Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Robevo RS derails every thread megamerge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Yay! It's totally stock, expect for the racing brake pads, and the upgraded suspension, and the roll cage, and the lack of an interior. But nope, it's practically the same as when it rolled off the showroom floor.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 08:13 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
roll cages make the car stiffer and that's a performance upgrade :P

*stir*
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Stock is as the car sits as provided by the manufacturer. As soon as you change something, it is no longer stock.
That.

And hilarious thread title. There are a few who post on this site who I just skip over reading their posts and go to the next one.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 02:02 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by warmmilk
I really don't see how keeping the factory spring location affects any of that? sure it might be a little more difficult/involved since you have to adjust the spring seat height and damper length... but how its it limiting in any of those other 3? well maybe ride height, but I've never been a mad slam stance type of guy and I have 0 sympathy for any idiot who is...

and for cars like this, I prefer to keep the oem style setup instead of converting to a true coilover type, big portion of that is cause the stock mounting point wasn't designed to support a spring, especially an aftermarket super heavy spring.

and as far as SCCA's rules, they should get off their *** and get with the times and update the rules for modern cars. this is a very common design, and aftermarket conversion to true coilover is a very common mod... this is kinda on par with roll cages still being required for any car in the 10's when there are tons of cars that can run 10's bone stock, or with minimal mods these days
SCCA has some very strange rules. i had a friend swap their Scion badge for a Toyota one and were told that was illegal. she showed me the rule. it's real. LOL. we theorize it's to keep, for example, an Integra Type R to be run as a basic Integra. meh, who knows.

as for the roll cage rule, just because the car can run 10s from the factory doesn't mean it's safe to. i'm sure they would rather not have people die on their tracks LOL. we've all seen people with a lot of money that can't drive. imagine them all flooding onto your local drag strip.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 03:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj

as for the roll cage rule, just because the car can run 10s from the factory doesn't mean it's safe to. i'm sure they would rather not have people die on their tracks LOL. we've all seen people with a lot of money that can't drive. imagine them all flooding onto your local drag strip.
I'd rather have them learn on the track then on the street...

and I'm not saying all cars should get the 10s rule changed. going 10's in a fox body mustang is wildly different than a GTR with a couple bolt-on's... In the fox body 8 times out of 10 you're on the edge of spinning and totaling through out the whole run, in a GTR its kinda boring after you've done it a couple times... Just saying it should be applied with some discretion, not just everything that runs a 10.99 gets booted
Old Nov 9, 2015, 04:39 PM
kaj

I'd rather have them learn on the track then on the street...

and I'm not saying all cars should get the 10s rule changed. going 10's in a fox body mustang is wildly different than a GTR with a couple bolt-on's... In the fox body 8 times out of 10 you're on the edge of spinning and totaling through out the whole run, in a GTR its kinda boring after you've done it a couple times... Just saying it should be applied with some discretion, not just everything that runs a 10.99 gets booted
I agree. But the tracks have insurance they gotta pay, so they want a roll cage.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 05:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I agree. But the tracks have insurance they gotta pay, so they want a roll cage.
but these rules are set by the NHRA, and the tracks use those rules. So if the NHRA changes their rules the tracks will use those

but it doesn't really matter much to me, I'm not planning to buy a 10 sec capable car anytime soon anyway
Old Nov 9, 2015, 05:58 PM
kaj

but these rules are set by the NHRA, and the tracks use those rules. So if the NHRA changes their rules the tracks will use those

but it doesn't really matter much to me, I'm not planning to buy a 10 sec capable car anytime soon anyway
Well, of course. Rules based on safety and risk (insurance/lawsuits/etc). Nobody wants dead drivers and lawsuits so rules are in place.

Fair enough, IMO.

But man, modern cars sure are fast. I can't afford any of them either LOL
Old Nov 9, 2015, 06:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Well, of course. Rules based on safety and risk (insurance/lawsuits/etc). Nobody wants dead drivers and lawsuits so rules are in place.

Fair enough, IMO.

But man, modern cars sure are fast. I can't afford any of them either LOL
I'm more annoyed with SCCA autox class rules. they all have such peculiar mod restrictions. its so easy to get into a Modified class, and then if you don't have a high 5 figure autox special beast you just can't compete... I just end up running time only cause of that...

can't there be a common mod's street car type of class that allows no cat...
Old Nov 9, 2015, 07:08 PM
kaj

I'm more annoyed with SCCA autox class rules. they all have such peculiar mod restrictions. its so easy to get into a Modified class, and then if you don't have a high 5 figure autox special beast you just can't compete... I just end up running time only cause of that...

can't there be a common mod's street car type of class that allows no cat...
haha. yep. i run OSP because i have mods that don't really fit anywhere else. it's easier to just run that class. i never took autox into account when building my car, so it's no big deal to me.
i see some really fast Evos at autox, but they aren't anything i'd want for road course.

