Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Solution for overheating brake

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solution for overheating brake

I have major problem of overheating my front brake.
I do lapping with the car, FA coil over and 400hp.
I have have slot rotor with stock brembo caliper , DTC-60 pad and duct cooling.

I boil my gulf high temp oil, the dust cover of the caliper piston. I had to re drill the caliper holder thread and put helicoil because heat is so high that the aluminum of the caliper weld on the bolt. When I bleed the brake, I have to fight with the bleeder screw each time and strip the hexagon on it, a real pita.

And it’s not just one time, it’s always. My car is good but nothing to break lap record compare. I install duct cooling but doesn’t seems to help enough.

I bought a temperature gun and checked it last week, after the cooling lap, rear was at 180Celsius and front 360C!
I check with other lapper and after cooling lap, there were between 150-200C

I was wondering if I should remove the dust shield plate, maybe the duct throw heat but it can not get out of the shield and stay in the disc environment, but I don’t want to melt the abs sensor wire or else if I remove it...

Track guy, what are you’re setup or trick to control your heat?
Old May 27, 2018, 09:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Remove dust shields. Use better pads. Not sure what fluid you are using but use SRF, Endless or ProSpeed.

Stop tightening your bleeder screws so much.

Also sounds like maybe your pistons are sticking and cause the high temp with pads dragging. You should probably rebuild the calipers with new seals.
Old May 27, 2018, 01:47 PM

thanks, I will remove the dust shield and that’s good idea, i will but new seal and boot and clean the piston.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Drive down the highway a few miles and then coast to a stop. Get out your heat gun. Hot brakes mean sticking pistons.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
360c doesn't sound bad at all... I'm definitely over 500c

I don't think I've had any issues with bleeders sticking, even when my brakes were going well over that and getting cooked. I have ti shims and ss pistons now, curious what my fluid temp is, as opposed to rotor temps
Old Jun 20, 2018, 09:08 PM

PF 2 piece rotors up front + SRF+ Pagid Yellows or PF01s = no brake problems for EVo used for trackdays
Old Jun 21, 2018, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd definitely rebuild those calipers, many people have good results with Titanium Shims and Stainless Pistons.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 08:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
What ducting kit do you have? Seems all the Evo kits are 2" which from what I've heard is too restrictive with all the bends needed get ducted air in place. 2.5" or even dual 2.5" hoses seem to be what I see on more serious track cars with custom heat shields. That all gets pretty serious though, how about a couple hot laps and a cooldown lap?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by volcano
PF 2 piece rotors up front + SRF+ Pagid Yellows or PF01s = no brake problems for EVo used for trackdays
What are your power levels?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by amn_suazo
What are your power levels?
About 350 at wheels...
Old Jun 26, 2018, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by volcano
About 350 at wheels...
Got ya. I had what I thought was a great set up at about 320hp with no issues but once I went yup to 400hp that same set up couldn't keep up after 4-5 laps.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 01:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You really shouldn't be having a brake issue at 350whp. 360*C isn't even hot. My rotor usually come in at around 500*C AFTER a cool down lap.

Try better pads, raybestos ST43 or ST47 are the business. Good fluid as well, razorlab already mentioned the top 3. And rebuild your calipers.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
not sure how you ran your brake duct into the back of the rotors. AMS brake duct kit has a very nice back plate that cover seal up the back pretty tight and force the air out through the vanes. i also remove the back splash shield. you'll melt the lower ball joint boot, so you'll have to make shield for that or wrap it with high temp shielding. as for the abs sensor, i wrapped it with aluminum foil tape. i had this setup on my car for over 7 years.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...ml#post9338918

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...l#post10704256

what tires are you running, if you're using R compound, they you probably should be using DTC70. also, not sure what your driving skill is, maybe you're using too much brake, dragging your brake too early. i've seen student over heat their brake from braking too early with light brake pressure and dragging.

if you bleed the brakes a lot, use willwood bleeder screw. it will save you from stripping the thread on the calipers. the brass part stay on the caliper, and the smaller metal bleeder turns. it's much easier to turn and takes less torque to tighten, and if you strip it, you wont damage the thread on the calipers.

Old Jun 29, 2018, 03:55 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy

if you bleed the brakes a lot, use willwood bleeder screw. it will save you from stripping the thread on the calipers. the brass part stay on the caliper, and the smaller metal bleeder turns. it's much easier to turn and takes less torque to tighten, and if you strip it, you wont damage the thread on the calipers.

This is a great idea. Shopping now LOL. Are ours the 10mmx1.0? Damn. $17ea...

OP; I removed the dust covers and installed some home-made shields. I got the templates from a post on this forum. I then covered them in gold tape:

Last edited by kaj; Jun 29, 2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
The willwood bleeder was around $40 total iirc

Quick Reply: Solution for overheating brake