Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2007, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOIIIM3
While the EVO holds it's value, I doubt it will be worth anything close to my 993 in another 10 years. While the EVO is a great car, I get more thrills from driving the 993.
..it's the pleasure of the moment! Who wants to live another 10yrs!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smogrunner
I love this thread. How the heck do you get that much negative camber up front. Are you running smallish front wheels/tires? It is also about time for more aero treatment...
Megan Track Coilovers...they come with camber plates. I can probably get a little over -4.0 if I slam them all the way in. I have been playing with the camber and this car loves a ton of negative and not too low of a ride height. Stock BBS SE wheels with 255/40-17 R1's.

Cleve
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by OldschoolEVO
I love Evos to death but I find this really hard to believe.
why is that?
I was in Lime Rock 3 weeks ago and there was one 911 turbo race preped slick etc. And an other one was a 944 turing ,he was faster then me, but that was real race car. With real race set up.
my car is far from race preped and i was running on 245's toyo RA1 /rain tires/ factory wheel aligments ,factory spring rates ,but 1 inch lower/eibach as warr. said " rice"/ Also i have 350 whp on 23 psi. On track i lowered it to 21 psi,i have no clue how much whp it is. And that was my second day in road track ever.
So i beat the 911 turbo with 1.75 sec, and i loose from the 944 turing race car 1.46 sec. So based on that, it is not really hard to bealive what this guy said ,not to mention hes set up!
link:
http://www.emraracing.org/RESULTS/re...rame_setup.htm
/ time trial , 10/27/2007i'm in T/U /
sorry i had not too much time to make pictures.but i got some:

the 911:

some others:

i just put these pictures up for back up, what i said . Because i know they will burn me alive... specially after the S2000 thread.
and my car as you see my tires... oh boy i need sponsors badly

and for the guy who started this thread :great pictures ! good driving!

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 18, 2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fishey
I am suprised that you would beat up on all the cars at a PCA DE as usually you will get atleast 1 GT1 class car. Also, an good lap time for a F class car is about a 1:40 at road alanta and E class is usually all over the 1:35 lap times. These cars are not nearly as fast as some other cars so I am pretty confused on why everyone was running so slow. Regardless, that car looks really good and I am glad to see you stick it to the Porsche crowd.)
It was a DE with a lot of cars and there are only certain areas where you are allowed to pass and that can only happen with a point by...so that definitely slowed everyone down. Hank Cohn who is a pro driver (Porsche Cup Car) was there in his yellow track prepared street 996 GT3 (in the photos), he had a traqmate in his car and he felt that I was at least 2 seconds quicker than he was and he was turning 1:36's. His data file is on the traqmate website.

Cleve
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:16 AM

I love Evos to death but I find this really hard to believe.
Go ask Hank Cohn over on Rennlist if you don't believe me...or better yet, I will be back at Road Atlanta on December 1, 2007 and January 19&20, 2008 and you can come out for a ride.

Cleve
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:30 AM

Here is my former sled...I'm going around the track just as fast in the EVO as I did in the GT2. I think I was probably a little more nervous about crashing the Porsche vs. the EVO! The GT2 had a fully built motor and made 637RWHP and 645RWTQ, it ran a 10.96@134 in the 1/4. There are some videos on Streetfire.net.

Cleve
Attached Thumbnails EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America-peachstate-porsche-oct.28-29-2006-dl-1-029.jpg   EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America-peachstate-porsche-oct.28-29-2006-dl-1-135.jpg   EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America-peachstate-porsche-oct.28-29-2006-dl-1-209.jpg   EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America-peachstate-porsche-oct.28-29-2006-dl-11-015.jpg   EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America-peachstate-porsche-oct.28-29-2006-dl-24-052.jpg  

Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:33 AM

Former porsche owner here and had a 94 911 3.6 turbo, and a few 944 turbos, I prefer the evo handling and braking over those cars. Congratulations!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by suprawillis
Former porsche owner here and had a 94 911 3.6 turbo, and a few 944 turbos, I prefer the evo handling and braking over those cars. Congratulations!
Prefer Evo braking? It too biased toward the front IMO.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cgmeredithjr
Go ask Hank Cohn over on Rennlist if you don't believe me...or better yet, I will be back at Road Atlanta on December 1, 2007 and January 19&20, 2008 and you can come out for a ride.

Cleve
OK guy, look at my user text, buy me a plane ticket and I'll be there.

Whether or not you ran faster lap times than the cars you listed is moot point. Anyone with half a brain that is into high performance driving knows that the car is only half the battle. I mean come on, a GT3, M3 and a Ferrari Challenge...did you pass a Veyron too
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Best thread ever
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Whether or not you ran faster lap times than the cars you listed is moot point. Anyone with half a brain that is into high performance driving knows that the car is only half the battle. I mean come on, a GT3, M3 and a Ferrari Challenge...did you pass a Veyron too
Probably not, but he did stay in a holiday inn once.

Seems like others on here backed him up on this, so why question it. Whether it was car or driver's lack of ability, he still managed to pass them.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of curiousity, What kind of times the Ferrari Challenge cars running?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:24 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
this is an ego crushing thread specially for porsche owners and fanatics! I'm planning to buy one too(997) but worries that I might lose my affection to my IXMR.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 01:10 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize you were across the pond. The yellow GT3 you see in the pics is caged, has $8000 worth of Moton suspension, and is being driven by a Pro driver who drives GT3 Cup cars, his name is Hank Cohn. I have a fair amount of racing experience and I do instruct for the Porsche Club of America, but I am in no way a Pro...the EVO can make you feel like one because it is so forgiving, tossable, and loves to be driven on the ragged edge. The fact that mine is currently making 481AWHP helps too.

P.S. When I build the motor and add the HTA35R, I would love to run one of those fat pig Veyrons around Road Atlanta!

Cleve
Old Nov 18, 2007, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cgmeredithjr

Cleve

The EVO is a very capable car. But so are the rest of them.

Anyone who has done lot of track days, knows, that a good driver in a slow car can walk & even lap some one in a fast car. I lapped very high dollar cars in my old M3, like Z06's F355, Supercharged NXS. Yes, the car all should be much faster then my little I-4 powered car, but they were not. Why? I was driving harder, pushing more & had much more knowledge on how to drive. It doesn't lessen any of the other cars. In the same car, I was lapped in a rented Dodge Neon.

I have also been hung up by very high HP cars, I'm faster in & out of corners, but can't drag down the straights. So I get stuck until they get flagged to let me pass. Some of them will let you pass, then floor it when you attempt to, again slowing you down.

Good for you, but unless you are truly racing, or doing a time trial, you really can't compare times. That also doesn't mean you are faster or slower, you just had a really good track day, & you should be happy! I know I was when the Z06 owner came to my car shaking his head that I lapped him in 20min, with a little 4 banger.

Quick Reply: EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America