Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Crap, you got me!
Are we bigger than Suzuki?
didn't they stop making cars? or is that only in the US? if they still make cars I'm thinking Mitsu is prolly bigger
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:38 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Don't know about more recent, but Q1 2015 numbers were Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Daihatsu, Suzuki, Mazda, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Isuzu...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:40 AM
EvoM Guru

^I forgot about Isuzu as well... and Mazda to be honest, but that one is a little embarrassing...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Don't know about more recent, but Q1 2015 numbers were Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Daihatsu, Suzuki, Mazda, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Isuzu...
Isuzu has a best diesel truck engine ever. They never die. its almost annoying.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
I just hope the Yamaha sports concept sees production http://blog.caranddriver.com/yamaha-...torcycle-soul/
probably as a Toyota maybe
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
Na, it was Osamu Masuko who killed the Evo.

‘There will be no more high-performance gasoline-engine Mitsubishis,’ said Masuko, who took the top job at Japan’s sixth biggest car maker in June 2014. ‘Mitsubishi is moving in another direction.’
Mitsubishi's global brand marketing and management were to blame for its downfall... there were many things wrong with that model and it hadn't worked in 15yrs and 2 bailouts but still tried to sell a company on 1 "super car" (that was basically a cult following but no longer top tier competition relevant), a fleet of mediocre cars that did basically nothing and some pickups/suv's that had no real utility unless it was a very limited run special edition.

If there was some draw from Subaru's plan or even Honda the reach would be much more viable but... that's all water under the bridge now.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
I was trying to be funny... You know, sarcasm...
Originally Posted by kaj
not allowed. serious business only, up in here.

Oh gotcha.

Wannabe Ken Blocks' reaction to the video:

Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Ralliart004
Mitsubishi's global brand marketing and management were to blame for its downfall... there were many things wrong with that model and it hadn't worked in 15yrs and 2 bailouts but still tried to sell a company on 1 "super car" (that was basically a cult following but no longer top tier competition relevant), a fleet of mediocre cars that did basically nothing and some pickups/suv's that had no real utility unless it was a very limited run special edition.

If there was some draw from Subaru's plan or even Honda the reach would be much more viable but... that's all water under the bridge now.
I think mediocre is giving it too much credit...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:11 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralliart004

had Mitsu promoted the Evo, maybe it would have done better. Subaru had Ken Block, X Games Rally X, commercials, etc.
what did Mitsu do? nothing that i can remember. it's like they were just going through the motions until they could finally just let it go.

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Oh gotcha.

Wannabe Ken Blocks' reaction to the video:

LOL
Old Jan 29, 2016, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
had Mitsu promoted the Evo, maybe it would have done better. Subaru had Ken Block, X Games Rally X, commercials, etc.
what did Mitsu do? nothing that i can remember. it's like they were just going through the motions until they could finally just let it go

LOL
well, when we offered to bring down a shell of a race evo rally car with cage and the fully ooerational open class rally car. with a full service, including trucks - tents and so on so forth. Also video screens from rally and circuit race etc.
the answere was short but clear,

so what we can contribute to the mitsubishi owners event. And i think even a price for a spot we have to build up the show place...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 01:31 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
what did Mitsu do? nothing that i can remember. it's like they were just going through the motions until they could finally just let it go.
Subaru also had the Outback and Legacy. The WRX/STi is every bit the low volume fan boy car that the Evo is. To most people, Subaru is AWD wagons. Sorry, "Crossovers". Subaru sold 152,000 Outbacks and 100,000 Imprezas (of which 33k were WRX/STi models) in 2015. Throw in another 88k Crosstreks and 60k Legacies.

Mitsubishi hasn't had a similarly popular car in its lineup since ~2002 (Eclipse and Galant both pushed 100k in the early 2000s). Promoting the Evo wouldn't have changed that. Making the Lancer a good car might have.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 01:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS

so what we can contribute to the mitsubishi owners event. And i think even a price for a spot we have to build up the show place...
Wut
Old Jan 29, 2016, 01:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Subaru also had the Outback and Legacy. The WRX/STi is every bit the low volume fan boy car that the Evo is.
I know exactly what you are saying but I have to say the Evo is WAY MORE low volume than the WRX/STi.

Even here in California I can go weeks without seeing one Evo. I see a WRX/STi literally every day.

Also, when I go up to Tahoe, it seriously looks like a Subaru commercial. A TON of WRX/STis. I'm always the only Evo there.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Wut

Just a bit of insight what was going on with Mitsubishi vs other cars like Subaru or Mazda even FOrd...
So I hope this way is more clear.
it was a free event for Mitsubishi owners. So I asked the organizer from Mitsubishi NA. We planning to bring down a rally car with properly caged and build but basically just a skeleton to show the ground up.

Then one open class rally Evo one or two other class EVO's / one Time Attack Evo.

Also tents trucks etc. The whole 9yard.

I did send a plan and asking permittion for this , since we would eat up like 10 car spot etc.
We also noted we do not go there as a vendor ( since we are not one of them) w basically just bring cars down from racing and show it to the enthusiast what they really have .

Talked to the owners , etc.

So I got a short email, back stating < yes we can do it, but they want to know wht we will contribute for the event? Also if I remember right maybe some rafle things too we should have give it to them ( Mitsubishi) so they can raffle it out, and so on so forth.

I got really offended, and I never did show up any event what Mitsubihsi organized.

It was slapping in to your face. Never ever get any help ( Subaru guys can actually get thousands/ year, if they good, as a help from Subaru)

But because of the community I thought what ever we do this for the guys, well that is what Mitsubishi did for us.

( also when I made my car a rally car (from a show car, and decided to race again after years) one forum called TSE did banned me, with all kinds of lies and BS. right after we gokart raced the same night, and I told them we will do a racing team and we will rally the car, I even said I would be happy if I can have they banner on my car as a TSE rally car)

that is my short story about Mitsubishi in the USA. I don't even go there how much still people doesn't even know what they have..

Any how its RS thread doesn't belong here unless we do a paralel with Ford.. I got already more offer from them then I ever heard about Mitsubishi in the USA.

Mitsubishi USA really deserves to go bankrupt.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 29, 2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 02:44 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Wut
That's what I was gonna say LOL

I see a ton of WRX and STis everywhere I go. They may be low volume, but they sold. Those who couldn't afford either settled for a Forester or other car. Subaru did a great job of selling a brand. Mitsu did not.
When I went to the X Games, Subaru had a whole parking lot setup with a trailer that showed rally movies. They gave out water-soaked Subaru towels to cool off with. Subaru swag.
Mitsu was nowhere to be found at ANY event I attended.
We still see the WRX and STi being sold today. No Evo, so.....

Quick Reply: Focus RS