Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

project:BDR 2006 Evo STU build thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Whoa, watch that "i" word
Oh...did I say "invested"? I meant I've thrown more money down the toilet now than the car has cost me
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

I daily drive my 2004 2500HD too. Definitely fun with the PPE Stage 3 tune.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
throttle oversteer on a 169" wheelbase and 3 turns lock to lock is...um...interesting.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hah! I daily the same exact truck, Turbo Diesel!

Originally Posted by griceiv
throttle oversteer on a 169" wheelbase and 3 turns lock to lock is...um...interesting.
I have a hard time getting mine to step out. Automatic with about 2,000 usable RPM means the gears are large! (4.11 rearend)
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Mine also has 35x12.5" tires on it...Hard to get those to step out. But we digress...

The other day, I was thinking about how easy life would be if I still had an STU car...
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i was 99% sure I was going to run SM this year...maybe next year.
Just put a big F'in wing on the back.

Last edited by SS RX7 r2; Sep 14, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Mine also has 35x12.5" tires on it...Hard to get those to step out. But we digress...

The other day, I was thinking about how easy life would be if I still had an STU car...
I won't protest your fenders if you decide to come back!

Finally got around to pulling all the pics off my camera and pulling other people's pics off facespace. Here are some of the other ones I liked:

Wednesday: Finally sleep at the Super 8 in Indy

Sunday: finish line at the Pro

Tuesday: out on the West course (that antenna has got to go)

Tuesday: paddock shot from a friend's iPhone

Wednesday, grid shot

Wednesday, course shot from Perry

Wednesday paddock shot

Wednesday - DC Region @ Sonic

Thursday, headed home

Back home Friday, fighting through DC to have a beer with the wife

Car was surprisingly not that bad even on terrible DC streets. Not saying I recommend it of course But it's nice having all that horsepower when you know your lane is ending.

Oh yeah, I also installed a Torque Solutions antenna. At NEDIVs this year, the wind got hold of my popped trunklid and slammed it into the antenna, which cracked my OEM gurney flap on the spoiler. I wasn't going to fix the gurney flap until I neutered the antenna. The car no longer looks like an RC car!

What? What? WHAAT? Sorry, I have to call you back

One of the streetability things I had been meaning to fix was adding Bluetooth to the car. Maryland has a hands free law and the car is really loud inside, so when the phone rings, you have to frantically turn down the stereo, raise the windows, swipe the phone to answer it and then hit the "speaker" button on the screen. At which point, you just have to scream into the phone while keeping it low enough that it's not visible from the outside. Or ignore the law and risk the ticket. (Note that I don't have long phone conversations while driving, because it's distracting, but it's even more distracting when you have to yell and you have to strain to hear everything). Also, I wanted to be able to do Pandora, Ustream, Audible.com, etc. Ustream was nice to have on the way back from Nationals and Toledo.

So after checking in with the nice people at Crutchfield and pulling everything apart to do the wiring, I had something that looked like this

I did blow the radio fuse at some point in the wiring process (I use - of course - butt connectors for everything and was using the wrong size so a couple fell out) which led me to a discovery in the engine bay. It's kind of clever - the fuses for the accessories can be temporarily disconnected very easily just by pulling up on the yellow box (not my picture):

So if you have a lightweight battery that dies a lot, pulling up on the yellow box will pull the radio fuse (and one other accessory fuse, forget which) so that the battery should have less drain. I have a Braille that has sit for 3 weeks and not had any issues so I am not worried about this but if you are running something lighter it might help if you store the car and you don't disconnect the battery / use a trickle charger.

I ended up putting the mic on the steering column - seemed to do pretty well in limited testing.

The final configuration is:

CDA-9887 head unit
KCA-SC100 (Alpine specific Sirius adapter)
SCVDOC1 (Sirius car dock kit)
Sirius Sportster 5 (original setup from before I had head unit integration)
KCE-BT400 (Alpine bluetooth adapter)

My old KCE-422i iPod cable has to be replaced with a KCE-433iV though since it's now chained through the Bluetooth box. With Sirius, Pandora, etc I'm not sure I need an iPod anymore but if anyone finds this thread via google it's something to look out for. I think that the newer cable can also charge the newer iPods/iPhones too, at least the ones until they changed the connector entirely.

Not totally silly season yet

The car hasn't been driven in anger since Wednesday at Nationals. The next step is to go to CBRD to get some custom brake line brackets fabbed up. I want a more reliable solution than my current seven zip tie per side arrangement.

