Notices

SST disengaging every 3 seconds

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST disengaging every 3 seconds

Ok guys, this is a new one for me. I've done countless searches and have come up with nothing relevant so far.
Car is an 09 RA, 120kms (75miles) has boost pill and GST basemap as well as K&N filter and SSport mode (rarely used).
Whether driving or stopped in gear, every 3 seconds or so, the light next to my shifter indicating "D" will flash quickly, and the transmission will disengage entirely for about a second. In reverse, same thing, and my reverse lights flash as well, and the SST is temporarily in neutral basically.

I drove home from work after this started happening, with great difficulty. If I'm on the throttle when it happens, it's as though I just put it in neutral, and it will rev up accordingly and then 'clunk' rather firmly back into gear where I can instantly get back on the throttle.

What's also interesting to note is that manual mode just confuses the crap out of the transmission and it gets overridden anyways. It won't stay in the gear I've selected because every time it jumps into neutral (which is every 3 seconds or so) it will shift however it wants.

This is a ridiculous issue and I'm really hoping I could get pointed in the right direction here. Has anybody had any similar type of issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Do you have any active fault codes?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 09:28 PM

That's the strange part, no codes, no service lights, nothing. The dash looks completely normal.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 07:30 AM

I'm still looking for a potential solution before I take her into the stealership on Monday. Anybody??
Old Jul 2, 2015, 08:48 AM

Got everything sorted out (I think).

I took it to the local dealer and the tech said he's seen this before and that it was just some loose wiring somewhere in the shifter assembly. He tore the whole assembly apart, cleaned and greased everything and put it all back together.
There was nothing noticeably wrong with anything, but it appears to have solved my problem.

That's two wiring issues in two weeks causing my SST to act up. I'm slowly losing faith. But running strong for the time being.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks for reporting back.

I am glad it was a easy fix