Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 07:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yea, charity auctions don't count towards car value, at all.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i hope. you realize he bought a cause really, that car could be anything.
Yes i realize.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
No.
The brakes are part of the SAWC integration and have nothing to do with inducing yaw movement. They're for safety if you screw up and only restrict in a situation where slip is detected.

SAYC alone induces yaw movement.
Ummm... source?

I need to dig around but I'm pretty sure you are wrong on this one.

I have an '08, but someone with a newer model with the color screen can you confirm this? Here's a quote from another forum, this would confirm that the car uses brakes to induce yaw movement (which I'm 99% confident it does).

In response to a discussion about asc settings:
just fyi, ASC full off does NOT disengage AYC. This is a common missinterpretation, but there is no way to disable the AYC (unless you remove the hydraulic lines I suppose).

ASC modes:
On - Uses brakes and limits power to regain control if slip is detected.
ASC off - A quick button press. This disables the ability of the car to kill throttle when slip is detected, but still will use individual wheel braking to regain control.
ASC off off - Holding the button for 3+ seconds: This removes the ability of the car to use individual braking of wheels.

So, with ASC partial off, the car will individually brake wheels in conjunction with the AYC unit to induce yaw. However, ASC full off never disables to operation of the AYC unit, the AYC unit will still actively distribute power in order to induce yaw.
Yep. It disables the AYC Brake, not AYC.

I think it even says that on the cluster. "AYC Brake Disabled"
Not saying that internet posts are word of god, but can someone with a newer model confirm the screen says "AYC Brake Disabled" when they hold the ASC for 5 seconds?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ddawg1130
Ummm... source?

I have an '08, but someone with a newer model with the color screen can you confirm this? Here's a quote from another forum, this would confirm that the car uses brakes to induce yaw movement (which I'm 99% confident it does).

Not saying that internet posts are word of god, but can someone with a newer model confirm the screen says "AYC Brake Disabled" when they hold the ASC for 5 seconds?
It does. Brake intervention is part of the stability control. The Evo does not use the brakes to induce oversteer, or act as any kind of a "limited slip differential". The brakes are purely used for stability control and it is full defeatable. At which point you only have the Active center and rear diff, and the passive/torsen (mechanical) front diff.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
It still amazes me how little some people know about the cars they own, but think they know so much of cars that aren't even out yet.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab
It still amazes me how little some people know about the cars they own, but think they know so much of cars that aren't even out yet.
But, bro, it has turbo booztz, 4wd, and Brembo brakez! #illest
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:54 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Ummm... source?

i just woke up, so forgive me if my brain is overly foggy... but it sounds like a couple people are implying AYC induces oversteer. from what i've seen, the system reduces under/oversteer, not induces anything. that's the difference between keeping the car on the road safely and turning it into another "drift button".
i could be wrong here. like i said, it's early.

on a semi-related note, we just did an autox driver's school on Sat. one of my co-instructors had a student in a Focus ST. WOW. i really want one now LOL.
the driver was a complete noob and the car was still doing amazing things. he would come out of the corner of our Sweeper Drill at full throttle, inside front tire spinning and smoking like crazy, and the rear of the car STILL ROTATED AROUND. it was like watching an AWD car. all of us just stared with our mouths open. i've never seen one of these cars going full tilt. and from what i hear (i'm not very knowledgeable in autox), these cars are killing it on the national circuit, along with the Fiesta ST.
now... if i take what i saw that day and apply it to an AWD version with more power and torque? oh, muh gawd.
it's gonna turn poor drivers into poor drivers that are still fast (i.e. GTR). imagine what a good driver would be able to do.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
on a semi-related note, we just did an autox driver's school on Sat. one of my co-instructors had a student in a Focus ST. WOW. i really want one now LOL.
the driver was a complete noob and the car was still doing amazing things. he would come out of the corner of our Sweeper Drill at full throttle, inside front tire spinning and smoking like crazy, and the rear of the car STILL ROTATED AROUND. it was like watching an AWD car.
You should get a ride in my Fiesta ST some time. It's like a Focus with 500lbs less and a shorter wheel base. Also has over 300wtq.

