EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Project Cars / Build Threads (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/project-cars-build-threads-344/)
-   -   I Can Haz Track Car??? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/project-cars-build-threads/740705-i-can-haz-track-car.html)

Ayoustin Jun 20, 2023 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD (Post 11970009)
theres this trans on ebay with upgraded 3rd & 4th gears. I dont know but could be better match for the stock 5th?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29568885108...Bk9SR8z50pibYg

interesting. Would scoop it up right now if it was closer to $3k but almost $5k is enough to make me wait. I hate how expensive these gearboxes have gotten, would almost rather pony up for a sequential.

ViciousLSD Jun 20, 2023 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ayoustin (Post 11970010)
interesting. Would scoop it up right now if it was closer to $3k but almost $5k is enough to make me wait. I hate how expensive these gearboxes have gotten, would almost rather pony up for a sequential.

Jon/TRE told me to buy it! (but they wont ship directly to TRE).Then learned about PPG gearsets .. maybe I'll get those someday. I just decided to get an IX trans from B&M. F it, cataract can wait.

harry wilson Jul 4, 2023 05:50 PM

It's nice to keep up with stats ! keep it up

Dallas J Jul 5, 2023 08:40 AM

Yeah, its rough. Im going to need to source a back up soon and not looking forward to that cost.

ViciousLSD Jul 5, 2023 09:21 AM

I think I saw a sequential on FB. For $15k

Ayoustin Jul 5, 2023 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD (Post 11970409)
I think I saw a sequential on FB. For $15k

Yea I saw it. Can get one for a good bit less than that through our distributors. The difference between selling my trans and shifter and not paying for a rebuild is only a few grand less than a sequential so leaning towards that route. Will make my mind up in another couple months, not in a rush.

Construct Jul 14, 2023 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ayoustin (Post 11970424)
Yea I saw it. Can get one for a good bit less than that through our distributors. The difference between selling my trans and shifter and not paying for a rebuild is only a few grand less than a sequential so leaning towards that route. Will make my mind up in another couple months, not in a rush.

How bad is the maintenance schedule on a sequential? I know the maintenance intervals are short, but I don't know how involved and expensive it is each time you have to work on it.

Ayoustin Jul 15, 2023 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Construct (Post 11970779)
How bad is the maintenance schedule on a sequential? I know the maintenance intervals are short, but I don't know how involved and expensive it is each time you have to work on it.

Not too bad from what I've seen. Sequential gearboxes are just like motorcycle transmissions, as long as you're deliberate with your shifts there isn't much stuff to wear out. Since the points of contact are fewer and much larger they don't wear down very fast. All of the info I've found surrounding maintenance basically says check it every season, every 2-3 seasons do seals and bearings and as long as no cracks are forming in the gears and the dogs aren't getting rounded (which happens from poor shifting) then there's no reason to change gears. And that's pretty much all the parts in the trans that would generally need replacement.

Quaife's site says they charge a bit under $600 (not sure if that's just labor) to overhaul their transaxle sequentials with new seals and bearings. So provided I don't drive like a brainless moron the maintenance on the box shouldn't be too expensive, I think. This is something I've been planning to ask guys I know who have sequentials when it comes closer time for me to pull the trigger.

Dog boxes are usually pretty rough on maintenance because the stock style gear selector mechanism isn't as friendly to face engaged gearsets as a barrel style selector is like there is in a sequential, and there's a much larger human variable to botch shifts with dog boxes.

Evo1150 Aug 6, 2023 04:46 AM

Cool build