Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Has technology made it possible to race 500HP EVO Safely?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 02:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
Also with more power, more brake wear is inevitable. So track pads, rotors, and air guides should be included. Unless you are just talking about the motor? But each system for the most part will have more strain as the power goes up.
Yeah, by the time you’ve spent enough money to address the brakes, aero, wider body, engine, dry sump, etc., you will be into your evo for more money than the guy with the LS7 C5, and still probably not as fast or reliable. It seems there is a cost/benefit sweet spot for the Evo around 300-450 whp. My own thinking is that when I’ve maxed out my driving at that power level, to either switch to time trials where things are more equalized between cars, or, for HPDE (i.e., unlimited class ), go with a faster base platform.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Oiling and Heat are the only things limiting you from running 500hp. Thats a lot of heat generated in both air volume through the IC to cool and heat to shed from oil/coolant. Will definitely need some thoughtful work on radiator shrouding and upgraded oil cooling.

Also, as discussed in the oil pressure thread, 500hp will definitely need oiling improvements. There are plenty of options and details to be done for improving this though. Crank scrapers, OFH porting, Oil return porting, Crankcase evac, etc.. But the most important thing would be a proper dry sump.

Im sure you could get away with an expanded wet sump pan and perhaps a open accusump but if you want to know the oil is getting where it needs to be a dry sump is cheaper than a new motor.
I need to research that oil pressure thread. If we are trying to build a motor with new updates and improvements, we should all be adding these tricks in the build. Who does all this?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by clifhanger87
100% correct. a lot of people balk at buying a $4000+ dry sump system, but it's cheap insurance in my opinion. i really don't want to buy another $8000 motor every year.
The cost of dry sump always forces my budget to more acute matters. But during rebuild time, perhaps it's time to do it right. I never get the sense there is a true system for the EVO? More like 2nd thought systems. Am I wrong? Haven't put a lot of research into it. Who has experience with one?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Loving this thread and appreciate the feedback with proven good ideas. However, we have yet to uncover any parts that are improved and better than what everyone has been doing since 2003. Agree with oil cooling and keeping things cool. I need a trans cooler...thanks. "-)

Keeping this thread on track, lets assume we are all dedicated track car owners. Focused on just the motor over 500whp. I should have said 600whp+, but the point is the same.

So, with all the engine building technology, coatings, materials, cuts/grooves, oiling,....what's new and proven on our 15 year old blocks? I need to rebuild soon and would love to do it right with latest tech and tricks for a racing motor with hopes it will last at higher HP levels.

Part of our problem is 90% of builders are drag race shops. Nothing could be further from 25 minutes at 10/10th's driving.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 08:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
A dry sump is not $4k dollars. Most of the kits only come with the hard parts. You have to supply fittings, and whole lot of VERY expensive racing hose ($50-$70/ft) to complete the setup. Typically more around 6-7 when your done. And it’s not a very viable option for a street car.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
A dry sump is not $4k dollars. Most of the kits only come with the hard parts. You have to supply fittings, and whole lot of VERY expensive racing hose ($50-$70/ft) to complete the setup. Typically more around 6-7 when your done. And it €™s not a very viable option for a street car.
That definitely zaps the rebuild budget. Just saw AMS 2.3RR short block is $10k. 2.3 crate motor is $19.000?😲😲
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Thermal Barrier Coatings:

Here is a technological update found in DSPORT tech section.
http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/educat...or-more-power/
Thermal-barrier coatings are made of metallic ceramics. They are the most sophisticated of the coatings and are applied by plasma spray consisting of multiple layers. Plasma spraying is a process where the media is shot at very high temperatures and velocities so some bonding occurs at the molecular level, helping the material to bond better overall. Some piston multi-layer coatings have an insulating layer, a heat conducting layer and a barrier layer.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Driv200
That definitely zaps the rebuild budget. Just saw AMS 2.3RR short block is $10k. 2.3 crate motor is $19.000?😲😲
Thats absurd. I built my 2.3l for about $3500 (eventually broke the mitsu 100mm crank) and 2.2 with billet crank for $5k. And by I built, I mean I bought all the parts and gave it to my guy that does a lot of 4fig supra and bmw builds. He sized all the rods and honed the mains to match the standard bearings, balanced the parts, full assembly.

