Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO X LCA on 8/9

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
EVO X LCA on 8/9

So I am doing the front of the evo, I have the RCK and the big hockey puck bushing. I called up Robispec and he recommended that I do the EVO X LCA and his spherical bearings on the front of the LCA.

So I was curious has anyone else don the evo x LCA's? If so what did you think, worth it. I am currently running stock BBS's on 255 RS3's. So just looking for more information on this setup.

Info:
Evo x LCA is 1/2 inch wider than evo 8/9 lca
You will need longer steering tie rods

Pics:
Attached Thumbnails EVO X LCA on 8/9-img_3885.jpg   EVO X LCA on 8/9-img_3886.jpg   EVO X LCA on 8/9-img_3887.jpg   EVO X LCA on 8/9-img_3888.jpg   EVO X LCA on 8/9-img_3889.jpg  

EVO X LCA on 8/9-img_3890.jpg  

Last edited by TheBoz; Jan 25, 2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
I know a few guys that have done it. You gain a ton of camber because the X's lca is wider than the 8/9
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
From what I've seen you gain a ton of caster too. There's a write-up somewhere in this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...ect-build.html

Last edited by RJones; Oct 22, 2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Neither suggestion is accurate,
You will gain ~1-2deg caster
You must move upper chamber plate strut mounting point outward to bring camber back, and to move wheel tire from hitting coil over.

Let Robi do it for you and give you guidance.
I run with Evo X arms, and since I've done everything to neutralize the chassis- successfully- it's hard to say what singular effect of wider track may be.

Certainly not HUGE, it's all little steps that converge in a place where I love my chassis.

It's not cheap: budget minimum of $1200 for parts! And Robi's labor.
Top mounts install and installation/alignment on top.

And no- you will not find front arms cheap, nor PSRS.

I love Ground Control top mounts: not cheap but awesome.
So that is another $500 on top.

It quickly adds up to $2k, while in there. You need to space out front fenders. Carefully. Then liners do not fit-if you live with snow/dirt that is terrible idea! Oil cooler, doors everything will get trashed!
Rocks do not have consciousness.
Do it if you keep the car for long or compete!

Now you know complete picture.
I live in sunny California, and am using car for sport purpose only, so compromise is ok.

Last edited by alpinaturbo; Oct 21, 2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Ya I guess I should have posted my setup.

2005 Evo 8 RS
Stock rebuilt 8 trans
Rebuilt TC, stock LSD and ACD
Wier 12 plate rear lsd upgrade
Quarter Master Twin
1pc CF drive shaft
Centric blanks for all 4 rotors
Hawk DTC 60 front and rear
Robispec KW Race coilovers
Vorschlag Camber/Caster plates
Robi rear sway
Robi rear spherical bushing kit

What I am installing now

Evo X LCA
Whiteline RCA
Whiteline KCA-400M anit lift/caster
Robi front spherical bearings

Running stock Evo BBS's on 255 RS3's

Not worried about noise or vibration, just figured if I am going to do something do it right once. I have West End in LA do my race align. But damn do I love Robi, dude is so legit it is not even funny. So he recommended the Evo X LCA's but there is like 0 info about them. So as soon as I hug up the phone I found a set of LCA, and I am just waiting for them to get here. I will let robi do his magic, and then off to west end for the race align.

Also I set up my car neutral to slight under steer, and I don't toss a ton of camber in the car. This time I want to set the car up on the neutral to ever so slight over steer.

I will leave with this, I am just an ok driver. I have some track time but not as much as I would like, I try to go as frequently as possible and I track it 1-5 times a year depending on my schedule. Local tracks are Streets of Willow, Big Willow, and California Speedway. Car gets drive about 20 miles a day during the week, and maybe 50-100 miles on the weekend.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

No vibration or harshness will be added.
Nice setup
Enjoy
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Neither suggestion is accurate,
You will gain ~1-2deg caster

Certainly not HUGE, it's all little steps that converge in a place where I love my chassis.
I'd still consider 1-2 degrees of caster added "a ton". Think about it, that's 30-60% added, which isn't insignificant. I'd say my suggestion is accurate
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Rich,

Yes, its good to step from 3.5 OEM to 4.8 -5.0 Caster, but GT3 runs 8-9 degrees and as many will tel l you until you go over 10 degrees you cannot have too much.
So what I meant is that the magic happens once you hit 7 degrees, approximately.
I am going to do what I can do get to 7 degrees, because I believe it will help power-out drive in fast corners where understeer is potentially limiting factor for truly fast track car.

Now, that depends how you setup the car- how rake is measured, rake artificially reduces the measured caster, and I am raked. Objectively you cannot push front wheels any more than PSRS does- you will be hitting front bumper etc...You can only lean as far back the top mounts as they allow, and than work with flat chassis to max rear grip, and hope front can still grip better.

Rake is Left over tactic from before few hardware items were available (Evo X arms & PSRS) and we used rake: now we put ***-down to gain grip and work on front to match..and I am progressively lowering my rear to gain more grip until understeer shows up again
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Ciro c/c plates and offset PSRS and about 6.7-6.8 degrees. I actually had to trim a bit of the bumper because I was hitting. I'd heard of getting something like 9 degrees using the Evo X LCAs, but the guy could have been exaggerating.

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. I've been lessening the rake to get more and more grip. The rear of my car looks like it's slammed at this point.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
how similar are the arms? Could an rck for a 9 fit? I'm at a loss trying to figure out why one side of my car lacks cover and had been thinking about this swap recently anyway.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

the steering links are to short with the X arms, so either need to build spacers or find another solution. Also it looks like you need to adjust the swaybar endlinks also.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

You only need tie rods from Robi..nothing else.
RCK Kit is the same for Evo 7-9 and X.
Robi extendes Tie Rods to suite Evo X arms on Evo 7-9.
It fits like OEM all.

And no added harshness from any of the spherical bearings.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got a set of X arms already fully upgraded with the offset PSRS and whiteline RCK + super pro front bushing. Pm'd u if you're still interested.

IF anyone else is interested let me know.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could always go with Racefab Evo X LCA which is 30mm longer than the evo x oem arms. All adjustable as well. Not cheap but quality piece. All chromoly

Old Oct 28, 2015, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone have measurements of the increased length of the Evo X LCA as compared to the Evo 8/9?

Quick Reply: EVO X LCA on 8/9