Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Project Evolution of the Eclipse *Build Thread*

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project Evolution of the Eclipse *Build Thread*

I'm Brandon, I own a B12 Blue, 2002 gs Eclipse. As of August 2011 i've started my build. The motor is already pulled, and at the machine shop. I bought a 2004 Evo 8 cylinder head for the swap, have used the "evo 8 head swap parts list" for the eclipse and purchased all the 'evo 8 motor parts' (example: thermostat housing, camshaft sensor housing, dipstick and tube, evo 8 lower timing belt cover) and so on.

My goal for this build is around 550-625whp. I had my Transmission rebuilt by TRC in Kent, wa. I've blown 2 transmissions now (excluding the new rebuilt one) just from the factory SOHC 2.4L motor with the following mods:

Stage 2 Exedy clutch disk w/ Centerforce Stage 2 Clutch plate & TOB
Megan Racing Header
Megan Racing Short Shifter
Invidia N1 3" Cat-Back Exhaust
Custom Cold Air Intake & Spectra Air Filter
Eibach 3.5" drop springs and AGX struts kit
Vertical Doors Inc Kit w/ 720lb struts
Fidanza 8.3lb Flywheel
Slotted Rotors
Walbro 255 fuel pump (need to buy 2nd one for double pump set up)
Devino-645 18" rims w/ Proxie 4 tires

This is the Mod list for my project:

Aem Ems Series 2
Garrett GTX3582r w/ .82 a/r
ETS Turbo Manifold (38mm wg v-band flange)
Spark Tech COP CDI system
Magnus Intake Manifold w/ Heat Barrier Gasket
GSC s2 274/272 Camshafts
Buschur Racing Dual Pump Hanger
FIC 1150cc Injectors
Clutch Masters Stage 4, 6 puck clutch kit
GSC beehive Springs/Retainers/Seats
HKS Evc-s Boost Controller
AEM Water/Meth Injection
Wideband A/F, Oil Pressure, and Boost Gauges (glowshift)
HKS ssqv4 BOV
AMS Fuel Pressure Regulator
TR10 Intercooler
DC Sport Front & Rear Struts
Tial 38mm Wastegate
Mishimoto Radiator
AMS Black Fuel Rail
PTP Turbo Blanket
STM 3" Test Pipe
Proform 10" Fans
Zaklee Timing Belt Cover
Walbro 255 Fuel pump
Valve cover bolt kit (stm.com)
and Custom Downpipe.

btw, i bought BC 272/272 camshafts, and BC valve springs, and retainers, before knowing they were a Junk company. So i am returning them for the GSC s2's and Beehive springs. was also considering +1mm oversize valves, but i know you can oversize a valve to much, where it's on the very edge of the combustion chamber, therefore making a expensive power LOSS, so i just bought standard ones. I know BC isn't that great of Company but realistically, Valves ARE Valves.

Already Purchased Parts:

BC Stainless Steel Valves
Aem Tru-Time Cam Gears (black) x2
ARP Head Studs
Greddy Kevlar Timing Belt
ACL Rod, Main and Thrust Bearings
Prothane Motor Mount Inserts
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Triple Gauge Pillar Pod (glowshift)
Evo 8 Cylinder Head
Cam Gear bolts
Reluctor & Bolt
Valve Stem Seals x16
Lower Timing Belt Cover
Timing Belt Front & Rear Cover
Camshaft Seals x2
Eclipse Head Gasket
Camshaft sensor Housing & Cover
Dipstick and Dipstick Tube
Intake Manifold Bracket
Rear Water Pipe
Thermostat Housing
Custom Wiseco 9:1 compression Pistons
K1 Rods
Evo 8 Valve Cover
Factory Oil Cap

The Wiseco pistons I had to get custom because when you do the evo 8 head swap on the 4g64 eclipse block, it gives you a 9.8:1 compression ratio when taking each engine specs into consideration and doing a few simple mathmatic equations.

For the Tune I plan on going through Pina Motorsports in Kent, Wa or English Racing in Vancouver, Wa.

Here's some pictures of everything so far because Threads are pointless without Pictures

just some parts

Mods before project

Installing door hinges

Doing Passenger Side

Sanded down Valve cover and prepped for paint (b12 blue)

Polished Thermostat Neck

Random Evo 8 Parts

Here's my old Pistons LOL

i bought the evo 8 intake mani for $85 and realized it wouldn't handle or support 550-600hp so now after i've polished it, it's useless to me.

Spent Hours on this damn things!

BC valves

I'll post some more pictures when i recieve my pistons and rods. they're supposed to ship out on the 30th (December) along with my rods and crank. and i'll update as the project continues.

