Notices

2010 MR trasmission flare

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 MR trasmission flare

Hello,

just wondering if anyone else is experiencing what my car is doing. I have a '10 MR with approx.. 5K miles. When the transmission is in "Normal" mode, and i go around corners at a fast pace, the transmission "flares": basically, it hunts for a gear while the RPM's shoot up. This only happens when i go around corners at a "spirited" pace (with the trans. in Normal mode) and step on the gas after the apex. After i hear the motor revving as if the car is in neutral and release the gas, the transmission finally gets into a gear and everything returns to normal. I know there was a TSB for the 08 MR's addressing transmission issues, but that does not/should not apply to the 2010 MR's. Any input on this issue is appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Take it to the dealer and make them address it under warranty. 'Hunting' for a gear in corners is not what you want a performance car to be doing.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nemsin
Take it to the dealer and make them address it under warranty. 'Hunting' for a gear in corners is not what you want a performance car to be doing.
Taking it to the dealer on an issue like this would be like playing russian roulette with 5 bullets in the cylinder. I am curious to see whether this is an isolated case or a known issue.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:16 AM

Did you try in different mode? Was car in D drive or manual?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

I know this doesn't help you but does it do this in other modes as well? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with it wanting to shift but with traction control getting all crazy.....
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

problem solved , take your traction control off at all times an put it in sport and tiptronic,
done, end of conversation
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoyao
Did you try in different mode? Was car in D drive or manual?
The problem only happens while in "Normal" mode. If I switch to manual, the problem doesn't manifest itself (gears are selected manually at that point, without the ECU having to decide which gear to be in). Also, if I switch to "Sport" mode, the problem goes away. Because of this, I am not too concerned about it. I think the problem has to do with the calibration of the transmission: when receiving inputs from sensors sending throttle position and lateral forces under certain conditions, the ECU may be getting confused.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:26 AM

Now I am mostly in Sport-Manual all the time unless drive in highway with cruise control. In my opion, Sport mode is more comfortable to me in city drive.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoyao
Now I am mostly in Sport-Manual all the time unless drive in highway with cruise control. In my opion, Sport mode is more comfortable to me in city drive.
I agree, buddy. I'm usually in manual-sport myself, unless in traffic going to/from work. But there is a 90 degree turn on my way to work that i usually take *****-out, and every time i do that the transmission doesn't know what gear to be in.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds normal. My MR does the same thing.

The clutch is set to slip quite a bit in Normal mode.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:32 AM

the only time i have my car in normal is when im on the highway so i can use cruise control ... otherwise its in sport ,

however when i start my car for the first time each day , i find i have to let it warm up for a few blocks before i switch to sport mode , if not it seems not to engage immediatly ...
Old Jun 30, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

"Auto" Normal mode really isn't meant for spirited driving, the transmission is going to be lazy.
If you want to drive around in auto normal and take corners fast and punch the gas at the apex I suggest leaving it in Auto, use the paddles to down shift going into the corner, punch the gas then hold the right paddle to place it back into auto.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

No automatic transmission can ever determine what you are about to do next. It's why people manually shift, or buy manual cars.