Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Civic Type R

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Dammit, now you got me considering a Type R rather than a Golf R. Have you driven yours in snow?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 01:58 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Dammit, now you got me considering a Type R rather than a Golf R. Have you driven yours in snow?
Not yet here in Nashville. Lots of people are up north with a second set of wheels on snow tires.
They’re both rather nice cars in their class, so neither is a bad choice. Do you want a comfortable grand tourer or a handling focused special with high resale value?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I keep flipping between the two.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would say it depends on what you want in a car. From what I'm hearing and seeing on YouTube, the R isn't very quick in a straight line at least from a dig. I believe one guy said he has bolts on and a tune and struggles with traction up until 3rd or 4th gear. So if you're looking for a car to heavily mod, I wouldn't go with the R. But the steering/brakes/handling/shifter/ride quality are very good. If you want a car that's capable on the track and daily driver friendly that you're not gonna mod too much I would go with the R.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX
I should have looked closer at the Civic as I assumed it was like most newer cars. I have not seen the Civic R at our local autocross events yet. I would like to see one compete. I left the FWD cars a few years ago when moving to the Evo. I was a previous owner of Focus ST and also enjoyed my brothers Fiesta ST which was well tuned. I think the Fiesta ST is the better car and had more fun factor comparing the two. The issue with the Fiesta ST is not everyone can fit in them and enjoy what they offer.

......if Matt Farah can fit in one. Just sayin
Old Dec 17, 2018, 08:01 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX
I should have looked closer at the Civic as I assumed it was like most newer cars. I have not seen the Civic R at our local autocross events yet. I would like to see one compete. I left the FWD cars a few years ago when moving to the Evo. I was a previous owner of Focus ST and also enjoyed my brothers Fiesta ST which was well tuned. I think the Fiesta ST is the better car and had more fun factor comparing the two. The issue with the Fiesta ST is not everyone can fit in them and enjoy what they offer.
I dunno about autox, but a guy I know took his CTR to Buttonwillow and was keeping up with his buddy in a C5z. My friend is basically a noob driver while is friend is intermediate.
He said he turned a lot of heads and people asking what he had done to it.
I can't get him to tell me lap times ,though.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jayevo23
I would say it depends on what you want in a car. From what I'm hearing and seeing on YouTube, the R isn't very quick in a straight line at least from a dig. I believe one guy said he has bolts on and a tune and struggles with traction up until 3rd or 4th gear. So if you're looking for a car to heavily mod, I wouldn't go with the R. But the steering/brakes/handling/shifter/ride quality are very good. If you want a car that's capable on the track and daily driver friendly that you're not gonna mod too much I would go with the R.
he prolly has one of those tunes that adds like 100tq at 3-4k rpm... what do you expect from a fwd car with a crap ton of torque? that kinda tune works great for awd cars, but you gotta do things a bit more carefully with fwd. that being said, I agree with you, if you're after straight line speed, this isn't the car.

ps. tires make a big difference too, Miles from English has over 1000whp with his fwd Integra and puts the hurt on GT-R's and TT'd Lambo's in half mile races...
Old Dec 18, 2018, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Call me crazy, but after test driving the Type R I actually prefer the evo over it. I was kinda of timid driving it cause it was a new car and wasn't dead set on purchasing it and was given instruction not to go over 50 mph. I'm not surprised that it holds the records it does as the handling was amazing as everyone who has driven one stated, but I just wasn't really wowed after driving it and wouldn't trade my evo in for one either. To me, it really wasn't all that comfortable to drive either with the seats hugging you really tight. It really is a beautiful car though as I drove a white one and maybe I'll get one later down the road once the evo is paid off who knows. I really do appreciate the evo a lot more after driving the Type R. Sorry this post wasn't super descriptive and detailed, but as stated I really didn't have that much time with the car. I'm sure its a good car I just don't know at this time it's my cup of tea
Old Dec 19, 2018, 08:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
he prolly has one of those tunes that adds like 100tq at 3-4k rpm... what do you expect from a fwd car with a crap ton of torque? that kinda tune works great for awd cars, but you gotta do things a bit more carefully with fwd. that being said, I agree with you, if you're after straight line speed, this isn't the car.

ps. tires make a big difference too, Miles from English has over 1000whp with his fwd Integra and puts the hurt on GT-R's and TT'd Lambo's in half mile races...
Myles's car is also still on the TC in 5th if the surface isn't great lol. It basically spins the whole way to 200+
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Myles's car is also still on the TC in 5th if the surface isn't great lol. It basically spins the whole way to 200+
but its still able to put down enough power to walk a lot of high power RWD and AWD cars...
Old Dec 31, 2018, 03:16 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Build* thread up.

*using that word very, very loosely at this point.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/noize...project.31878/