Thanks For All The Help EvoM community!!!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good except for the doors and rims. Also I know the stock evo IM will make that power.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, a stock intake manifold has supported wayyyy more hp than that.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

That intake manifold is FINE for the power you want to make. You can send it to BR or MAP to port but other than that you'll be quite ok.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:29 AM

Okay, Would it still be benefitial to buy the Magnus though? I know it gives it better flow and I get a hp/tq gain from it. and will the 4g64 block w/4g63 head even support this amount of hp? Not to mention the trans... i've gone through 2 of those already and finally just got it rebuilt instead of buying another used one, hopefully that rebuilt and the Quaife keeps my transmission alive longer.. also when this project nears being finished and i go and get her tuned, i'm doing a MAS delete, i hate that damn thing. i've gone through Three of them in the 2 years.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by 4g64t_dohc
Okay, Would it still be benefitial to buy the Magnus though? I know it gives it better flow and I get a hp/tq gain from it. and will the 4g64 block w/4g63 head even support this amount of hp? Not to mention the trans... i've gone through 2 of those already and finally just got it rebuilt instead of buying another used one, hopefully that rebuilt and the Quaife keeps my transmission alive longer.. also when this project nears being finished and i go and get her tuned, i'm doing a MAS delete, i hate that damn thing. i've gone through Three of them in the 2 years.
Maf sensor? Since your using the aem ems v2 just do speed dinsity.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:00 AM

what do you mean speed density?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:18 AM

Your wanting to remove the maf sensor when you use the aem ems buy a ait kit (intake air temp sensor).
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:22 AM
Evolved Member

If you don't know what speed density is maybe you should stick to doing Lamborghini doors and chrome rims.The build is probably too much for you.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gordian79
If you don't know what speed density is maybe you should stick to doing Lamborghini doors and chrome rims.The build is probably too much for you.
Why don't you just sell the eclipse as is and buy an evo
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:17 AM

This seems like a lot for an Eclipse but everyone has to start somewhere. Interesting build. What ate you doing after is done. Track or just a fast daily driver?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:58 PM

word of advice: Gordain76, maybe you should keep your F&%king comments to yourself, just because i don't know what someone was referring to when they used "speed density" along with the EMS. I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TUNE A CAR USING THIS PRODUCT, so just because i was unaware of a aftermarket air intake temp sensor i am not capable of this build?? that's pretty pathetic dude.

not to start a arguement but i started using this site (instead of club3g) due to ignorant people like you. all the work that has been done to this car and all the work that is going to be done to this car i have done and will be DOING myself, minus the tuning (i do not own a dyno, nor am i going to rent one out and risk messing the tune up or doing it improperly)

money is no issue for this build. I have all the money I could need for this project.

ANYWAYS
I will look into the sensor when i purchase the EMS.
I Bought this car when i was 14, i worked my *** off when i was younger to pay for it, it's my first car (not my only) and has alot of sentimental valve so i'd rather spend 10-15k on fixing it and tuning her out than spending the same for a new car or a evo 8.

This is going to be a weekend/nice weather car. not a daily driver, just a fun little toy for nice summer days. i might take it to the track but i'm not going to thrash on this car.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Just make sure to close the doors when driving close to airports....id hate people to mistake your car for an airplane....

Lol ok im done with the jokes. Looks good man, and its ok you didnt know what SD is, but you need to calm down. Usually when someone says "im going to make 600whp" and "what is speed density?" It usually means they are in way over their head. Even though you dont know how to tune doesnt mean you still dont have to buy the right parts to have it setup correctly. I hope you make some awesome numbers with it and have fun, but you will get flamed a little for some of your setup.

Have fun man.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by 420a-t
Just make sure to close the doors when driving close to airports....id hate people to mistake your car for an airplane....

Lol ok im done with the jokes. Looks good man, and its ok you didnt know what SD is, but you need to calm down. Usually when someone says "im going to make 600whp" and "what is speed density?" It usually means they are in way over their head. Even though you dont know how to tune doesnt mean you still dont have to buy the right parts to have it setup correctly. I hope you make some awesome numbers with it and have fun, but you will get flamed a little for some of your setup.

Have fun man.

lol yeah I understand, just the peple on clubg3 are complete as%holes so not to happy with starting to use the forums. This one is alot better though

As for the build i'm trying to buy top of the line everything with good reviews. I've driven other cars with this kind of power before, but as for mine; This build was NOT planned, I have driven it pretty hard since I was younger. Things started breaking so i'd buy an aftermarket part for whatever broke, then after a while i had the exhaust completely done, the flywheel, clutch, and cold air intake. Anyways, my Camshaft Sensor messed up, I skipped 3 teeth and snapped my timing belt, drive belt and my tranz blew out haha that was a fun night..... After that happened I decided i'd just park the car, and fix all the problems with it, so i figured i'd just tune it out and make it faster! I've been reading alot of stuff since I decided to do this project, also bought a book on the 4g63 engines so I'm not doing this project blind. And I talked to my tuner today and be basically said that I should be aiming for around 450-550hp because i'm expecting too much out of this engine set-up...I thought the 4g63 head Is easily capable of handling 600whp??...but with the combination of the 4g64 block, that's where the fall back comes in. So I guess i'll be aiming more for 450-550hp, but if the motor makes more hp than 550 from this set-up i'll be pleased.

With you saying i'll get flamed for my set-up, are you referring to my parts i'm buying?
Would you suggest different brands or something in that nature? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'd like to do it right the first time!! also i'm going to port the intake side of the head and just knife edge the exhaust side.
and i'm buying +1mm oversized Valves, instead of standard.

Last edited by 4g64t_dohc; Dec 20, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
Why don't you just sell the eclipse as is and buy an evo
lol at the thousandth guy to say this.

Quick Reply: Project Evolution of the Eclipse *Build Thread*