Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.
View Poll Results: What do you think of the SRT4?
The car is sick!! I\'d get one in a second...
18.47%
The performance is nuts, but the styling sucks
28.03%
It\'s alright for the money
31.21%
If I had nothing but money I\'d get one
8.92%
They suck, i\'ll never buy one!
13.38%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

SRT-4 | Anything and Everything [ALL THREADS MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2003, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SRT4 has already run a 14.1 @ 99mph stock and the same owner will dyno it this weekend. I am sure that with a few subtle suspension mods this car will rock @ autoX as well.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by buster

Funny coming from a guy with a Spec V, those haven't had any problems.....huh?
Nope. Mine's perfect. Always has been. I've sold about 4-5 of them to customers too. Only one that has come back for anything but oil changes blew his motor running too much turbo boost.

Also, I've drivne LOTS of 40-60k mile Neon's and they are ALL pretty ratty already even at that young age. Every Nissan I have ever driven of similar age (and again, that's quite a lot of them) has aged very well.

And I've never seen a Nissan with the Neon's infamous removable paint problem.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 01:17 PM

Sorry 2nd gen's don't have that problem, totally different car.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Ben

No I understand completely, if that tells you what I think of the Lancer.

The lancer may be a little nicer, but it's still just a FWD econobox to me. Sorry if that offends anyone, but that's my opinion. I'll never own a FWD vehicle.
A little nicer?!?!?!?

The Lancer is actually, from a quality perspective, probably the best car Mitsubishi has ever sold in the United States. Last year at the annual meeting in Chicago, the dealer service reps were told to upsell product because they were not going to make anything on warranty claims on the Lancer. In it's first year the Lancer had the lowest number of warranty claims of any vehicle Mitsubishi has sold in the U.S. in its history.

The Neon on the other hand...

I do have to wonder, if you hate FWD vehicles so much, why are you even in here and in particular, why are you posting on this topic.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Guys, the Lancer is a **** box? Im not being biased here, the Lancer is no ****box. Econobox, yes. Trust me, when I see my dads Accord going in for more recall and warrenty work than my car, I hardly classify the Lancer as a **** box. I pound the **** out of mine and its still running strong. To each is their own though....oh yea and for the money you cannot beat the SRT-4.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

hey isnt SRT-4 powered by mitsubishi 2.4 turboed engine? i forgot where i heard that..just wondering if its true?!
Old Feb 22, 2003, 04:16 PM
Ben
Evolving Member

Like I said, the quality may be a little nicer, but they're still both slow economy cars. Same class. So if the SRT4 is a POS because it's based off a slow economy car, then by that logic the EVO would be a POS because it's based off a slow economy car.

I'm posting here because I do like the SRT4 for it's performance. I just wouldn't buy one because driving a FWD isn't fun to me.

Originally posted by Mark F

A little nicer?!?!?!?

The Lancer is actually, from a quality perspective, probably the best car Mitsubishi has ever sold in the United States. Last year at the annual meeting in Chicago, the dealer service reps were told to upsell product because they were not going to make anything on warranty claims on the Lancer. In it's first year the Lancer had the lowest number of warranty claims of any vehicle Mitsubishi has sold in the U.S. in its history.

The Neon on the other hand...

I do have to wonder, if you hate FWD vehicles so much, why are you even in here and in particular, why are you posting on this topic.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Ben
Like I said, the quality may be a little nicer, but they're still both slow economy cars. Same class. So if the SRT4 is a POS because it's based off a slow economy car, then by that logic the EVO would be a POS because it's based off a slow economy car.

I'm still failing to get the connection between build quality and the fact these are marketed as economy cars.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by pearlwhiteoz
hey isnt SRT-4 powered by mitsubishi 2.4 turboed engine? i forgot where i heard that..just wondering if its true?!
No.

Mitsubishi provides the turbo, the rest of the motor is all Chrysler. Note that the bore and stroke are different than on the Mitsu 4G64.
Old Mar 2, 2003, 09:57 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
SRT-4's are hitting the street plus video

Well, since the current asking price is $45,000 from one California dealership for an EVO, the Neon at $22,000 (nicely equipped) is looking better for straight line dry pavement fun!

Here is a link to a video of a street race between a WRX and a stock SRT-4.

http://staff.tcu.edu/jaltschul/SRT-4vsWRX_vs_Talon.WMV

Speedlimit........
Old Mar 2, 2003, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

i'd hate to admit it, but the new neon is one hell of a car. it can't compete with our favorite cars in our minds, but it is one hell of a car.. but damnit it's still a neon!!
Old Mar 2, 2003, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

the performance isn't bad at all.... but it's like taking say a geo metro and pimping it out...
Old Mar 2, 2003, 10:27 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Maybe our dislike of the Neon goes to back to that happy face commercial with the pop up "nicely equipped". LOL.

Speedlimit......
Old Mar 2, 2003, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

look at the SCC dyno #'s on the SRT-4

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/fe...dge/index.html

now thats an underrated car
Old Mar 2, 2003, 10:38 PM

Build a car make it cheap, make it popular, make it break down every friggin month now where is this world coming too? OMFG the f*ck up and turn the neon into the P/T cruiser and then after that they try and fix the friggin neon. Cmon people its still the worst built car in North America

If you want a good quality car you pay $$$ for it not try and get yourself something that can blow away a wrx for a month then have to spend about 5 Large to fix it after you blew out the motor.

Quick Reply: SRT-4 | Anything and Everything [ALL THREADS MERGED]