Notices

Paddle shifting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2014, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Paddle shifting

Starting to like the use of the paddle shifters over the D selector.
Didn't really notice it much when I had the stock intake box on it, but since the Takeda intake has been on, I get the over stated 2nd-3rd gear "lag". (and it sucks) Well, in paddle shift mode, I get to select the rpm range it shifts in. after a while of using it, it's getting pretty easy to run it till it get going and even switch back into D after we're rollin at speed.

Anyone else use'm?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I use the paddle shifters for engine breaking when going down the mountain.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

The more I use them, the more I like'm.
There's WAY more pep in the take off than in D mode.

Now if I could just get a turbo in this lil thing.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 06:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use it to shift into 6 when going uphill and I can't get the damn revs to drop down no matter how carefully I feather the pedal
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't use them as much since now I live in a city, but I do still use them when going up to the mountains on the back roads. I like the handling and it hustles around corners pretty well and the paddle shifters help keep the engine in its sweet spot. Left in D, the transmission still does very well in the mountains... at least MINE does.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know why the rev is so high when in shifter mode?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 01:05 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayli
My assumption is higher revs = faster, more prominent response to driver input, thus a more "sporty" feel.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jayli
The eco programming is disabled when in manual mode as well, so it allows the engine to rev higher.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mines did not come with padles i got regular stick up and down, and it feels a bit uncomfortable since its a bit to far from my hand it really sucks that it does not come stander for 2014 models.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Outie11
The eco programming is disabled when in manual mode as well, so it allows the engine to rev higher.
Hold on a sec...
Are you saying we can deactivate ECO mode by simply sliding the shifter over to "manual mode slot" and STILL Have Automatic CVT - but, without having to manually shift up or down??
Old Mar 1, 2014, 01:52 PM

^^ In this configuration, no you cannot
BUT...

If you really REALLY want to, you can modify the transmission to make use of the Ds (For Drive "Sport") function. The Ds function will deactivate the Eco function and still drive in an automatic mode, so you wouldn't have to manually shift, but it would hold revs higher and simulate a stepped automatic transmission as it does in 4-cyl 2014 Outlanders.

To modify it, its a specific pin in the gear levers pigtail that needs to be taken out of the full on manual mode slot and moved to the Ds mode slot. So then, every time you put the lever in the manual gear gate Ds would be selected but you wont be able to use the +/- gates, those would be inactive. You could still use the paddle shifters since those are on an independent pigtail, but every time you come to a complete stop it would revert back to Ds or D, not to 1. I learned all of this from Lancer owners who buy DE and ES models, but then purchase paddle shifters and sportronic shift gates after market .

If youd like i can try to find the pigtail diagrams again, it might take me a while but if youd like to try it let me know.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Outie11
^^ In this configuration, no you cannot
BUT...

If you really REALLY want to, you can modify the transmission to make use of the Ds (For Drive "Sport") function. The Ds function will deactivate the Eco function and still drive in an automatic mode, so you wouldn't have to manually shift, but it would hold revs higher and simulate a stepped automatic transmission as it does in 4-cyl 2014 Outlanders.

To modify it, its a specific pin in the gear levers pigtail that needs to be taken out of the full on manual mode slot and moved to the Ds mode slot. So then, every time you put the lever in the manual gear gate Ds would be selected but you wont be able to use the +/- gates, those would be inactive. You could still use the paddle shifters since those are on an independent pigtail, but every time you come to a complete stop it would revert back to Ds or D, not to 1. I learned all of this from Lancer owners who buy DE and ES models, but then purchase paddle shifters and sportronic shift gates after market .

If youd like i can try to find the pigtail diagrams again, it might take me a while but if youd like to try it let me know.
Well, I hate to put you through any trouble.
Thank you for your insight.

It seems simple enough to switch out the wires, but we are still under warranty and would hate to do anything to void it by modding the shifter's wiring...

I just wished there was a simpler way.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Ha ha. Had a NEW OS owner (red with intransit's) pull up next to me and rev it, like "hey I got one too". So I rev'd mine back,,,, it sounds a bit different with the Takeda intake but it enough he noticed. Soon as the light turned, he guns it,,,,I'm already in paddle shift mode so I hit it after 2nd gear and blow by him just after pulling 4th. Guy followed me to best buy so he could ask what mods I had. I told him the 14's were just slower.

Then I clued him in. We'll see if he show's up here. lol
Old Mar 2, 2014, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Krakker
Ha ha. Had a NEW OS owner (red with intransit's) pull up next to me and rev it, like "hey I got one too". So I rev'd mine back,,,, it sounds a bit different with the Takeda intake but it enough he noticed. Soon as the light turned, he guns it,,,,I'm already in paddle shift mode so I hit it after 2nd gear and blow by him just after pulling 4th. Guy followed me to best buy so he could ask what mods I had. I told him the 14's were just slower.

Then I clued him in. We'll see if he show's up here. lol
Oh that was just mean.