Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Street/Track capable Turbo??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unless he's copying BW's extended tip geometry... It's a start.

I suggest running it Full tilt.... That will show where the choke flow is... and ultimately show the turbocharger's performance on a comparable level since comparing them by boost pressure is inadequate.

I would also guess that robert doesn't have a compressor map for his turbo's either? If he does... could you ask him to share? It would be adding pertinent information to this thread.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
99% of the guys on here care about 1 think, boost pressure, if I post shaft speeds it's pretty much meaningless data to all of them. We did that testing on the Red and HTA82.

Sorry, I may be doing the test "wrong" but it's how I am going to do it. Keep the test relevant to what the guys on here know, boost pressure and see what happens.

I'm not switching my car over regardless, the HTA86 I feel is just the most bad *** turbo on the planet for a 4g63. Maybe some day I will get proven wrong, maybe Geoff will send me an EFR to prove me wrong! hahahahahahah
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

I know some people might not understand it, but I KNOW that Robert knows and he'll openly admit that comparing boost pressure to boost pressure isn't a sound way to perform this comparison. He'll probably not peep too much, because by using the boost pressure rather than turbo speed the results are skewed in his favor.

If you run them on the TSL (choke flow) you'll have your threshold boost AND your max flow from the compressor.

I think that's only fair given that the EFR is designed to go upwards of 40psi and still maintain efficiency.

It's not like your engine is too weak to harness all the power that little turbo can muster. I suggest putting a divided manifold and div t4 turbine housing Then you'll be onto something.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Got the HTA3076 in about 45 minutes ago, it's on the car and the car is being strapped down. I'll probably just start a new thread after this to showcase the difference in the 3 turbos on my car/combo. It'll make it easier for someone to make a decision on what to buy in the future.

Also, I am trying to locate and so is someone else, an EFR equivalent to the HTA86 I like so much, if I can get my hands on it I am going to build a header etc., for my car and give it a shot. I've always been up for running what makes the most power, I don't really care who makes it. I don't just buy an advertisement though, so a test is in order. Right now we now the EFR on the EVO similar to mine at similar boost levels is good for power levels like the HTA3082, not nearly enough for me. I want to see what the low/mid range is like on a turbo that will make at least the same top end power I get from the HTA86 at the same boost levels.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:27 AM
ktk
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by David Buschur
Got the HTA3076 in about 45 minutes ago, it's on the car and the car is being strapped down. I'll probably just start a new thread after this to showcase the difference in the 3 turbos on my car/combo. It'll make it easier for someone to make a decision on what to buy in the future.

Also, I am trying to locate and so is someone else, an EFR equivalent to the HTA86 I like so much, if I can get my hands on it I am going to build a header etc., for my car and give it a shot. I've always been up for running what makes the most power, I don't really care who makes it. I don't just buy an advertisement though, so a test is in order.
Cool please link us to yoru results when you have them on the HTA 3076 I'd like to see how it compares to a GTX3076r.

As for EFR you probably want a 8374 which flows 79lb/min, probably the closest they have to the HTA86. It made something like mid 760awhp on the 2.2L Sierra Sierra car at 32psi and is good for 45+psi. The bigger EFR 9180 (94lbs/min) did something like 820awhp on the same car at 32psi.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Here you go and for reference, I am done in this thread.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post9683990

P.S. Looks like we may acquire a EFR 8374 for testing.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur

Also, I am trying to locate and so is someone else, an EFR equivalent to the HTA86 I like so much, if I can get my hands on it I am going to build a header etc., for my car and give it a shot. I've always been up for running what makes the most power, I don't really care who makes it. I don't just buy an advertisement though, so a test is in order. Right now we now the EFR on the EVO similar to mine at similar boost levels is good for power levels like the HTA3082, not nearly enough for me. I want to see what the low/mid range is like on a turbo that will make at least the same top end power I get from the HTA86 at the same boost levels.
dave why not give the new PTE6266 a try. thats a direct bolt on to your current setup no?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

I was done here but thought I'd post this graph up of the HTA3076 as of this morning. I ran it up to 39.8 psi and the results are just bad ***.

Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
One question though. I don't think any one of us that track run near that much PSI of boost. If we were to upgrade i'd think because it flowed more we would be able to run LESS boost pressure right. So is the test at 40psi comparable if you did it at track tune PSI, ~28?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
One question though. I don't think any one of us that track run near that much PSI of boost. If we were to upgrade i'd think because it flowed more we would be able to run LESS boost pressure right. So is the test at 40psi comparable if you did it at track tune PSI, ~28?
It would look like my car-ish, I run 28 psi. 40 psi is pretty sweet looking - but not reasonable for 30 min sessions.

Last edited by jid2; Oct 21, 2011 at 08:32 PM.