Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

k20

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
while in the world of limitless money and foolishness why not swap in a ls1 and retain the awd lol that at least would be something people would buy when ur done with it...
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Spend less and just mod your Evo. Nuff' said.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:02 PM

you should swap a b16 into the trunk so you can have power to your rear wheels while you're at it.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Anyevowilldo
while in the world of limitless money and foolishness why not swap in a ls1 and retain the awd lol that at least would be something people would buy when ur done with it...
I was gonna say the same thing! LOL!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't ruin a mitsu... just buy a civic
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Lol that was great for a couple laughs... thanks to the op. And a few words of advice. Please stay in school kids
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think LS1 in an Evo makes more sense then a K20. Just my opinion.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 01:06 AM
Evolving Member

Go ahead and do this to your Evo and once you are done post up your results so we can all have a good 10 minute laugh at the amount of money you spent to get it done. My guess is that you will end up spending 3x the amount of money with your K20/Evo frankenstein build to make the same amount of power that a built 4B11T will make.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I agreed with almost everything you said but this. Every dynapack I've ever seen reads sky high. TurboXS old dynapack read a stock Evo VIII at 254whp. You remove the wheels, they technically show less driveline loss.

Also, mentioning apples to apples, a front wheel drivetrain will draw nowhere near out of the engine what an AWD drivetrain when the rubber meets the road, but I'm sure you know that already.

On a complete side note, the 4B11 head will outflow the 4G63 head in it's sleep, but the rest of the engine needs upgrading for serious power when compared to a 4G63.
I do agree about the 4B11. i was comparing it to the 4g. I probably should have said that..haha

the dyno at Synapse Motorsport does read very low. a stock S2000 was making about 170whp...im pretty sure that was the #. it was low reguardless. they've had many cars on it with the same results. but, to be honest a dyno is a tuning tool anyway. not that you dont know that. just to give you an idea that Civic that made 740whp @ 32lbs went 10.3 at 142 on 26 lbs which was about 550whp. so its making a bit of power.

Dyno Vid, Unfortunately the 740WHP pull is not on the vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL9BM...eature=related

Track Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP0feHcQXRQ
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Loudestsilence
i kno it sounds kinda strainge but i have alot of honda hoes as buddie and they all brag about the k20 so it go me looking at its specs and the engine dynos with 240hp at 8k+ revs where the 4b11 is at like 155hp then with the turbo pushing 21 lbs of boost the 4b11 is at 291. would i be able to use that same amount of boost on the k20 and would there be alot more power? idk im a mistubishi fanboy but if i can get more power out of the k20 the the 4b11 id go for it.

any comments?
you are an idiot....

if you want honda power, then go back to the honda.

Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by ezzey
sounds like you want to spend a lot of money just to beat another evo in a race. sounds pretty retarded if you ask me.... to top that off, you will always come across someone that'll make you say "damn that ****s fast".

if you want to do a custom build by putting watever motor in watever car you desire, and you want to do this maybe because it hasn't been done before, Great!! I say go for it.

other wise, scrap your idea lol

why don't you use your imagination, and perhaps put your own style and thought into making your car look and drive different then other evo's for example, and im sure if you making it unique enough, people will say "oh ****, that looks/rides sick" without having to do a complete motor drop (k20 or not).

that's just the way i see it
Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
I think LS1 in an Evo makes more sense then a K20. Just my opinion.
i dont see why everyone has to flip out and insult. ive stated once already it doesnt have to be a k20, im not familiar with motors so i was using a small highpowered motor as an example it can be any motor such as an LS1 either way, the point was, putting an engine in that has more possibilities then the 4b11 since even if i build a 4b11 someone else out there has built one too.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bighec
I think he is talking about putting a k20 in his Evo. Terrible idea!!! Also a k20 wouldn't be able to handle the boost levels that the 4b11 can without a perfect tune. Compression is just too high. Stick with the 4b11, and build that. Or buy an RSX and ride the eff out.
WHAT.... stock k20 got hit with 44psi before it blew up lol...
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:35 PM

ok so seeings as obv a k20 wouldnt work my options are what an ls1 to retain the 4wd right? how much boost can i run on it and what about the 4b12t with a different intake manifold that way i wont have the ****ty plastic on like srt-4s have. its compression is also higher at 10.5:1 so would that be a better suited motor?

p.s. why does everyone here assume im doing this to sell it? ive wanted an evo since i was like 8. shes not going ANYWHERE in fact im getting a 2nd one to mess around with soon

Last edited by Loudestsilence; Dec 18, 2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Loudestsilence
ok so seeings as obv a k20 wouldnt work my options are what an ls1 to retain the 4wd right?
Stop posting. You need to get some common sense before we can continue this discussion.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

To the OP:
You're obviously missing the philosophy behind switching engines in cars such as an RX-7 etc like you mentioned earlier. Like everyone else said the drivetrains are already either FWD or RWD. Reliability of the motor is often a factor, and in each case they want to make more power safely. There's really no point in doing what you think is unique because the power capability of the Evo motor is very good therefore dumping all that money to make "more power" would really be inefficient in every sense... this is also the reason why you are receiving so much flak for your "innovative" idea. It's true though, it's your $ and car so you can do whatever you want. It doesn't mean that people can't/won't hate on you for wasting both.

Quick Reply: k20