Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Civic Type R

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Ahh, some days I want to trade in the evo for the R and then some days I don't depending on what I hear about it. I'm definitely drawn to the R for some odd reason. It's unfortunate that all the dealers nearby that sell at MSRP are sold out and the ones that are left are sitting on the lot at dealerships with either accessories people don't want or markups. I think it's silly people are still paying ADM on this car at this point. As much as I love my X, I can see myself eventually switching over to a Type R. Have a great handling car that's quick out the box, lightweight with phenomenal handling is a W.
The following users liked this post:
Noize (Dec 11, 2018)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 06:52 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
are these canned tunes, same flash sent out to everyone? or is it a custom tune for each individual car? if they're doing custom tunes, you can ask the tuner to keep the stock power delivery characteristics instead of going max gain everywhere in the rev range... I mean there's a reason why all these new gen turbo cars are seeing ridiculous torque gains, manufacturer's don't max out (max out for oems that is) at every rpm... then a tuner comes in and "OMG 100 WHEEL TQ GAINZ!!!" at 3000rpm... I'd look at what the gain is throughout the last 1000rpm and ask the tuner to make the same torque gain throughout the rev range... well maybe same +10%
While a custom tune can certainly lower that torque, most of it is characteristic of the small turbo. It’s not too easy to make power up top.

Last edited by Noize; Dec 11, 2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 07:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
I think the best bet here is to leave it alone and just enjoy it as-is.
bwhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahah. Sure ya will.

Old Dec 11, 2018, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jayevo23
Ahh, some days I want to trade in the evo for the R and then some days I don't depending on what I hear about it. I'm definitely drawn to the R for some odd reason. It's unfortunate that all the dealers nearby that sell at MSRP are sold out and the ones that are left are sitting on the lot at dealerships with either accessories people don't want or markups. I think it's silly people are still paying ADM on this car at this point. As much as I love my X, I can see myself eventually switching over to a Type R. Have a great handling car that's quick out the box, lightweight with phenomenal handling is a W.
Stick with the Evo, The newer cars seem to have way too much aides and make driving fast or spirited less fun..
jayevo23 (Dec 11, 2018)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
I was at Buttonwillow for the Time Attack final Superlap Battle, and I saw truly well put together simple project Civics.

One stood out being from East Coast tuners that do everything low-cost, low key, yet are very accomplished builders-servicers of Porsche - Cup cars, GTB1 Caymans, and such.

https://www.unitedspeedracing.com/index.php
Run by Jason Owens.

They recommended replacing front pipe/downpipe with theirs (or another), keeping OEM exhaust - or modifying it by changing just the muffler (or removing the muffler).
In addition, ECU Flash tune on dyno, intercooler and maybe an intake or just filter.
With just that they can get to about 400whp on DJ, or close even is close enough.

I would talk to them, to get an idea what and how much, what will be the change.

For wheels, I saw this company wheels on Type-R and they looked amazing.
https://titan-7.com/

I would consider 18x9.5, 19.1lb weight.
Not bad.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 03:07 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX
Stick with the Evo, The newer cars seem to have way too much aides and make driving fast or spirited less fun..
LOL. It's FWD with one click defeat stability control. It has less even less driving assist than an Evo.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 03:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

While a custom tune can certainly lower that torque, most of it is characteristic of the small turbo. It’s not too easy to make power up top.
yeah thats kinda my point, just raise the torque till torque steer and/or wheel spin out of corners becomes an issue, then back it back down a bit...
Old Dec 11, 2018, 03:24 PM
EvoM Guru

LOL. It's FWD with one click defeat stability control. It has less even less driving assist than an Evo.
Doesn't it have adjustable dampeners and torque vectoring as well?

BTW, my Fiesta ST on E40 made over 305 tq to the wheels at 3100 rpm with no torque steer and it had an open diff. You can make more torque and not worry about it.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 03:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
For wheels, I saw this company wheels on Type-R and they looked amazing.

I would consider 18x9.5, 19.1lb weight.
Not bad.
Titan7 wheels are cool and all, but their offsets are on the "lets pretend scrub radius isn't a thing" side...
Old Dec 11, 2018, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I should have looked closer at the Civic as I assumed it was like most newer cars. I have not seen the Civic R at our local autocross events yet. I would like to see one compete. I left the FWD cars a few years ago when moving to the Evo. I was a previous owner of Focus ST and also enjoyed my brothers Fiesta ST which was well tuned. I think the Fiesta ST is the better car and had more fun factor comparing the two. The issue with the Fiesta ST is not everyone can fit in them and enjoy what they offer.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
It's not an Evo X in terms of driver's aids if that's what you mean.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 04:26 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Especially compared to the X.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm guessing you know this but to fully disable stability controls you have to do the "pedal dance."

1. Turn off e-brake and turn ignition on

2. Press and hold brake pedal, press VSA off, then VSA on

3. Put e-brake on, release brake pedal, then VSA off, VSA on

4. Press and hold brake pedal, VSA off, VSA on

I got an 18 Si sedan to daily and am really enjoying it. Surprisingly direct and nimble feeling. So tempted to get a k-tuner but the clutch and warranty keeping that on the back burner.
Noize (Dec 12, 2018)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Doesn't it have adjustable dampeners and torque vectoring as well?

BTW, my Fiesta ST on E40 made over 305 tq to the wheels at 3100 rpm with no torque steer and it had an open diff. You can make more torque and not worry about it.
Do you know how well does a Fiesta ST runs on 87 octane?

Eventually, for your second Fiesta ST you just left it completely stock. Was that because of the short 2 years lease or because it really is more fun in stock form?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by moparfan
Do you know how well does a Fiesta ST runs on 87 octane?
No idea, I never run any of my cars on anything less than 91 oct.

Originally Posted by moparfan
Eventually, for your second Fiesta ST you just left it completely stock. Was that because of the short 2 years lease or because it really is more fun in stock form?
Both where leases. For the second FiST, I just tuned the ECU and ran E40. Only reason I modded the first one (coilovers, BBK, fmic) was because I was tracking it a little bit and was going to sell my Evo 10. Then I flipped the script and started modding and tracking my Evo 10 more.

Quick Reply: Civic Type R