Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Connecticut Smog & Gas question...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2006, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turboDan
Simple,CEL= No pass,FAIL.
When you clear your cel your emmissions related components have to go through a series of tests to see if they are working properly and have to show "completed" in your monitor status(obdII stuff).If you clear your CEL and bring it to an emmissions testing place before all your monitors show a "completed" status they can not give you a PASS as they know what you are up to Your car needs to complete a so-called "Drive cycle" and criteria to complete a "Drive Cycle" varies manufacture to manufacture,but in order to pass your state mandated emmissions test for CT. you must have a cat on vehicle,you must not have a CEL,your readiness monitors must show "completed" status and you must have a gas cap present and it must pass a simple vapor pressure test,it is that simple in the state of Ct. How do I know?Can you say IM240 certified
BTW,any out of state vehicle being registered in the state of CT MUST pass the emmissions test to retain registration,no sniffer is done on 1995 and newer vehicles,just a simple OBDII plug in and visual check and gas cap check.Hope this is of help to you

Thanks turboDan, this helps alot!
Old Jun 19, 2006, 03:39 AM
Account Disabled

passed emissions w/ 3" rnr tbe (NO CAT), 272 i&e cams(thank you turbo dan) methanol system(but not running at the time) 6.5" rs tme turbo about a month ago here in CT. Car was camming like a **** but she passed tech didnt even look for a cat. i just thought why not give it a try and it passed.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:02 AM
Evolving Member

Where did you go? (If you feel like telling....) That place may be the new hotspot in CT for us modded cars!
Old Jun 19, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

yea what emissions station did you go to?? Does anyonne know if you can go early??? I am due to go in April 07 but I want to get it out of the way now
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:17 PM
Account Disabled

if you wanna know pm me, and ill tell you i dont want to have it floating on the boards and have it shut down.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vtlaxplaya16
if you wanna know pm me, and ill tell you i dont want to have it floating on the boards and have it shut down.
pm'ed!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

i think u can pass with no cat u just need no cel on

Last edited by Speedlimit; Jan 23, 2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by afmafia
i think u can pass with no cat u just need no cel on

You need to have a functioning gas cap. The gas cap is the first thing that gets tested. Next would be a visual inspection of the catalytic converter. If its there, you pass, if it's not it's a big fine. Finally the car has to be plugged in to the emissons computer throught the OBD2 port. As long as you have no cels and the vehicle has gone through it's On Board Diagnosis (OBD) and passed, then your car will pass CT emissons.

Dan
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:02 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by john breezy
You need to have a functioning gas cap. The gas cap is the first thing that gets tested. Next would be a visual inspection of the catalytic converter. If its there, you pass, if it's not it's a big fine. Finally the car has to be plugged in to the emissons computer throught the OBD2 port. As long as you have no cels and the vehicle has gone through it's On Board Diagnosis (OBD) and passed, then your car will pass CT emissons.

Dan
Correct^^^^^^,as posted in post #12 but a much less complicated explanation for the Laymen