Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

RE71R where are you

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 06:37 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by JJwins
I mean whether its 3,4 or 5 mins its still pretty damn quick! With 5 mins between runs you'll def heat up those tires quick!
They still seem to work great. Maybe better with each run.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
They still seem to work great. Maybe better with each run.
Yeah I wont disagree... to me it seems like the RE71s like a good amount of heat.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 08:49 PM
kaj

Yeah I wont disagree... to me it seems like the RE71s like a good amount of heat.
Again I'm curious. I'd like to compare our "good amount of heat" numbers to those that are seeing a reduction in performance. I think maybe I'm taking it too easy. Maybe I'll buy an infrared gun soon.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 08:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Again I'm curious. I'd like to compare our "good amount of heat" numbers to those that are seeing a reduction in performance. I think maybe I'm taking it too easy. Maybe I'll buy an infrared gun soon.
Do you make the tires squeal, or in between squealing/howling?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 05:51 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Do you make the tires squeal, or in between squealing/howling?
At autox they squeal, yeah. Also, our courses are tight, so lots of trying to not over drive the turns.

Last edited by kaj; Jun 24, 2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 07:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I should take some measurements next time I'm out to quantify this a bit.

The tires do seem to like a little bit of heat. The problem is that I can very easily shoot right past the sweet spot and in to fall-off territory.

I do tend to drive the car hard, and I've set it up to support that driving style with a tendency toward oversteer and on-power rotation. Lots of throttle on corner exit and lots of strategic oversteer to get the car pointed where I want it. I do work hard to avoid excessive understeer, though, because that's both unproductive and a huge source of heat in the front tires.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:31 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Construct

The tires do seem to like a little bit of heat. The problem is that I can very easily shoot right past the sweet spot and in to fall-off territory.

I do tend to drive the car hard, and I've set it up to support that driving style with a tendency toward oversteer and on-power rotation. Lots of throttle on corner exit and lots of strategic oversteer to get the car pointed where I want it. I do work hard to avoid excessive understeer, though, because that's both unproductive and a huge source of heat in the front tires.
I used to drive my Hankooks the same way, but I paid a lot more for these, so maybe I'm being to nice on them LOL
Old Jun 28, 2016, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct

I agree with this. All I heard was how much these tires like heat, but really after the first run on a hot day (90-100deg) they're good - and will start to fall off soon after that. I forget who I spoke with but apparently the sweet spot temp-wise is 120-140. It's still okay when it's hot, but definitely not as grippy. Evos will have to spray these on hot days for sure.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
Okay so I'm gonna slightly recant my statement about watering them down. Just did 2 autoxes both days at around 100 degrees ambient temp (hot as ***** when ur standing in an open parking lot,) wetting them down seemed to keep them from overheating and kept the tires behaving nicely. Definitely didn't feel the grip reduction I felt when I wet them down when the temps were in the high 70's/low 80's.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 08:12 PM
kaj

Okay so I'm gonna slightly recant my statement about watering them down. Just did 2 autoxes both days at around 100 degrees ambient temp (hot as ***** when ur standing in an open parking lot,) wetting them down seemed to keep them from overheating and kept the tires behaving nicely. Definitely didn't feel the grip reduction I felt when I wet them down when the temps were in the high 70's/low 80's.
Which would lead me to believe they like more heat. Hm....
Old Jul 29, 2016, 08:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Which would lead me to believe they like more heat. Hm....
They like a certain heat range, and the range is not very high. Someone in another thread said they talked to Bstone guy at some track or AutoX event who said the tire is happiest in the 110-150*F (or something close) range..
Old Jul 29, 2016, 09:05 AM
kaj

They like a certain heat range, and the range is not very high. Someone in another thread said they talked to Bstone guy at some track or AutoX event who said the tire is happiest in the 110-150*F (or something close) range..
noted.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 09:07 AM

^^^Sounds about right....at least from my experience.