Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST - is Ford trying to clear them out?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
That is correct. However the North American 2016's did get a suspension and possibly a rear beam upgrade. Hard to tell if it's the same as the ST200 though.

My 2014 was under sprung and over dampened and it rode kinda crappy on the hwy. My 2016 feels just right and rotates with more control, so it could be the same "upgrade" as the ST200

You should go test drive a Fiesta ST. I did in 2014, thinking the car was just hype. I could tell two blocks into the test drive that it wasn't and it was pretty special for what it is. Here I am 3 years and two Fiesta ST's later.

It's a blast around town and even on track.
I saw the thread on your first Fiesta ST - did you do similar things to the second ST or did you leave it stock-ish?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
FiST is first on the list when lease is up on current GDI-t warm hatch, almost pulled the trigger earlier this year but they didn't have the car I wanted SS Recaros, Nav, the dark grey color (forgot the name now maybe "metallic").

Drove a non recaro FiST, nope. Then he brings around a Non-Recaro BaseBaseBase FoST and says he'll do the deal on this car if I take it now, test drove it, quicker but meh, I'd need the loaded one.

I left, I'm going to drive the new kids once I'm ready to decide what I want to do with the current lease, I may just keep it. Only gripe is the lack of IMO a viable tuning option, call me spoiled.Hahaha, That isn't the case in a few of the new models I want to look at.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 08:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
I saw the thread on your first Fiesta ST - did you do similar things to the second ST or did you leave it stock-ish?
It's totally hardware stock. Just a accesstuner tune (by myself) and E40 fuel.

Both my Fiesta ST's have been fully loaded, Recaros, Nav, Sunroof, red brakes. It's barely that much more money once you go Recaros and makes it that much nicer.

I've been in a ton of bottom model economy cars and the Fiesta is LEAGUES better than all of them. Keep in mind I'm also a not a large man so the Fiesta fits me well. (170lbs, 5'9")

Just go into the interior with the right expectations. It's the lowest economy car Ford makes, not an Audi.

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
FiST is first on the list when lease is up on current GDI-t warm hatch, almost pulled the trigger earlier this year but they didn't have the car I wanted SS Recaros, Nav, the dark grey color (forgot the name now maybe "metallic").
The grey metallic is super hard to find. I wanted that color so badly for my second Fiesta ST. Couldn't find one anywhere and especially not in the options I wanted.

They also have a new color called orange spice that is kinda cool, if you are into different colors. But yea the grey metallic is great.

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 6, 2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

With a simple tune and E40 it's making 330wtq/220whp. Great steering, great chassis. It's a raw car like the Evo.
On whatever dyno you did 330wtq on, what is the max safe wtq for an Evo X?!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 09:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I'm 6'1 and 240, other than recaro seat being on the snug side, I fit great in the FiST. And I'm sure the seat would break in for me within a month or two of daily driving. It's a great car. I borrowed a friends 2015 for a week earlier this year when both of my vehicles were down for repairs.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Tracking down the handling improvement in later STs vs earlier STs...

"The ST200’s chassis has been tweaked with slightly softer springs and dampers all round and a stiffer rear torsion beam and front anti-roll bar – both by 33 per cent – in an effort to improve both ride quality and handling precision. Those upgrades were quietly rolled out on all Fiesta STs at the end of last summer, however, so they’re not unique to the ST200.

You’d need to be very familiar with earlier versions of the ST to notice those chassis teaks. In isolation the two cars behave in much the same way, but the increased roll stiffness and slightly more neutral chassis balance are evident. On bumpy roads the car does feel very tautly sprung at low speeds, despite the softer spring rates, but that does settle once on the move. The ST200 is every bit as entertaining as the standard car, but ultimately it doesn’t do anything the ST cant’ do."

http://www.evo.co.uk/ford/fiesta-st/page/0/3

I've been looking but I can't find evidence that the euro and US STs are tuned differently. The road testing and tuning were done in Germany for both. For a "cheap" model the reason given for ST200 changes being available for all euro STs would argue for the same changes to all STs, even the mexico ones.

