Notices

A little help with turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little help with turbo upgrade

I have two friends selling their turbos.

I am trying to figure out which turbo will be better for the SST. One is selling FP Red and the other is selling BBX. Since they have GSRs, they can't really give me advise, besides buy theirs, lol. I am shoting for 400hp, but keeping the torque the same which is 315.

Thanks in advance,

Jose
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

I guess this was a dumb question, lol. I going to shoot for the BBX, but I would imagine i would only be using about 30% of the turbo because of the SST.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 02:14 PM

i love some info on this as well keep it safe with the bbx wat power u be making
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:09 PM

I've read somewhere here in the forum, bbx full and fp red on a mr would produce 350-370+ whp 320-370+ tq depending on the tune conservative/non conservative with suppoting mods but no cams, also the turbo lag about 500-700 rpm compared to stock in a way protects the sst on tq spike in the lowend when you go wot, this are the turbo to go if you want more top end power, it boils down to what are your plans for the car, and you might want to consider a better fluid for sst and upgrade trans cooler as a supporting mod for safety
Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lakay888
I've read somewhere here in the forum, bbx full and fp red on a mr would produce 350-370+ whp 320-370+ tq depending on the tune conservative/non conservative with suppoting mods but no cams, also the turbo lag about 500-700 rpm compared to stock in a way protects the sst on tq spike in the lowend when you go wot, this are the turbo to go if you want more top end power, it boils down to what are your plans for the car, and you might want to consider a better fluid for sst and upgrade trans cooler as a supporting mod for safety
Thanks this was the info I was looking for. I searched but came up with nothing.

I don't understand why the MR loses so much to the wheels compared to the GSR. For example, one of my friends dyno with 353hp with the same mods as me and I dyno 300hp. 53 is a little much. I'll get my MR up there one day, lol.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Madrican
Thanks this was the info I was looking for. I searched but came up with nothing.

I don't understand why the MR loses so much to the wheels compared to the GSR. For example, one of my friends dyno with 353hp with the same mods as me and I dyno 300hp. 53 is a little much. I'll get my MR up there one day, lol.
53hp is alot, most of the time its about 20hp diff between mr and gsr, is it the same type of dyno and tuner, coz this could be the difference, amb temp and other variables might also effect results, so good luck mahalo
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lakay888
53hp is alot, most of the time its about 20hp diff between mr and gsr, is it the same type of dyno and tuner, coz this could be the difference, amb temp and other variables might also effect results, so good luck mahalo
Yup, same dyno and same tuner. I was upset and couldn't undedrstand why. My only guess could be the trans or I just have a weak engine.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there shouldnt be much difference from GSR to MR for the same mods... usually its a tuning difference.. most tuners will try to keep torque a bit lower to help preserve the stock clutches...but i have seen a all stock sst clutches have crazy power.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpaQBzzvaKs

just remember a car dynos different things in different locations even if they have the same parts... there are many variables

but in terms of the sst and its ability to handle power... its all in the tuner. talk to bryan@gst.. he knows his ****

but to answer your turbo question, it depends on your goals. out of your options i would pick the bbx, cuz it looks stock, so it may fool the dealer. and you loose a little down low but will flow more up top.... but even consider a bbx lite spools like stock but doesnt fall on its face like the stock turbo

Last edited by robevo8; Oct 27, 2010 at 09:36 AM.