Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

9/14 Wash DC Autocross

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2003, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
9/14 Wash DC Autocross

At this weekend's DC autocross, Jack (jbrennen) let one of our local hot shoes, Brian Garfield, codrive his Evo. Brian trophied at nationals this year in STX (6th out of 44) in a Mini Cooper S and won the Pro Solo Finale in HS last year. Anyway, going into our heat, I was guessing that we would be able to do 52's or 53's based on the times in the previous heat. And bam! Brian does a 50.9 on his first run. He later did a 50.4 and set fastest stock time of the day and PAX'd 4th out of 220. Technically though, his runs were fun runs (as our "Novice Coordinator" he did a bunch of ride alongs before our heat) and won't count when they post the final results. Still, he gave us a good idea of what the car is capable of in the hands of a good driver. Maybe those C4s should be worried.

Jack held up his end of the deal with a 51.3, finishing first in the novice index rankings, and 12th in the overall PAX. As for myself, I really struggled, but did manage to pull out a 52.7, which was good for the next spot in AS and 43rd in PAX. An STi was in the next spot.

Not surprisingly, our Evo pilots who are still running on their Advans didn't fare as well, but I think they are making progress anyway.

Preliminary results are up at:
http://www.tubas.net/ax/results_prel...003-09-14.html

JW
Old Sep 17, 2003, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got what I wanted out of the event...

I'm now convinced the car can compete above the local level -- with a good driver, of course. Take out the G Stock Corvette (GS doesn't stand for Grand Sport ) and Brian is actually 3rd in the PAX, less than 0.1 out of 2nd. Also, I asked him to take it easy on my clutch -- if I'd given him the green light to launch the car hard, he would likely have been close to the PAX leader (also a trophy winner at Nationals).

I also have to put my own modesty aside and admit that I actually may have some skill at this. After the "GS" Corvette and Brian's "fun run" times are removed from the "official" PAX standings, I'll have a top 10 PAX finish -- something that seemed hopelessly out of reach just two events ago. Even though I wasn't the fastest A Stock car out there on Sunday, it was much more meaningful to me to get the top 10 PAX -- more meaningful than winning in A Stock at the August 10 event by over 3 seconds.

I also am wondering whether I might make a good autoX instructor. I did my first competition ride alongs in the afternoon session, and the two drivers for whom I "navigated" ended up 9th and 11th (out of 33) in the Novice PAX standings.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

I really wanted to come out this weekend, but the event was already full. I am hoping to run a full season of AutoX and selected track events next year. Working on finishing the car and attending some schools before then...
Old Sep 17, 2003, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Nice times, both of you guys! 43/220 PAX is a very good result. And a 12/220 is amazing.

How much experience do either of you two have?
Old Sep 17, 2003, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Great results for a car that many people are just starting to realize the potential in autocross. Other than tires, any mods?

For the regular Lancer guys, the car is a good HS car. Over the summer I have overall PAX'd 8/115, 4/107, 1/73, and 3/87 at events at the Central KY SCCA, stock except for Kumho V700 Ecsta tires.

Keep up the the cone killing!

Jason
Old Sep 17, 2003, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Another item of note: Any of the top 3 A Stock Evos would have been eligible for and would have won ESP at this event. Had we run in ESP (which actually has a more advantageous PAX index than AS), Brian would have moved up one spot in the PAX standings; JW and I would have each moved up three spots.

How much experience do either of you two have?
I only started this autoX thing on June 1 of this year. This was my seventh event, plus I did the local region's novice school last month.

Other than tires, any mods?
Wheels, tires, and lug nuts for me. Plus an aggressive autoX alignment: running -1.5 to -2.0 degrees camber at all four corners, and reduced rear toe-in from the factory spec 3mm to 1mm.

I really wanted to come out this weekend, but the event was already full.
I've heard that the organizers are able to fit in pretty much anybody who gets on the waiting list and pays on time. They put a cap of 250 cars per event, but between non-payers and no-shows, we never seem to reach that number. So sign up for the Oct. 19 event -- registration opens Sept. 28 at 8 PM. And get on the waiting list if need be.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 09:17 PM

Glad to see you guys are still faring well. I won't get out of the stock tires, simply because I have too many other hobbies to invest (throw) my money into... Rally being the motorsport one of course. But it's just as much fun to play with the EVO in stock trim. I ate something that upset my stomach and sadly just couldn't make it out on Sunday... killed me, because by the afternoon I was feelin fine. In any case, hope to see you guys for the next one at FedEx.

Pablo.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 03:01 AM
Evolving Member

Experience:

I have been autocrossing on and off since 1987 (a lot of off, including all last year) and have taken a few driving/racing schools over the years.

Setup:

235-40-17 Kumho Ecsta V700 tires on Volk CE28N-L wheels
JIC Magic Spartan DE Type 2 Full Ti cat-back exhaust
Carbotech Bobcat brake pads
Cusco adjustable front sway bar bracket set to 116%
K&N drop-in air filter
Schroth Rallye-3 harness
1.7 degree camber front, .8 rear
0 toe-in front, 1mm rear

I had hoped the harness would keep me from bruising my left knee, but it didn't. Nice to have anyway.

The sway bar bracket was part of my problem at this event I think. I overcompensated with tire pressures for the anticipated understeer and it took me a few runs to get that in check. At 116%, it didn't seem to make much of a difference in the balance of the car...

JW
Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:03 AM

I should have hoosiers next month. Talking with jbrennan I think I am going to go with his setup. And taking the school next month should help with the skill factor which is where I am lacking. 59.289
Old Sep 18, 2003, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by beast464
I should have hoosiers next month. Talking with jbrennan I think I am going to go with his setup. And taking the school next month should help with the skill factor which is where I am lacking. 59.289
Here's what you'd need to duplicate my setup:

Enkei RPF1 wheels, 17x8, 35mm offset, 5x114.3 PCD
Hoosier A3S03 245/40ZR17 tires, I paid extra for Tire Rack heat cycling
Zenki forged aluminum lug nuts -- the stock lug nuts won't work
Mounting and balancing
Alignment

PM me if you want any advice about suppliers or where to get mounting or alignment done.

Personally, I'd suggest that you don't spring for the Hoosiers just yet. You won't get much use out of them this year, and you'll just have to store them over the winter. Plus, the new Hoosier tire (the A3S04) should be generally available in time for next year's autoX events, and that tire is supposed to have a longer life.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Final official results for this event posted tonight.

http://solo.wdcr-scca.org/results/2003/091403.htm

Officially, a 1-2 finish for Evos in A Stock. Unofficially, a 1-2-3 finish.

Those STi's finishing 3-5-6 could be trouble. I think they were all on OEM tires. If they get serious and switch to R compounds, there could be some serious fighting going on.

Looking forward to the last WDCR/SCCA event on the 19th. I've offered another co-drive to a local hotshot -- he's planning to run in ESP (and warm up my tires), after which I'll run A Stock in the next heat. With luck, my car could win two classes in the same day.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by beast464
Why were you running in SM?

Originally posted by jbrennen
Those STi's finishing 3-5-6 could be trouble. I think they were all on OEM tires. If they get serious and switch to R compounds, there could be some serious fighting going on.
I certainly do hope so. Next season, I should be in ESP however.

I'll see you on the 19th
Old Oct 1, 2003, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, 217 entires. That makes our events feel small.