I wasn't lying when I said I think it's one of the best handling FWD cars.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 03:12 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by razorlab
You should get a ride in my Fiesta ST some time. It's like a Focus with 500lbs less and a shorter wheel base. Also has over 300wtq.

I wasn't lying when I said I think it's one of the best handling FWD cars.
With whatever electronic wizardry that was going on, I could see that being possible. I was impressed.
The Fiesta ST just shot way up on my "cars to own" list, assuming it has the same features.
I think I found a new daily driver/autox car.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 03:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
With whatever electronic wizardry that was going on, I could see that being possible. I was impressed.
The Fiesta ST just shot way up on my "cars to own" list, assuming it has the same features.
I think I found a new daily driver/autox car.
Yup, I went to test drive one fully thinking it would be a let down and that all the hype was hype.

I ended up loving it and picked one up the next week. That was almost two years ago now.

It was the first test drive where I felt the car was something special since my Evo, and I did ALOT of test drives.

The price helps too.

Not sure if you saw my build thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lo...t-project.html
Old Feb 1, 2016, 03:59 PM
kaj

i just like the idea of a tiny, lightweight pocket rocket. what a great concept.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 04:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
i just like the idea of a tiny, lightweight pocket rocket. what a great concept.
Yup, it's super fun. The ECU is badass and very tunable as well.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 04:57 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Ummm... source?

just fyi, ASC full off does NOT disengage AYC. This is a common missinterpretation, but there is no way to disable the AYC (unless you remove the hydraulic lines I suppose).

ASC modes:
On - Uses brakes and limits power to regain control if slip is detected.
ASC off - A quick button press. This disables the ability of the car to kill throttle when slip is detected, but still will use individual wheel braking to regain control.
ASC off off - Holding the button for 3+ seconds: This removes the ability of the car to use individual braking of wheels.

So, with ASC partial off, the car will individually brake wheels in conjunction with the AYC unit to induce yaw. However, ASC full off never disables to operation of the AYC unit, the AYC unit will still actively distribute power in order to induce yaw.
Yep. It disables the AYC brake, not SAYC.

I think it even says that on the cluster. "AYC Brake Disabled"

Everything in that quote you posted is technically correct. If you press and hold ASC, the HUD does say "AYC brake off", which is where your confusion stems from.

You know this already, but you can prove it easily if you ever overdrive the car on purpose, especially in the wet. Press ASC once to stop engine cut intervention. Press and hold to disable the engine cut and SAWC braking, making the X behave exactly like an Evo IX SAYC system with zero brake intervention that the rest of the world (except the USA) has. You cannot override SAYC by pressing any button combination, nor would you want to, because you'd effectively have an open rear differential.

SAYC itself transfers torque, it doesn't limit like the "e-diff" in the STI or XDS in a VW.

Source: I know how SAYC works. I've owned 3 SAWC Evo Xs and driven 2 SAYC Evos pre X (VI & VII).

If you're stubborn:
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/...ary/s-awc.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_S-AWC
Old Feb 1, 2016, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Everything in that quote you posted is technically correct. If you press and hold ASC, the HUD does say "AYC brake off", which is where your confusion stems from.

You know this already, but you can prove it easily if you ever overdrive the car on purpose, especially in the wet. Press ASC once to stop engine cut intervention. Press and hold to disable the engine cut and SAWC braking, making the X behave exactly like an Evo IX SAYC system with zero brake intervention that the rest of the world (except the USA) has. You cannot override SAYC by pressing any button combination, nor would you want to, because you'd effectively have an open rear differential.

SAYC itself transfers torque, it doesn't limit like the "e-diff" in the STI or XDS in a VW.

Source: I know how SAYC works. I've owned 3 SAWC Evo Xs and driven 2 SAYC Evos pre X (VI & VII).

If you're stubborn:
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/...ary/s-awc.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_S-AWC
VII and down it was only AYC so for an example the TME you drove, had the AYC only

sorry
Old Feb 1, 2016, 07:01 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
VII and down it was only AYC so for an example the TME you drove, had the AYC only

sorry
Yeah, it was old school AYC and not SAYC like the VII - IX. You can easily still feel it doing it's thing, though. There was a semi-local VII I had some time with too.

Quick Reply: Focus RS