IMO: building a decent track car and getting beat at autox > building an autox car and getting beat at the race track. LOL. depending on your priorities, that is. autox rewards a car being as stock as possible, and i'm okay with that. it's not really geared towards race cars and i think that's pretty cool.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 08:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
haha. yep. i run OSP because i have mods that don't really fit anywhere else. it's easier to just run that class. i never took autox into account when building my car, so it's no big deal to me.
i see some really fast Evos at autox, but they aren't anything i'd want for road course.

IMO: building a decent track car and getting beat at autox > building an autox car and getting beat at the race track. LOL. depending on your priorities, that is. autox rewards a car being as stock as possible, and i'm okay with that. it's not really geared towards race cars and i think that's pretty cool.
yeah, I agree. I never build my car for any class, I build it how I like it and then have to find a class to fit it into...

I really don't understand people that dump tons of cash into an autox only car. Last time I went to an autox, there was a guy with an e92 m3 that only autox'd the car. trailered to and from the event, never on a road course, never on the street... just autox. I don't understand blowing that much money on the car, plus all the mods that were done to it (was a sh*t load), to only enjoy it for a combined 12 minutes (if you're really lucky, more likely 4-6) per weekend? and not even every weekend... and here in the northwest, only during the season...
Old Nov 10, 2015, 06:47 AM
kaj

yeah, I agree. I never build my car for any class, I build it how I like it and then have to find a class to fit it into...

I really don't understand people that dump tons of cash into an autox only car. Last time I went to an autox, there was a guy with an e92 m3 that only autox'd the car. trailered to and from the event, never on a road course, never on the street... just autox. I don't understand blowing that much money on the car, plus all the mods that were done to it (was a sh*t load), to only enjoy it for a combined 12 minutes (if you're really lucky, more likely 4-6) per weekend? and not even every weekend... and here in the northwest, only during the season...
It's just their thing. I understand the convenience. Well, except when they travel. I'd just run a kart. They think we're crazy for putting all the time and money into our cars to do unsanctioned effects (hpde) or risking a high-speed crash (especially if a car is still being paid on), etc. They don't say much about the full-on road racing events.
I guess the same could be said about drag racing. All that money into a car to go straight for a few seconds. LOL
Old Nov 10, 2015, 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 725 Likes on 567 Posts

Well theres really three types of AutoXers. The new guys, Try hards, and run what ya brung. Once you move to one of the later groups you'll probably never understand the other group.

I'm in that group that has an AutoX only car (also in the NW) that's just trailered around. I love the competition and friends, but I especially love trying to manage a car that pulls over a 1g in all directions (braking, turning, accel..). I care about acceleration and jerk, not velocity. So on track is fun an all, but 4th gear accel is boring compared to 2nd gear. And being able to push past 10/10s without worry is much more exciting to me.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 08:40 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Dallas J
. So on track is fun an all, but 4th gear accel is boring compared to 2nd gear. .
i think this is one of the differences in thinking. i've never been bored reaching front straight speeds.
going 10/10 with no consequence is fun, but so is the challenge of balancing aggression and common sense on a road course.
i have fun with friends at autox, but in no way is it a substitute for a Time Attack event or even HPDE. it seems road course and autox people are very much polarized. there are very few that view both the same. most people are heavily drawn to one or the other.

i've never had an autox person bored during a ride along on a road course, but i've had a few people that do track days be a bit less than impressed with autox. i think that's mostly due to the seat time, though. it's hard to go from 80-100mins of driving in a day down to 3-5mins.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Well theres really three types of AutoXers. The new guys, Try hards, and run what ya brung. Once you move to one of the later groups you'll probably never understand the other group.

I'm in that group that has an AutoX only car (also in the NW) that's just trailered around. I love the competition and friends, but I especially love trying to manage a car that pulls over a 1g in all directions (braking, turning, accel..). I care about acceleration and jerk, not velocity. So on track is fun an all, but 4th gear accel is boring compared to 2nd gear. And being able to push past 10/10s without worry is much more exciting to me.
4th gear accel is boring? My car still has me pinned in the seat at 135 after I grab 5th, it's a little ridiculous. Autocross is fun but It's never as much as fun going into a double apex decreasing radius turn complex like turn 8 and 9 at big willow at 140+ with the car getting a little loose on the brakes

Quick Reply: Robevo RS derails every thread megamerge