After that - one more Autocrossers Inc event - one or two events at Hershey, possibly one or two Philly events, and after that probably retired for the season.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

I won't protest your fenders if you decide to come back!
Oh there's way more to it than that. I might as well just buy a new car if I wanna go back to STU at this point.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 06:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Event #21: NASA @ VMP: 10-7-2012

Target of opportunity autocross! I was going to wait until I got the brake line situation figured out before autocrossing again, but it was a lazy Sunday and it had been a full month since Nationals which had me in a state of jonesing. It was pouring when I left the house, but in true addict rationalization, I convinced myself that my car tramlining dangerously down the highway was okay because I needed wet practice (having not autoxed in the wet since April). Yeah.. that’s it.

Due to site restrictions, VMP can’t start cars on Sunday before noon, but it was a low turnout event so that worked out fine. Each heat had maybe 25 cars in it. Both heats got 8 runs apiece, in about an hour and 45 minutes per heat.

My progression went like this:
69.1 (2 spins)

My best was that 53.9 -

I did a double take after the results were posted. No cones in 8 runs?

With drying conditions, really only your last run or two matter, and I got sloppy on the last run and wasn’t able to make up for it on the back half. For comparison, Martin K and David W in their ASP STi ran 51.9 and 52.9 respectively so PAXwise (have to calculate this since NASA has their own classing system)
Martin - 51.962 * .863 = 44.84
Me - 53.919 * .841 = 45.34
David - 52.914 * .863 = 45.66

Not sure how much the Hoo-Hoos were really helping in these conditions though, it was pretty slick and there were deep puddles in a couple key spots on course. There was a Z06 that got a 51.6 in the 2nd (much dryer) heat. So I ended up 4th in raw time and fastest on street tires.

Notes from this:
* Went down to 26/25 on pressures (and full soft all around)
* Need to look ahead
* Don't let up on your last run thinking you're close enough!

Next up - a trip up to CBRD to get some brake brackets for the struts
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Notes from this:
* Went down to 26/25 on pressures (and full soft all around)
those pressures sound WAY low for a 245, especially in the rain. 40+ is a better ball park for rain pressures.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:37 AM
EvoM Guru

those pressures sound WAY low for a 245, especially in the rain. 40+ is a better ball park for rain pressures.
Good thing it wasn't wet at any important events this year

I usually lower them 6-7 from normal dry pressures but at Hershey this year in the wet we went all the way down to 26 and Josh had top PAX over Sam and Tony S (who ran in much dryer conditions than us but still wet). If you think about people chalking their tires to check for rollover, that's the thinking I was using.. wrong though it clearly was.

Apparently this is even on Tire Rack's website
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=58
For both autocross and road racing, increase tire pressures 6-10 psi from what you would normally run in dry conditions. Hydroplaning occurs when a wedge of water develops between the tire and road surface. This wedge can actually lift the tire off the road and eliminate traction. Increasing the pressure rounds the profile of the tire by decreasing the deflection of the tire. This results in a smaller contact patch - narrower and shorter. It also helps keep the grooves in the tread open so they can channel the water out from under the tire.
Well, I learned something today... thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:51 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
$M is crazy though. My SM spreadsheet is like 25K above where we are now.
Jeez, 25k over whats already into the car is crazy. Motor, Aero, Weight Reduction, and?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Large quantities of crack to go along with spending all that money on the car. Even if you don't use it, just having it around reduces the number of people that ask "why?"
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Good thing it wasn't wet at any important events this year

I usually lower them 6-7 from normal dry pressures but at Hershey this year in the wet we went all the way down to 26 and Josh had top PAX over Sam and Tony S (who ran in much dryer conditions than us but still wet). If you think about people chalking their tires to check for rollover, that's the thinking I was using.. wrong though it clearly was.

Apparently this is even on Tire Rack's website
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=58

Well, I learned something today... thanks!
I'd be lying if i said i didn't follow the exact same train of thought before also.

If i had to pick any car to race on index in the rain, it would be an STU car (although probably an sti, but an evo isn't bad either). They're so tire limited in the dry that they barely slow down in the wet and will DESTROY everyone on index, even with wrong pressures.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So much solid info from that TireRack link.

What are you guys running for dry pressures on the Hoosier A6's?

Quick Reply: project:BDR 2006 Evo STU build thread