Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

DMS VS Moton VS JRZ VS Penske VS Koni

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2005, 03:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would the Moton CS serve both street and autox well?
I dont mind the harsh rides... just dont want to rebuild shocks every year or
too frequent.

As for DMS... where do I find more info on DMS 50s Street(RoadRace)?? And what
will happen when we start driving DMS 50 on the street?

Thanks,
Old Mar 31, 2005, 04:07 AM
Former Sponsor

DMS on the street= decrease bump settings and insrease rebound and you get a sporty but PLUSH ride...the best of both words with the PROGRESSIVE BARREL SPRING tech. only by DMS..
Old Mar 31, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JT-KGY
As for DMS... where do I find more info on DMS 50s Street(RoadRace)?? And what
will happen when we start driving DMS 50 on the street?

Thanks,

Been there done that....

The ride on the DMS 50s on the street is actually really quite good. Hell, your sporting what is basically a coilover shock built on rally technology...

I had a '02 WRX with the DMS 50s (with the old seal design) installed.

With the right rebound and dampening settings, the ride was very plush as Robi states. The problem is due to the increased maintenance required to keep the coilovers working at their optimum.

During the dry summer months that we have here in CA, the maintenance issues were not that bad, I had to regrease the struts twice during the summer. Regreasing the struts is a 1 day job:

1) remove a 4 struts from the car
2) remove the inserts from teh strut bodies
3) degrease the strut bodies to remove all the old grease, clean and inspect for damage and wear on the seals and tephlon bushings in the strut body.
4) regrease and reassemble the strut. MAke sure to use only DMS approved grease!!!
5) re-install the struts on the car, reset and check the ride height
6) do a full 4 wheel alignment

After each autocross event (and after each time driving in the rain), I would pull all 4 wheels, and clean the seals, lubing them with some tephlon impregnated grease,

DO NOT use wd-40 as this will trash the tephlon coating on the bushings.

I used a tephlon impregnated grease designed for the chain on my mountain bike, it's expensive, but I got the best results using this spray lube.

The DMS 50s with the old seal design didnot like the wet weather at all. The struts would last for what I guess is a typical race distance, then start to have the stiction problems (struts binding due to the lack of lubrication) you could tell because the plush ride would go to crap until you went bombing down a rough back road to move the grease around.

Now, I hear the new seal design is much better. I sold my DMS struts to another WRX owner in NY, he reports that he ran his struts all summer long with no problems, more along the 6 month maintenance interval that DMS recommends. he is still a satisfied DMS customer as far as I know tearing up the track events that are local to long island, NY area.

Needless to say with my experiance with DMS, I learn (very quickly ) how to do your own alignments.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Chris,
just want to confirm a few things .... had to grease twice during the summer ??? Please explain. On the earlier 40mm under the old design I can understand that it might have happened, on a 50mm though .... NEVER has and NEVER will. Robi is pretty hard core guys, 50mm are not meant for the street, we do not make a street valving in a competition strut.

I am pretty sure you are talking about your 40mm experience on a SUBARU, not the same struts, not the same stroke, motion, or travel angles... different car, different design. Can you please confirm this Chris ??

There has never been a problem with an EVO application. It there is one out there, please let me know ASAP so i can find out why it happened, and fix it right away to avoid further occurances.

I hope to see some of you out at Buttonwillow next weekend, i will be out there supporting ALL DMS customers, both EVO and SUBARU guys alike Should be lots of fun.
Mark
Old Mar 31, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry forgot to suggest something Chris to help installations ....
Use regular bolts on the struts (with NO CAMS or camber washers) and adjustable camber plates. If you remove the strut, it goes back in the same way as nothing with an adjustment is being moved. Also, record the spring perch height before moving them around, adjust perch on the bench before re-installing on the car, a hole lot quicker

