Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

DMS VS Moton VS JRZ VS Penske VS Koni

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2005, 02:34 PM
dwx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would never recommend the DMS40mm to anyone. So many guys have had problems with them on Subarus over the last 5 years that no one runs them anymore. They have gone through several revisions of the struts however, maybe the newest ones are better.

The 50s and 40s are miles apart from eachother imho. Gary Sheehan ran the 50s on his USTCC WRX with great success a couple years ago. The 50s are easily user servicable (except for the insert itself).

Another company that makes coilovers for the EVO is Leda Suspension in the UK. They have a US distributor that is very good to work with. They build the suspensions to suit your car, but they aren't cheap either especially with the weak dollar.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 01:41 AM
Evolving Member

Question

Originally Posted by dwx
I would never recommend the DMS40mm to anyone. So many guys have had problems with them on Subarus over the last 5 years that no one runs them anymore. They have gone through several revisions of the struts however, maybe the newest ones are better.

The 50s and 40s are miles apart from eachother imho. Gary Sheehan ran the 50s on his USTCC WRX with great success a couple years ago. The 50s are easily user servicable (except for the insert itself).

Another company that makes coilovers for the EVO is Leda Suspension in the UK. They have a US distributor that is very good to work with. They build the suspensions to suit your car, but they aren't cheap either especially with the weak dollar.
do you have any more information about these, I was about to buy the 40mm DMS but I guess they are BAD? anyone have seen for the evo?
Old Mar 2, 2005, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

40mm

From what I understand they had seal problems that they have since fixed. DMS is trying very hard to restore their reputation on the 40mm. This is all second hand from a dms dealer. YRMV
Old Mar 2, 2005, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ImportUpgrade
do you have any more information about these, I was about to buy the 40mm DMS but I guess they are BAD? anyone have seen for the evo?
Originally Posted by bracer
From what I understand they had seal problems that they have since fixed. DMS is trying very hard to restore their reputation on the 40mm. This is all second hand from a dms dealer. YRMV
This problem was due to a couple of reasons, as I saw it going through former DMS hell called service...

1) the early DMS 40 designs had a different seal design and internal bushing placement in the strut bodies than the new design. The old seals would allow easy water contamination of the grease that DMS uses to keep the inserts properly lubricated. This brings up the second problem

2) the grease DMS uses is a specialized grease that does not affect the teflon coatings used on the bushings. The second problem that DMS suffered was their previous service structure which made it almost impossible to get the proper grease kits to service the struts. As a result, many DMS service shops used (in my case) redline grease instead of hte recommened DMS grease. Hell, it's half the cost; it's only grease right? wrong... I literally had my freshly serviced (and greased) DMS 40s fail inside of 2 weeks because redline grease was used instead of the DMS grease.

Since this fiasco, DMS has re-organized their North American operations by adding Lachute Subaru (AKA DMS_Mark on this forum ) as their main US distributer and they are rebuilding their service and sales every day.

I went through hell and back with my DMS product(s). I have owned both the 40mm and 50mm tarmac struts for a WRX. Until DMS re-organized their North American operations getting service was problematic. DMS_Mark has done an excellent job of rebuilding the reputation of these awesome struts, and because of his efforts, I highly recommend them

The DMS 40 should only be considered for mild track use and regular street driving. If your a regular autocrosser or track day *****, then you should consider the DMS 50's
Old Mar 5, 2005, 02:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Great cliff notes version ChrisW!
Mark is the MAN he loves his work and can really make a car faster (he was my ace in the hole for the EVOm shootout!)
I am still using the DMS 50's (and see NOTHING on the horizon to make me want to change!!!) and have set-up 4 cars using these everyone has called me back to thank me for "pushing them into the 50 mm pool;" (they have all taken major time off their previous track personal bests) Better street ride Better track performance, If you wonder how your frend got so fast you might look at his new suspension!!!

I guess the question is how $$$fast do you want to go?

I like the rally background as I see road racing as a SUBSET of what you can do with these shocks Even Mueller commented on how much forward bite my car had developed after driving it the day after the shoot-out (the DMS differance)..

Last edited by robi; Mar 5, 2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robi
Great cliff notes version ChrisW!

I guess the question is how $$$fast do you want to go?

I like the rally background as I see road racing as a SUBSET of what you can do with these shocks Even Mueller commented on how much forwad bite my car had developed after driving it the day after the shoot-out (the DMS differance)..

Thanks!

That is the question. But without a doubt the DMS 50's are the best bang for the buck (even with the current exchange rates)

What is cool about the rally background, is that even when the struts are in dire need of servicing, they still perform well. They are like the old timex commercials, "they take a licking and keep on ticking" I just wish I could afford to put a set on my car...
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Sell the wife and girlfriend!!
Old Mar 5, 2005, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Cool

I am very happy to see everyone talking now instead of yelling at me !! DMS has come a long way in the past 2 years. DMS North America has setup many dealers across the country that we deal with on a REGULAR basis.

Lachute Performance was the first dealer in North America to have a formal trainining. North Coast, Rocket Rally, and most recently San Rafael. We hope to complete the remaining dealers this summer.

Everyone affiliated with DMS will be up to date on all the good things, as well as the bad that previously happened, not to mention why it happened !

I am just happy to be a part of this industry, and have met some great customers, and worked with some cool drivers as well (thanks for the EVO conversion Robi and SRM !!! )

Any questions, please do not shy !

Mark
Old Mar 6, 2005, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Mark,

What is the warranty on the DMS?

Rebuild cost, and how frequent?

How do they compare to the Zeals functionR?
Old Mar 6, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robi
Sell the wife and girlfriend!!
Old Mar 6, 2005, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Can anyone give a ballpark cost figure for the DMS 50's?
Old Mar 6, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

List on the 50mm is $4775 including springs and camber plates.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 08:11 PM
Former Sponsor

I think the new Billit front camber plates are more...opps "TOP MOUNTS" right Mark ehh??
Old Mar 6, 2005, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bracer
List on the 50mm is $4775 including springs and camber plates.
Ouch
Old Mar 7, 2005, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Tell us more about the "billet front camber plates". Are they a DMS fit only?, any pics?

Quick Reply: DMS VS Moton VS JRZ VS Penske VS Koni