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Quick Reply: k20