Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

NA tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
NA tuning questions

Hi, this is a non-Evo question as it is about NA tuning, but the other cars section appears to be dead and this is the only forum I still use. I have an NA motor in a bike that I'm adding an intake and full exhaust to, and the guy who makes the intake offers free maps to use. I'll probably get a custom tune, but it's kind of hard to find a place that will do it around here so I'll likely be on his for a while. He has a great rep, but most people do get custom tunes to go with his intakes.

Some of the places I ride only have 87 octane for 150 miles, and the tank only holds about 120 miles worth of gas, so I'll have to be splashing in a bit of 87 to make it to the next 91 station (CA, so that's the best you can get normally). He said to use his Eco (high mpg) tune when I can't get 91, because it is the safest tune. He also said I could use his non-ignition advanced tune if I wanted to, which he can send me but I could also just open the map and put 0 for all the advance fields. His advanced and non advanced tunes are exactly the same otherwise.

Note that any tuning eliminates the o2 sensor (it gets removed), and I don't think bikes have knock sensors.

I have some questions:

1. Isn't an Eco tune usually a lean tune? So wouldn't it normally be the most risky tune with low octane? Since it has no ignition timing changes, it should be leaner than the power non-advanced tune?

2. Is it odd that the advanced and non advanced tune are exactly the same aside from the advance? Trim, etc are exactly the same, one just has a couple degrees of timing added in.

I have only heard 100% good things about the guy and his products, other than "it could have been easier to install," and I know people with his full kit on their bikes (different models than mine but all have custom tune), so I want to trust him, but those two things seem odd to me. I also don't want to be an ***hole and call him out on his advice if I am completely wrong, hence why I'm ask y'all if it seems right first
Old Jun 8, 2018, 07:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Hard to say without know the motor and the guys tuning, but yeah, an eco tune, to me, would be lean..

And as far as an advanced vs non-advanced map and only timing being different, that's typical. Fuel demand doesn't change much with time unless it's a big change.