Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

EVOlutionary's LR2.2L MIVEC Build - Titanium Inside :)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
EVOlutionary's LR2.2L MIVEC Build - Titanium Inside :)

Well, a few of you out there have heard my plans for this build first-hand. Since the work is about ready to start I guess it's time to spill the beans and share the build with all the EVO community. This has been a long time in the works and finally I am ready to build my Ultimate Autocross/TT EVO Motor. The parts are still being accumulated and assembly should start soon.

Those of you who have followed my exploits know my EVO so far has been fairly successful even with just the stock motor. Two SCCA Solo2 National Championships, a 2nd, a 3rd, and several other trophies over the years. It also took home two track records and a NASA TTU National Championship in it's first year in NASA TT racing in 2011. Over the past 3 years I've been tapering off the Autocross scene and getting deeper into the TT thing. My ultimate goal for the car is to be a top-tier TT/TA competitor, but my driving and the car have a LONG way to go . This engine should help take me just a bit closer to making that dream a reality.

This thread will document the build up of what I believe is the perfect EVO engine for double duty AX/TT use. If things don't go as planned I may be in for some embarrassment and regret - so hopefully things will work out as planned! Most of the parts are already spec'd, but I'm still waiting to hear back from a few companies who have been solicited to help with this project. This engine is being assembled, installed, and tuned by Aaron and Keith at PURE TUNING in Toledo, OH. They have been my tuner and fabricator for almost 5 years now and have been a most integral part of the success of this car.

As far as what makes a "perfect" engine - that is different for each person based on what their needs are. For me - "perfect" is:

-70% Time Trials/Road Race
-20% Autocross
-10% Drags

The next few posts will detail the build-up of my engine. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them. I am not a professional engine builder nor engineering expert, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express a few times last year

STARTING POINT:

- stock bottom end, throttle body, head, intake manifold
- GSC S1 MIVEC cams
- PPI ported stock exhaust manifold
- CBRD BBK-Full turbo
- Nisei intercooler piping
- ARC intercooler
- ARC intake box
- PURE TUNING intake pipe with stock MAF sensor
- WORKS 02 housing
- WORKS downpipe
- ASpec titanium test pipe
- custom ovalized side exit exhaust

EVOLUTIONARY LR2.2UL MIVEC STROKER:

- 4G64 tall-deck block, machined for oil squirters
- English Racing 4G64 MIVEC feed solution
- English Racing 4G64 water pump solution
- English Racing modified MIVEC cam gear
- Winberg 94mm 8CW crankshaft (26#)
- custom 161mm titanium I-beam connecting rods (407gm with bolts)
- custom 10:1CR Wiseco ultralight pistons, heat coated top, friction coated skirts and DLC wrist pins
- Pure Tuning ported head w/ stock size SS intake and Inconel exhaust valves
- GSC S2 MIVEC cams and beehive valve springs
- AMS L19 headstuds
- plus a few more goodies . . .

Stay tuned for pictures and updates as the build progresses. . .

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Mar 27, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

There's been a custom built short block out there for a long time that I had my eye on, but never had the $$ or real need to pick it up. It was built back in the day by a race shop for a high-end project that never came to fruition and I knew it was languishing away in the corner of the shop - just waiting for a home. Every so often I told the shop owner I was interested in it, and one time he told me "Hey, don't be surprised if it randomly shows up on your doorstep some day!" Well, it didn't quite happen like that, but this winter I was planning my attack for NASA TT in 2012 and I decided that a built motor might be in my budget (to do it how "I" wanted it done) if I could put together a killer motor on somewhat of a budget. The stars aligned with me getting a LOT of overtime at work this winter, a decent tax return, and a surprising year end bonus at work. SO - I emailed the shop about the short block I had been lusting over for the past 4 years or so. To my surprise they still had it. Even more surprising was the steal they let me have it for just to get it out of the shop (since they now catered to mostly GTR and Porche crowd).

I was so excited to get the engine that I drove 4 hours through a blizzard, against the recommendation of the shop, just to be sure I didn't miss out on this opportunity. When I got to the shop and finally picked up the short block I was surprised just how small the EVO motor actually is without the head and manifolds, etc all attached. It was the first time I had ever seen a bare short block. It's amazing to me that little chunk of metal can make over 1000HP in some applications. Thank you Mitsubishi engineers! I took the short block directly to my tuning shop PURE TUNING in Toledo, OH to have it inspected and dismantled. I knew what it contained, but to see their reaction reminded me of the scene from "The Fast and The Furious" where they roll in the Supra and Jesse says something like "2JZ, no ****! About $10k and overnight parts from Japan and this will decimate all!" Except it was more like "Titanium Rods? 4G64? Throw in all the $$ you've saved up and this will decimate all!" lol!

