Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Modern rice is... Stance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 04:30 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Modern rice is... Stance

This is an opinion thread. What you choose to do with your car and your money is entirely your prerogative. My intention is to not allow this to be personal attacks (IE: "StancedEvoIX, your car is a piece of crap"), but to learn opinions and motivations about the scene itself, and try not to drag specific member cars in it, especially without their permission. If they post up for discussion, and are willing, that's ok. No matter what side of the fence you're on with this one, please do play nice. Thanks.

Around 15 years ago, rice was the rage. Many people would intentionally try to make their car "look" fast, and it was mostly for show. Big wings, loud exhausts on cars that probably gained 2whp at the most, and aesthetic lighting mods. Most all of these things hurt performance more than helped it. Over time, this fad burned out.

During my very short Volkswagen ownership, I saw stance (rice) to a whole new level that was more uncommon in the Evo world. I felt in the extreme minority wanting to modify my car for performance.

I'd submit that stanced cars are as such:
-Sporting illest/fatlace/shocker/etc. decals.
-Excessively lowered on springs with stock shocks or bagged.
-Have extremely wide wheels (10.5" on an Evo) with a low offset and stretched rubber.
-Lower than usable, destroying handling
-Running more negative camber than usable, decreasing contact patch substantially, destroying handling.
-Unable to pull into a driveway without scraping.

This draws me to the point of the thread. Nowadays, more Evo owners are embracing this scene. I'm unsure why, because these platforms are very performance based. Why use an expensive AWD performance car that is more costly to buy parts for and repair, when it's totally against the design intention of the car? Is it a rebellion thing? Is it a peer pressure thing? Does the younger crown value a fad form over function?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
completely agree 100%
also felt like a minority until i found the rallyx scene and other scca and performance based groups. everywhere i went people were about low, camber, and lip, but its just not comfortable, useable, especially when its your DD.
i've used coilovers on my old subie, s14, ae86, and honda. but never felt the desire to limit my driving and where i could go lol. i put springs on the evo for a few months and am heading back to stock suspension cause its just not a comfy ride
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is the new rice. That's exactly how I have been feeling the entire time. And you hit it spot on. Why use an Evo? That has always been my question. A car that should be used for it performance and excellent handling? It's honestly sacrilegious. I hate saying that but it's painful to see an excellent car being turned into almost inoperable hunk of metal.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by 0mega
It is the new rice. That's exactly how I have been feeling the entire time. And you hit it spot on. Why use an Evo? That has always been my question. A car that should be used for it performance and excellent handling? It's honestly sacrilegious. I hate saying that but it's painful to see an excellent car being turned into almost inoperable hunk of metal.
^^truth
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:29 AM

I totally agree with this thread. You can search Youtube videos and find numerous vids of stanced STI's which does not bother me much, but then you also find the stanced Evo vids it gets dissapointing. It's kind of hard to understand how some people could just destroy the true pleasure of owning and enjoying a prize possesion such as we do. The Evo is a mean and unforgiving vehicle to drive, an Evo is meant to be pushed and leave the driver begging to give the car more. Once you change the set up to a stanced Evo, the car is no longer the same. You can choose so many other vehicles if you just choose appearance and form over functionallity. At the end of the day you can do as you please with your vehicle.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

I think a lot has to do with Evo's becoming more affordable to younger guys.

You can get a used 8 for like 12k!
Old Apr 12, 2014, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with this thread. Now I am not an EVO owner yet but I am always on the look out for many that are. It is rare to see (at least in my geographic area) one that has not bee lowered to practically the ground and still retain that practical look any more. Most times you would see them driving during the warmers months but especially in the Northeast where roads can be unforgiving it kind of gets me how they aren't repairing it constantly. I have never been one to embrace that whole ideal. The idea for me (although I never really did any engine mods but have done a lot of visual mods) was to make sure the car is not only beautiful to look at, fast in standard regard, but also practical (as it is my everyday car and I am poor as ****).

The other part of this is something I don't quite understand. The car starts about about 34,000$ and I will admin I can't afford that yet myself, even with my good paying 9-5 and a family to support. But I am wondering how people can not only purchase one (could even be used) and more money into it to drop it, put crazy colored rims on it, loud exhaust, crazy turbo, and still bring it home a crappy place to live or be on food stamps. That is a little besides the point.

Where I am located I can say that alot of the Evos I see around here are still in the stance(rice) mentality. I could also be the car clubs they hang out in or the meet ups they attend. Many others I see around here may be influenced by the Acura Integra owners. My wife use to have a 97 and until that one was finally dead I can tell you I have seen every single one lowered and "riced" out just like described above. So I think there are many factors to this happenning.

I myself have a GTS hoping to get my first EVO after this and for me the car will not only look great but it is built already to be pretty damn fast, but considering I drive it everyday it will be practically modded. Form and functionality are the keys for me. This stance(rice) ideal seems to be more gross excess (in many cases probably ruins how the car is origianly made and functions) over practicality.

Final though: You can rice out your EVO, but how often do you show it off at a car club, show, or meet up over how long it sits in your driveway or in the grocery store or everyday life? I can understand if it is a 2nd or 3rd car but if it is a primary shouldn't you want to maintain that functionality to extend the life of the car and save you money?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 09:42 PM

I agree with this thread. The whole cambered out stance thing is not my cup o' tea. Right from the first time I seen a car with "stance" I asked a friend why anyone would want to do that? Especially on a car that is supposed to be performance oriented. Personally I just don't see why anyone would want to wear one area on their tires down and put that much more strain on their suspension. I don't know, as I said, just not my cup o' tea. Haha.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Last edited by kpt6; Apr 13, 2014 at 02:10 AM. Reason: nevermind
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I personally don't get the hots from a "stanced" car. I understand it could potentially be cool in an alternative world where most pavements are F-1 race track grade.

But how is it cool if you scratch the front bumper on every ramp?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

^My last X was lowered on springs and I scratched a lot.

Can't even imagine driving some of these cars slammed to the ground.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:21 AM

I use to have a s10 blazer that I slammed and i would never do it again unless I was on airbags and could adjust the height. Driving places was a pain in the rear. I did lower the Evo but only an inch to help get rid of some of the gap. I would not go any lower then I am.

I think this stance thing has become cool since drifting has become more in the spot light. They run big camber on their cars since it helps the car perform. People just copy it.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:30 AM

ricer

So true...its all phases just like with clothes or anything else
Old Apr 14, 2014, 06:08 AM

I can see lowering any car to close the gap but going lower then that I just don't understand.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Nowadays, more Evo owners are embracing this scene.
I hope it is just a few that still have this hang-over from previous groupies.

Quick Reply: Modern rice is... Stance