Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Autocrossers: how do you keep your front lip attached?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2013, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that's wild. If it's chunking off in pieces like that, I don't think additional fortifications like screws are going to help.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have cracked my SE lip mount points 3-4 time from high speed marker cone impacts and then once from a parking curb that I though was lower than it was.

My lip is currently held on by a dozen zip ties coated with JB weld. Additionally I roughed up the contact patch between the lip and the lower bumper and gave a line of super for safe measure.

My problem was that I has busted the mounting points off the bumper and not off the lip so even running a cheap ebay lip for track days wasn't really a solution to possible damage. I honestly think JB Weld is the hot ticket just be sure to buy the instant stuff so you don't have to wait a few hours for it to dry.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 07:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisw
I had a beatrush undertray which helped support the lip some, but still, enough cone hits and the under tray will bend (easily fixed with a hammer) and eventually half the mounts on the lip failed.

I replaced my lip with a bayson R Motorsport front lip and you can follow the rest of the task on my blog.

front lip install

the "fixed" front lip was actually quite strong, almost strong enough to support my weight.
Thanks for passing the writeup along. Seeing the bumper from the inside is definitely really useful.

FWIW, Kevin explained his lip trick a little more:
Originally Posted by me
Can you elaborate on your fix? Were you just taking up the empty area between the lip and the bumper on the last 12" of the lip? I am having a hard time imagining..
thanks
Yes, about the last 12 or so. I was able to find insul board that fit perfectly. Glue it to the inside of the lip then glue and clamp the whole thing to the bumper cover. It worked well. Make sure you use insul and glue that don't react. I did it several times till I found the right combo. For glue I ended up using a commercial acrylic caulk used for window installation. Hope that helps.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no problem. The other benefit of my front lip install was the effect on the overall aero package in the front.

I like the gluing idea. I might have tried that, but I did my project in January and it was too cold for adhesives.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 387 Likes on 332 Posts
I use those 'GOOP' on many things. I put some on the lip when it started to pop out.