So the short block was torn down and inspected and measured. The block is a 4G64 block that was custom coated internally with what I figure is a sealant/oil-shed coating. Crank is OEM 100mm stroke to make a 2.4L. Rods are custom I-beam titanium units that are around 161mm, probably from Crower. Pistons are a custom set, probably about 11:1 with DLC light weight wrist pins. Unfortunately - a HUGE UNFORTUNATELY - from sitting unused for so long the cylinder bores had some rust in them that would require a bore and hone. BUT - the bore/pistons were already at 87.5mm! That meant the block was finished. . . and therefore I would need new pistons too.

Well, I sourced a good used 4G64 block from an EvoM vendor. The walls look good so we should be able to get away with an 86.5mm piston and a hone job on the cylinders. The pistons are on order from Wiseco. From what I am told they are a new casting that is the next evolution of the awesome 1400HD pistons. That sounds just up my alley! I'm always up for trying out the newest and latest if it may be the current benchmark. Sometimes this approach has paid dividends, sometimes it has cost me time and $$. I guess we'll see how well this particular gamble pays off!

Here are some pics of the block and pistons as I received them. I'm sorry I don't have any pics of the rods yet. . .

The OEM 100mm crank . . .

The 87.5mm high compression pistons. Slipper skirts and DLC tool-steel wrist pins. . .

Pictures of the coated block and the rusted/scored cylinder walls. . . .

If anyone has info on what the yellow block coating is please chime in. I've never seen that particular coating before.

So after the tear-down we knew we'd need a new block and pistons at least. I did not want to keep the same pistons and have a brand new motor bored out to the max with no possibility of a future rebore/hone if needed. I also decided that although the rod/stroke ratio of this motor was the best possible for a 2.4L, I wanted something that could handle more sustained high RPM over its life. This, along with the EvoM write-up I had read about the WINBERG crankshaft lead me to order a 94mm WINBERG 8-counterweight crankshaft. Stock EVO is 88mm. 4G64 is 100mm. The 94MM WINBERG is right dead in the middle and will make a 2.2L engine that along with the long rods and ultralight kit should rev to 9K rpm all day long. At least that's my hopes!!

Well, that takes care of the rods and crank. For the pistons we have ordered a custom Wiseco setup. From what I am told they are working on a new casting to take the 1400HD to the next level. The new pistons will be a custom piece with the compression height set to work with the titanium rods that I have. Hopefully they will be lighter and stronger than the 1400HD and have a slipper skirt design. I guess we'll see in a few weeks once Wiseco gets them finished. . .

The block, pistons and 100mm crank are going up for sale cheap. If anyone is interested please PM me and I can get you more details.

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Mar 29, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

reserved for future posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

reserved for future info
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck with it, I'm eagerly awaiting more info!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking forward to updates on your build!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:43 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love Titanium...looking forward to updates sir!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Updated with some more info and pics.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
some of the old "how to" build books for small blocks and what not, if I recall, mentioned painting the surfaces of the block to improve oil drain-back into the pan.. I'll see if I can dig that up perhaps that's what was done to the original block there
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting... Looks as if someone dipped the block in Caterpiller yellow tractor paint then proceded to machine the surfaces that required it.

Nice build BTW, interested how those ti rods will work for you. I have been always tempted in having GRP make a set for me just was not sure what they would cost.

Last edited by DynoDude55; Mar 29, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

False advertisement, there's no titanium inside (yet) update when you get some pictures
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Nice can't wait to see the outcome!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
subbed.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Great build Evolutionary...keep bringing those trophies home

Can you post some overall pics of the car, what fuel will u be using, and whats the current weight of the car?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by detroit pistins
Great build Evolutionary...keep bringing those trophies home

Can you post some overall pics of the car, what fuel will u be using, and whats the current weight of the car?
Yep, I will be adding all of this in eventually as the build progresses. It will be about a month before the engine is ready to actually swap in the car. I am racing at MidOhio and Autobahn in a couple weeks with the car as-is on last year's setup, then putting her down until the new setup is ready to race.

I also have new suspension and aero stuff coming, will post that here too in time.

Right now the car sits at around 2600# in TTU trim . . .

Here are a few pictures from the last year:

Quick Reply: EVOlutionary's LR2.2L MIVEC Build - Titanium Inside :)