Even if you just have ER build you something its still gonna be cheaper than AMS which you're paying a huge markup for.
The following users liked this post:
Driv200 (Nov 25, 2017)
Old Nov 25, 2017, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
A dry sump is not $4k dollars. Most of the kits only come with the hard parts. You have to supply fittings, and whole lot of VERY expensive racing hose ($50-$70/ft) to complete the setup. Typically more around 6-7 when your done. And it’s not a very viable option for a street car.
i bought one of the last remaining kits that MAP was selling for $3000, then i'd estimate we had around $1000 in hose and fittings. true, not every dry sump kit is going to be $4k out the door, but it can be done.
The following users liked this post:
Driv200 (Nov 25, 2017)
Old Nov 25, 2017, 08:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
If there are any other engineers here that want to partner up to design and make a proper dry sump kit, I can make the parts as well as handle some of the design. I'm busy enough these days with various Evo parts but seems like it does seem like there needs to be something done about the cost of entry into it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dallas J:
Driv200 (Nov 25, 2017), V.8MR (Nov 25, 2017)
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If there are any other engineers here that want to partner up to design and make a proper dry sump kit, I can make the parts as well as handle some of the design. I'm busy enough these days with various Evo parts but seems like it does seem like there needs to be something done about the cost of entry into it.
like design the bracket and pan? or are you thinking designing the scavenge pumps too?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Dry Sump definitely needed for us EVO track guys. And many more of us would have one already if it were more affordable.

AMS mentions somewhere in their marketing about channeling and grooving for oil in their blocks? Not a lot of detail, but this what separates some builds from others and the updates I am trying to learn about with this thread.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 03:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
I'm somewhat competent with designing stuff, I'm still pretty green with toolpathing though. Currently midway through designing a billet exhaust manifold collector.

I have a trashed front case that I could get measurements from, I think that would be the hardest part to make. Magnus makes one but they want like $900 for it.

The other challenge would be the pan, I was honestly just thinking of buying an ARE pan, but haven't looked into price: https://drysump.com/index.php/oil-pa...-sump-pan-1418.

Everything else I don't think would be too hard, such as brackets and pulleys. I've tried looking around for a good reliable, easy on the wallet pump from a reputable company but haven't had any luck. I've found it hard to beat the price of most kits out there honestly. The Moroso pump alone that MAP uses in their kit is around $1000, a pan I would guess would be $700-900. Then you still got to do all the brackets, pulleys, belt, lines, fitting, reservoir, remote mount filter (I don't think we can keep the stock OFH can we?).
Old Nov 26, 2017, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Yeah, by the time you’ve spent enough money to address the brakes, aero, wider body, engine, dry sump, etc., you will be into your evo for more money than the guy with the LS7 C5, and still probably not as fast or reliable. It seems there is a cost/benefit sweet spot for the Evo around 300-450 whp. My own thinking is that when I’ve maxed out my driving at that power level, to either switch to time trials where things are more equalized between cars, or, for HPDE (i.e., unlimited class ), go with a faster base platform.
Maybe I'm not dedicated to the brand/platform but this is the only thing that makes sense. When you get to the higher power levels there are significantly more reliable platforms for similar or less money. If money wasn't an option I would love to dry sump my car.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Why would you want to do DE's with a 500hp Evo? If you want to really enjoy driving, get yourself a simple car, MUCH more rewarding. Be fast in a slow car, not be fast in a fast car.

Instead of dumping 100k (which is what you will have to spend) to get an evo to 500hp track day car, spend 20k on a BMW track car, and 70k on an Evo. Only bring evo out when you want to bust a fast lap, and spend the rest of your time learning with the BMW. I guarantee you will be faster in the end.

Quick Reply: Has technology made it possible to race 500HP EVO Safely?