Notices

Another SSP oil cooler installed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another SSP oil cooler installed

First of all a big thanks to the guys at MAPerformance for making me feel welcome and going out of their way to make sure I was taken care of. These guys are super professional and do amazing work! The SSP oil cooler is sweet, its very well built and was able to fit with my UR exhaust. I was a bit concerned with the cooler and fittings being so low on the back bumper, but with the car on the ground and going over some speedbumps, there is more enough room that it shouldnt scrape on anything.
Also sorry, I fail at posting forum pics :P The last pic is of my home made aluminum skid plate

Host Images with PicTiger
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:06 PM

More pics of the SSP deep pan, and the fitment of the cooling unit. The deep pan is really a work of art, very well made piece with perfect fitment. Notice the red fitting on one of the oil drain holes, which connects the hose that runs the hot fluid back to the oil cooler. The bung for the temp gauge is just off to the side.
I was a little worried about the wiring being so close to the mufflers, but I made the 24hr drive home with no problems whatsoever. Today I stuck some heat tape over the back of the fans where the wires connect, just to be on the safe side.

Upload Picture with PicTiger
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:47 PM

Looks nice but isn't there a better place for it? What's the difference in operating temps? This is the tranny oil cooler right?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Looks great Sean! I hope to see u at the track tonight! Cheers
Old Jun 23, 2009, 07:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Sean, let us know what we can do for you in the future and how it performs at the track!
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

is the tranny reacting any differently with the cooler??
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:03 PM

Spent the afternoon working on the car yesterday, I was able to modify the way the cooler mounts to make it sit a bit higher, and a lot more solid. Id say it sits about 1.5 inches higher now, huge improvement and no chance of scraping anything.

The tranny doesnt really act any different than usual. The difference being with the temp gauge you know when things are starting to get on the hot side and can switch the fans on, where in the past I really had no way of telling if the tranny was in danger of overheating. Im sure the big oil pan and extra oil also goes along way to making sure the temps stay under control for a longer period of time.

Upload Picture with PicTiger
Old Jun 23, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

sexy just sexy!
Old Jun 24, 2009, 08:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Most of the reasoning for it hanging a little low on the back bumper is allow the air to flow through the cooler instead of being behind the bumper and not allowing air to flow through it.

I'm sure its fine with just a 1.5" raise but, the colder the better
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Makes sense. But if lower is better, why not install the cooler flipped up with the fittings on top and the cooler sitting another few inches lower, at the same point as the bottom of the 180 degree fittings as they sit now? Same clearance to the ground so no problem there. This might even be a better solution to air flow cooling.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:25 PM
Former Sponsor

If it sat any lower people would be concerned with ground clearance as you can see he was concerned so he raised it up. Its at its optimal height from when we install it. I'm sure you won't see a performance decrease with raising it up, but every bit helps!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:17 AM

I was a bit worried that the height would hinder the cooling ability, but sofar it doesnt seem to make any difference on the coolers performance in all conditions. Will post updates if I notice anything down the road, especially at the track.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:16 PM

Looking great bud. It is good to see someone else finally running this unit ,so we can compare data.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It looks pretty nice. I would be worried about ground clearance of the lines more than the cooler. I think if you used 90 degree fittings in the cooler, you could come in from the side more with the lines, and eliminate the amount of line exposed to dragging. Or perhaps mount the cooler the other way (upside down) and bring the lines in from the trunk.

I am sure you don't want to make a kit that would require people to drill 1" holes in their trunk floor for lines to go through, but wouldnt this be a mounting option to increase ground clearance?

I have a stock ride height, and I still have to be carefull or I drag on enterances to parking lots and driveways.