These changes also happens to jive with your report of better 2016 ST handling vs 2014 STs in terms of when they rolled out those changes "last summer" (2016).

Last edited by moparfan; Jun 6, 2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 05:35 PM
EvoM Guru

On whatever dyno you did 330wtq on, what is the max safe wtq for an Evo X?!
It is on vdyno.

Not sure what this has to do with a Evo X.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

It is on vdyno.

Not sure what this has to do with a Evo X.
Only in the sense that it doesn't blow up and is stoutly built.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 06:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Only in the sense that it doesn't blow up and is stoutly built.
There are a bunch of owners with 270-300whp / 300wtq running around with stock frame turbo upgrades on stock clutch still.

Engine is pretty stout.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

see around 1:30 for comments about "one" Fiesta ST:

Old Jun 6, 2017, 09:40 PM
EvoM Guru

That statement is 100% false and from four years ago. No four door in Europe. Only four door in North America.

Plus all the other things I already stated.

You can even see most of the differences I stated in that very video.

Couple more things that are different:

Front bumper cover (grill is different)
Front bumper crash bar (smaller bar)
MAF Europe vs MAP for North America
ECU
Auto headlights (euro)
Rain sensing wipers (euro)
Rear parking sensors (euro)
Power fold door mirrors with puddle lights (euro)
Halogen projectors with LED DRLs (euro)
Auto-dimming rear view mirror (euro)

Euro interior:

North American interior:

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 6, 2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

That statement is 100% false and from four years ago. No four door in Europe. Only four door in North America.

Plus all the other things I already stated.

You can even see most of the differences I stated in that very video.

Couple more things that are different:

Front bumper cover (grill is different)
Front bumper crash bar (smaller bar)
MAF Europe vs MAP for North America
ECU
Auto headlights (euro)
Rain sensing wipers (euro)
Rear parking sensors (euro)
Power fold door mirrors with puddle lights (euro)
Halogen projectors with LED DRLs (euro)
Auto-dimming rear view mirror (euro)

Euro interior:

North American interior:

I am being imprecise with what I mean. Yes, to all those differences you listed.

But the thing of interest to me is the suspension and drivetrain, which seems to be the same. I'm trying to find official verification of that either way. But the best I/we have is your direct experience of the handling differences which seem to be echoed in the Evo article. I guess could go to sccaforums and see what the stock class guys say. They measure everything.

Last edited by moparfan; Jun 7, 2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
You can always get pretty good deals on the Fiesta since it's a Ford. Just have to know how to haggle.

I'm on my second Fiesta ST now. Great car.
Got any tips? I don't know how to haggle (seriously). EDIT: I'll likely have a trade in if it helps or I'll try to sell it private party and have some cash to put down, about 6-8k.

I've been looking pretty hard at the Fiesta ST for a couple years and may get one.

Probably going to wait for more info on the 1.0L as mpg is pretty important for my 70 mile round trip on back 55mph country roads.

Last edited by XSivPSI; Jun 7, 2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by XSivPSI
Got any tips? I don't know how to haggle (seriously). EDIT: I'll likely have a trade in if it helps or I'll try to sell it private party and have some cash to put down, about 6-8k.
Price it through Costco, https://www.costcoauto.com/enterzipc...2fdefault.aspx

Then see what you can get on your car as a trade in vs. selling it to a private party.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XSivPSI

I've been looking pretty hard at the Fiesta ST for a couple years and may get one.

Probably going to wait for more info on the 1.0L as mpg is pretty important for my 70 mile round trip on back 55mph country roads.
Negotiate sale price, talk trade-in (if you are) separately. Have finance lined up before you get to dealer - they'll beat your financing if they want to make that extra cash.

I'll sell lower value cars privately. But, once it gets past a certain value, I'd rather trade it in. Dealing with random freaks that come to buy cars with bags of cash is sketchy.

Last edited by moparfan; Jun 7, 2017 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Ford Fiesta ST - is Ford trying to clear them out?