Happy wrenching guys,
mark
Old Mar 31, 2005, 06:28 PM

i have DMS 40mm on my '05 mR & i love them... they're set-up "neutral" for now, but they'll be set-up a little more aggressive next weekend(suspension tuning @ buttton willow) with just the neutral set-up i'm usually 2-3 times faster (entry,during,exit speeds) of posted speed signs... it might not sound like much, but try taking a 20mph on ramp @ 60mph
Old Mar 31, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

mark...on the 40s it says it lowers the car 15mm...is this at the highest setting? im not ricer and not looking to slam my car or anything, but id prefer it be around a 2 finger gap in the back, is that possible? the pix make it look adjustable height but im not sure..
Old Mar 31, 2005, 09:23 PM
Former Sponsor

You got the wrong robi..I'm not hard core at all...;-)
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Yea Robi, and I'm the Easter Bunny.

My 50mm's are on the way, I hope...

Bill
Old Apr 2, 2005, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

Bill, they are, there was a SPRING BO from our manufacturer, Robi made sure that you got the stiff springs !!

Guys, sometimes lowering the car might be what you want, but is it really what you need ??? Our height adjustment is to fine tune the car for PERFORMANCE. If it will make the car faster, we build this height adjustment into the desired stroke and droop lengths. Outside our "recommended" specs would be outside what the MITS engineers built the car to function properly. You can not lower cars beyond a certain point without having wheel geometry all screwed up.

Ideally a qualtiy coilover is to CORNERWEIGHT your car, not an adjustment just to lower it to a DESIRED ride height. We build a window of 15-25mm (depending on application) into our struts for this reason alone

mark

Last edited by DMS_Mark; Apr 2, 2005 at 05:17 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DMS_Mark
Hey Chris,
just want to confirm a few things .... had to grease twice during the summer ??? Please explain. On the earlier 40mm under the old design I can understand that it might have happened, on a 50mm though .... NEVER has and NEVER will. Robi is pretty hard core guys, 50mm are not meant for the street, we do not make a street valving in a competition strut.
Mark
I need to clarify what I said. Remember, this was with the old seal design. That specific set of DMS 50s needed to be updated to accept the new seal design.

When I regreased the DMS 50s, I did not use the recommened DMS grease.

All of this happened right before/during the time when Mark started getting involved in his new role with DMS.

You should not take this as an indication of the product quality, but what can happen when you do not use the recommeded DMS service. At the time when this happened, it was a little hard to get any spare parts from DMS.

Mark and DMS north america have made great strides in correcting the problems that created my situation. The parts and service that you need are available.

When it comes time to upgrade my coilovers, I am going right back to DMS.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor

That's why I'm already there... the TX guys really gave DMS a black eye in the USA! Mark is reparing relationships as he finds them!
Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the support guys ... Chris, still curious, all issues I have come across so far have been with 40mm ... the 50mm we did add a 2nd seal, but only to standardize setups with the 40mm line.... hmmm, anyways, let me know Chris when you are ready, you have been great support for the last 2 years !

Hope to see you this weekend Chris at Button willow with Robi and the SUBY guys !! heheheh
mark
Old Apr 4, 2005, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DMS_Mark
Thanks for the support guys ... Chris, still curious, all issues I have come across so far have been with 40mm ... the 50mm we did add a 2nd seal, but only to standardize setups with the 40mm line.... hmmm, anyways, let me know Chris when you are ready, you have been great support for the last 2 years !

Hope to see you this weekend Chris at Button willow with Robi and the SUBY guys !! heheheh
mark
MArk, I like to call those DMS 50s I had "the DMS mystery struts" I bought them through a local vendor who was using DMS's old vendor "that AU rally team" who will remain unmentioned.

[edit] oh yeah, for the rest of ya, no need to worry about that AU company, I don't think DMS allows them to sell in the US anymore

Last edited by chrisw; Apr 4, 2005 at 12:28 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Can we leave it at that then Chris ??? The 50mm "mystery" set ?? hehehe
Mark

Quick Reply: DMS VS Moton VS JRZ VS Penske VS Koni