Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

First AutoX in my EVO IX RS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2007, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First AutoX in my EVO IX RS

A little background first. This is my 7th season AutoXing. I've been more active some years more than others. My new career doesn't allow for me to have Sundays off on a regular basis which has affected my participation. My previous cars were '00 Integra Type R, GSR swapped '92 Civic hatch, '03 WRX and an '05 STi. I tried AutoXing my last car, but it was so slow that I just wasn't able to throw it around and have as much fun as with my other cars ('07 Honda Fit).

So now that I've had time to think about my first AutoX in the EVO I will offer some comparisons with the STi. Keep in mind I haven't AutoX'd for 3 months and that wasn't in my old STi.
So the first thing I noticed is I can't launch the EVO like I did in the STi. The clutch feels weaker to me. I tried the 2 step launch and sort of got it right out of the 5 runs I had. I've had the car for 2 weeks so I'm sure it'll take awhile to learn how, but it's my DD so I don't want to beat on it by launching too much.

The EVO handles excellent. You can attack a corner with more entry speed. It's different than the STi, but I prefer it. Much easier to drive and you can correct yourself out of something easier in the EVO. Very precise point and shoot handling. It's almost twitchy at times because the steering responds so well to even minimal inputs. I did get some understeer, but it's obvious I need an alignment just by eyeballing the car. I will have to mess with tire pressures a little more, but I think a little more pressure in the rears would reward me with more tail happiness for rotation.

The braking systems of the EVO and STi are pretty much the same except for the fact that the RS does not have ABS. Even so I found the EVO pedal to "feel" a little better to me. The RS is a little lighter than the STi and that could be a factor.

Power deliver was much different. The STi has gobs of low end torque with a smaller turbo, but a larger displacement engine so it makes sense. There was only one spot on course where the EVO lagged for me, but it's nothing some left foot braking wouldn't have fixed if I had practiced it IMO. When the boost comes on the EVO feels faster to me than the STi. I was hauling *** through some sections of the course and it felt great. Not quite as predictable as the STi, but it's something I can get used after driving it more.

I can't wait for the next AutoX this Sunday.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like oyu really got to enjoy your car. I can't wait to do my first Event with this car!
Old Jul 9, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

As an owner of both cars, your review is pretty accurate IMO--especially the launch/drivetrain. The STi is bulletproof and will withstand launches w/o protest--I've not dared dump the clutch in the Evo.

I bought the Evo to compare the 2 back-to-back. The Evo wins as the better weapon--for me @ least
The STi is more refined for street use & is more managable to drive in the daily grind--but I'm interested in competition ability, so the STi will be up for sale soon as I can't justify owning 2 rally cars...

BTW, what region do you run in?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
As an owner of both cars, your review is pretty accurate IMO--especially the launch/drivetrain. The STi is bulletproof and will withstand launches w/o protest--I've not dared dump the clutch in the Evo.

I bought the Evo to compare the 2 back-to-back. The Evo wins as the better weapon--for me @ least
The STi is more refined for street use & is more managable to drive in the daily grind--but I'm interested in competition ability, so the STi will be up for sale soon as I can't justify owning 2 rally cars...

You bought both cars to compare them? Very cool. I would've kept the STi, but I went through some rough times financially so I had to sell it. I drove a Fit around because I needed a car after my SE-R's motor took a crap on me. I knew it wouldn't be long before things would be better money-wise and I really missed owning a performance car.

If I daily drove more maybe the STi would be better for me. I usually put 10k miles or less on my cars per year so I don't mind that the RS is a little "raw." Rawness = more character IMO.

I run in the Nebraska Region. I try to go down and run with the KC Region as much as possible. They use a large parking lot (called Lot L) which is in the KC Chiefs' stadium parking lot (Arrowhead). It's HUGE and has a bowl shape. Good times.

Here's a thread I started with some pics of my old cars...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=277919

Last edited by Bounty Hunter; Jul 9, 2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

How was the civic with GSR swap autoxing?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 0100
How was the civic with GSR swap autoxing?
It was a lot of fun, but I didn't really have the right setup to be competitive. I would've wanted a better suspension and LSD. The lack of power steering hurt me on sticky tires and VERY slow corners. That car was fun to build. I almost regret selling it and messing with the SE-R now.

It would've been better on the roadcourse, but I ended up selling it so I never had a chance to do a track day.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

To my suprise someone took pics at the AutoX.

My favorite pic if it weren't out of focus.

Old Jul 10, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Cool thanks for the info. I like the first photo.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1

you're not supposed to

I usually do a 4-6k slip.