Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Auto-X Mods

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
Definitely drive it at a few events first to establish a baseline and determine where you need the most improvement.

Tires are a necessity. ZII Star Specs are the tire to have in STU. 245 width max.

After that, you are correct that suspension would be the next place to look for improvement. If you're eager to spend money, you can certainly head straight for the high dollar coilovers. I'm not familiar with the X, as most of us prefer the lighter VIII & IX, but I would imagine you would do well with some quality springs on the stock struts as a starting point if you're not aiming to be competitive at the top level.

Also, I'd suggest buying a GoPro to record your runs. You can learn a lot by reviewing video of yourself after the fact.
Yep got GoPro on my birthday list
And yes I do auto-x for fun, I am not looking to go to nationals.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by giRl rAceR
Yep got GoPro on my birthday list
And yes I do auto-x for fun, I am not looking to go to nationals.
FWIW, I run the Ohlins with Vorshlag camber plates. Nice modest drop on the car but not slammed. I daily drive my EVO and the Ohlins are not that harsh (except for the back seat passengers). I believe overall they are well worth the price. I would also suggest looking at the AST. Give Vorshlag a call and they can help you out.

And the long thread about their attempt to run their X MR is a great read and explains most of the good and bad about the X.

Agree, I will never run my Evo at a Nationals, but it still makes it more fun at the local events! Have fun!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
Definitely drive it at a few events first to establish a baseline and determine where you need the most improvement.

I don't agree with that. STU setups are pretty well known at this time. It's not like she is jumping in a 2013 dodge dart and trying to figure out how to make it go fast

I think a fully prepped STU Evo is still slow enough for most newbies to handle, primarily because of the lower adhesion limits of street tires. She can dial in "safety" with alignment and tire pressures while still having a fully prepped car.

Anyway, mod the car how you want and enjoy the sport!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
I don't agree with that. STU setups are pretty well known at this time. It's not like she is jumping in a 2013 dodge dart and trying to figure out how to make it go fast

I think a fully prepped STU Evo is still slow enough for most newbies to handle, primarily because of the lower adhesion limits of street tires. She can dial in "safety" with alignment and tire pressures while still having a fully prepped car.

Anyway, mod the car how you want and enjoy the sport!
Competitive driver with plenty of experience in another prepped vehicle? Sure, put all of the well-known mods on at once and tweak to perfection.

But for a relative beginner coming from another unprepped car, there's a lot of value in doing the mods incrementally and getting a feel for how each part changes the car's performance.

That said, good tires are almost a necessity right away. A proper alignment is also very important.