Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

RaceFab wet sump pan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 05:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
Yea if you're changing your oil every weekend you're throwing out money. Unless of course you're doing enduro races every weekend.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Goes back to the "to each their own" when it comes to fluids getting changed, but I think most of those guys aren't running $12 quart oil for the same reason.

I have the oem cooler still. Lots of pics on here of front cooler setups though. When I do finally do that it'll be some kind of Setrab like cooler with AN fittings on the cooler and banjo's on the filter housing. Yes more expensive but if you spend as much time as I do with your head in the wheel well you notice how little room there is between the filter and other parts so a 90 seems like a waste of space. But the main reason would be durability - when you've had a tire let go on track slapping itself around in there you want things to be bang/crush proof as possible.
The following users liked this post:
hokiruu (Jan 22, 2020)
Old Jul 17, 2018, 08:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Goes back to the "to each their own" when it comes to fluids getting changed, but I think most of those guys aren't running $12 quart oil for the same reason.

I have the oem cooler still. Lots of pics on here of front cooler setups though. When I do finally do that it'll be some kind of Setrab like cooler with AN fittings on the cooler and banjo's on the filter housing. Yes more expensive but if you spend as much time as I do with your head in the wheel well you notice how little room there is between the filter and other parts so a 90 seems like a waste of space. But the main reason would be durability - when you've had a tire let go on track slapping itself around in there you want things to be bang/crush proof as possible.
Yeah, I change my oil before and after every track day, but it's because I run different oil for!street use.

That's a great idea for oil cooler lines. I will probably be stealing it lol
Old Jul 17, 2018, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts

I use some compact steel 90 deg fittings that are proper metric size on one side and AN10 on the other (from Hansa flex) and those are pretty stout..
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts

Agreed. I've got an AMS oil cooler and that's one of the things I like is how it uses these AN banjo adapters on the OFH. I found these which are the same thing but I can't find any that adapt to a 10AN line: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AN-8-8AN-Ba...-/361945668559

hokiruu (Jan 22, 2020)
Old Jul 18, 2018, 01:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Really only need 8an for a stock location cooler. The metal parts of the OEM cooler lines are 12mm OD. So ID likely isn't even as big as 8an. 8an fittings have and ID of .390", or 9.90mm.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jul 18, 2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

this

http://cat.hansa-flex.com/en/Adapter..._JIC/W90HMOKHJ
Old Jul 18, 2018, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
That would work. Some of the pics I've seen are using the alum ones with a longer radius.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Alu one with longer radius is a normal 90 deg fitting.. nice thing about these is that this one has a metric thread on one side and AN on other so no additional adapters nedeed which keeps overall height low...
Old Jul 23, 2018, 05:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
I wired up a warning light/buzzer that works with its own oil pressure sensor off the filter housing. I set it up to go off if pressure goes under 60 psi when I’m over 3000 rpm. This weekend it went off only one time when the car snapped sideways violently mid-turn in the Hammer at Shenandoah (oops). Otherwise, it was quiet. Harry’s shows 1.1g in most turns, though many of the hardest turns are lefts on that track. Stock pan with a Kiggly HLA. Maybe I need better tires...
Project_Broke (Jul 23, 2018)
Old Jul 23, 2018, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I wired up a warning light/buzzer that works with its own oil pressure sensor off the filter housing. I set it up to go off if pressure goes under 60 psi when I’m over 3000 rpm. This weekend it went off only one time when the car snapped sideways violently mid-turn in the Hammer at Shenandoah (oops). Otherwise, it was quiet. Harry’s shows 1.1g in most turns, though many of the hardest turns are lefts on that track. Stock pan with a Kiggly HLA. Maybe I need better tires...
This... is a wonderful idea. Thank you.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i actually fuel starved the last time I was out accelerating out of a long right hander... fuel light was on so probably my fault, but i gotta imagine oil is all good now with the racefab, kiggly, scraper. no reason not to do a scraper with the oil pan off
Old Oct 7, 2018, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

On the topic of plugs for this pan, I was recently browsing STM for some OEM spares when I came across a note on the Trans and TS drain plugs saying they were 18mm. I thought hmmmmm, might they be 18x1.5 like the racefab threads. Low and behold they are. So for 7 bucks and change including the gasket you can have a MEGA or medium magnet that threads right in depending on if you opt for the trans or tcase plugs. While the Trans plug magnet is massive, it does take some patience to start the threads because of it's fighting to hit the sides of the pan. They also weigh less it feels then the one he gave us with the pans. You'll also notice the seating surface is a bit wider on the mitsu plug offering more torque to the gasket. Hex ups from 22mm to 24mm of course.

Old Oct 7, 2018, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
your frame brace doesn't get in the way? or are you not using it?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
your frame brace doesn't get in the way? or are you not using it?
Haven't used it since I started making my own splitters which use two of those bolting locations. Plus it make exhaust work painful, etc etc etc. My cage makes the car a fair bit stiffer then those two bars will ever provide. Took me 5 or 6 years to convince myself of that though lol.

Quick Reply: RaceFab wet sump pan