Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2023 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
i guess what i'm maintaining is, if you're getting on the gas early/before the apex, you've overslowed for the corner.
No it doesn't. That's like saying whoever brakes the latest is the fastest through the corner.

Corner exit speed > corner entrance speed

If you're going to Autobahn this weekend find Tom O'gorman and ask him to take a couple laps in your car to give you setup feedback. He's driven loads of evos and is a fantastic driver period.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:19 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Yup. My car rotates well coming off the brakes and turning in, time throttle app so boost is coming up at or just past the apex so the car is on power to track out of the corner as you reduce steering. Generally being on power helps maintain the slip angle or even slightly increase so you can reduce steering input quicker and get the car pointed down the straight away sooner as well.
I do exactly this. I admit it's pretty fun, though, when I time it wrong and the power hits a bit too soon (on tight turns/AutoX). I love driving my car sideways.
I may even have a video with telemetry that shows all that. I'll look.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
No it doesn't. That's like saying whoever brakes the latest is the fastest through the corner.

Corner exit speed > corner entrance speed

If you're going to Autobahn this weekend find Tom O'gorman and ask him to take a couple laps in your car to give you setup feedback. He's driven loads of evos and is a fantastic driver period.
i hope to do just that.

again, I'm just repeating exactly what I was told from the pros. i don't have to advocate for it any further, it's not my flag to bear
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:43 AM
kaj

i hope to do just that.

again, I'm just repeating exactly what I was told from the pros. i don't have to advocate for it any further, it's not my flag to bear
I'd say if your car is setup to drive like they tell you and it works, go with it. Sounds to me like everyone has their cars tuned differently so are getting different results. My car rotates off throttle and brake but that's probably not what's best for someone else.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 01:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
i hope to do just that.

A lot of pros don't drive front heavy, high power, AWD cars.
The following users liked this post:
codgi (Jun 26, 2020)
Old Jun 26, 2020, 02:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
A lot of pros don't drive front heavy, high power, AWD cars.
Exactly. The Pros drive respectable cars that look like something a responsible adult would drive. Not the overpowered econobox that we somehow coax into working on the track.

It's a different mindset.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
My Econobox is going up against some over powered Vettes and Porsches tomorrow and Sunday. Lets see how it does. 14 year old technology FTW!
Old Jun 26, 2020, 03:50 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
My Econobox is going up against some over powered Vettes and Porsches tomorrow and Sunday. Lets see how it does. 14 year old technology FTW!
I love being the underdog. The last time my car was beaten was at a local autox. I lost by about 0.25 sec to this thing and I'm not even mad:

Old Jun 26, 2020, 04:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Construct
Exactly. The Pros drive respectable cars that look like something a responsible adult would drive. Not the overpowered econobox that we somehow coax into working on the track.

It's a different mindset.
Not to mention it's a rally car. It's basically designed to carry slip angle.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 08:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Not to mention it's a rally car. It's basically designed to carry slip angle.
Really though, it was designed to carry groceries.

All the engine and suspension stuff is an afterthought. Mitsubishi did a remarkably good job given the constraints.

I love it every time I pull up to grid and my Evo's ride height looks like a monster truck next to all the Porsches and other track cars. Of course, I need to fix that eventually with the proper parts.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Construct
Really though, it was designed to carry groceries.

All the engine and suspension stuff is an afterthought. Mitsubishi did a remarkably good job given the constraints.

I love it every time I pull up to grid and my Evo's ride height looks like a monster truck next to all the Porsches and other track cars. Of course, I need to fix that eventually with the proper parts.
The Evo doesn't share suspension geometry with the base lancer. So I don't think the grocery getter thing is quite right lol. It is built around being a homologation car.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

I know, I'm exaggerating a bit. Mitsubishi did a great job with the Evo suspension given all of the constraints of the platform.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Oh great. Tom berry is in my class driving a gt3. This isnt going to end well. Haha
Old Jun 27, 2020, 12:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Started fitting up a splitter for a local customers IX a couple nights ago. 3" of height adjustment and 5* of angle adjustment 🤘

Old Jun 28, 2020, 11:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I'd say if your car is setup to drive like they tell you and it works, go with it. Sounds to me like everyone has their cars tuned differently so are getting different results. My car rotates off throttle and brake but that's probably not what's best for someone else.

This is exactly the same conclusion i came to with the 20 different ways to go through a corner that came out of here haha.

My only advice would be put a pro driver in your car and gather some telemetry to work with or get some driving coaching makes a huge diff.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2023 Summer Projects?