Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOIIIM3
The EVO is a very capable car. But so are the rest of them.

Anyone who has done lot of track days, knows, that a good driver in a slow car can walk & even lap some one in a fast car. I lapped very high dollar cars in my old M3, like Z06's F355, Supercharged NXS. Yes, the car all should be much faster then my little I-4 powered car, but they were not. Why? I was driving harder, pushing more & had much more knowledge on how to drive. It doesn't lessen any of the other cars. In the same car, I was lapped in a rented Dodge Neon.

I have also been hung up by very high HP cars, I'm faster in & out of corners, but can't drag down the straights. So I get stuck until they get flagged to let me pass. Some of them will let you pass, then floor it when you attempt to, again slowing you down.

Good for you, but unless you are truly racing, or doing a time trial, you really can't compare times. That also doesn't mean you are faster or slower, you just had a really good track day, & you should be happy! I know I was when the Z06 owner came to my car shaking his head that I lapped him in 20min, with a little 4 banger.
Of course they are all capable cars and it definitely depends a lot on driver, but my point is that the EVO is the best bang for the buck out there. The 996 GT3 driver and I were running in the instructor group and we had a few clean laps to play during each of our sessions and I was consistently faster than he was and he could not believe how well the EVO was performing.

Cleve
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

I remember back a few years ago, the Vishnu Evo ran in the One Lap of America race and it really showed the awesome potential of the car.

Despite the inclusion of some high power, high dollar supercars (with pro drivers), the Evo came quite close to pulling an upset!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats why I think the EVO is the best bang for your buck I see the same thing out at are track. Evos out there kicking everyone elses ***'s even the Full race Porsche's and Ferrari's. It's fun to see a Evo (4 door saloon) out there beating 100k+ cars and a build up track Evo will cost you less than half of that 100k car. Still love the Porsches though. Love my Dad's 930 turbo, but my Evo is still faster
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
its a very capable car ,but not a super car. I would still drive happyer the 997 GT3 RS.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

From the Vishnu One Lap of America diary:

"...Paul returns to the pits. And we are greeted with the information that our little monster logs the fastest lap of the day, nearly 6 seconds faster than the 600+hp 911 Twin Turbo. Our overall standing is starting to look better. The car ran so fast that it ripped the Tire Rack decal off the windshield. Well, not really. But our little red flame thrower was certainly the talk of the town.

Paul, Ron Adee and David Murry (the hired gun to drive the factory-backed Porsche 911 GT3) discuss the results of the first session. Paul listens and politely reminds them that they got their asses whooped by a $30,000 daily driven Mitsubishi with $15,000 worth of modifications..."
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
its a very capable car ,but not a super car. I would still drive happyer the 997 GT3 RS.
True, but it sure is fun making those "Super Cars" look slow. What really adds insult to injury is doing it with a tagged and insured daily driver with 4 doors, no cage, stock seat belts, and a full interior...the 7 pt. bar and belts are going in before the next event!

Cleve
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:40 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for any one doubting how badly a well prepped EVO can man handle a porsche on the road course check out what one of my customers did on video recently. My brother and I were there filming Seth wear some fools out!

it was funny because after each heat he'd have 3 or 5 porsche owners walk up and ask how big of a turbo upgrade it had on it... I think Seth enjoyed being able to say, it's a stock 16g turbo and seeing their mouths drop.

Click here to see Video
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Damn.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Does the OP have a 5 speed or a 6 speed? It looks like he's on MR wheels.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

i have a 997s and i have a evo thats heavily modified......
i would say i love to drive the evo on the track but for regular DD i love the 997s...
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Dang I love it!!! I now have a new desktop pic!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldschoolEVO
I love Evos to death but I find this really hard to believe.
look at his mods. not hard to believe
Old Nov 18, 2007, 03:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts

Great photo!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cgmeredithjr
Of course they are all capable cars and it definitely depends a lot on driver, but my point is that the EVO is the best bang for the buck out there. The 996 GT3 driver and I were running in the instructor group and we had a few clean laps to play during each of our sessions and I was consistently faster than he was and he could not believe how well the EVO was performing.

Cleve
he doesn't know the capability of the EVO? where has he been, tell him to go to the track in Japan, he'll be shocked! Especially each year Tuskuba circuit event, all those cars built by Japanese tuners are extremely capable. example like HKS Kansai, Mines, JUN all their EVO are deadly on the track.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
look at his mods. not hard to believe
Dude your beating a dead horse. If we were to take all those cars he mentioned plus the Evo right out of the show room the Evo would get spanked. Once an Evo gets modded it instantly becomes null and void when it comes to bench racing. I didn't know he wasn't stock when I made the first post.

We all know Evos take mods very well and thats why 90% of people buy them. "Look, I just spent 1,200 on my 30k car and I can walk cars 2xs the price"

And lets face it. At the end of the day we still drive 4door family cars. And if you really had a choice between a 997 and an Evo you'd really take the Evo?

Quick Reply: EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America