Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

EVOlutionary's LR2.2L MIVEC Build - Titanium Inside :)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
Who did your cage? Trying to find someone local-ish (midwest) to do a rather simple 6point for me.
TRF - Thompson Racing Fabrication. Here in MI. Does a lot of rally car stuff. Cage turned out real well. Would have to discuss his methods though to see if he can drop the bars through the floor to weld the upper welds, or if he always cuts in through the roof to get to those top welds. I had my roof off so it was easy to go in through the top on mine.
The following users liked this post:
V.8MR (Apr 22, 2017)
Old Apr 22, 2017, 04:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Any updates?! Also what are you doing for wiring. Thinning down OE harnesses or doing something custom?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Any updates?! Also what are you doing for wiring. Thinning down OE harnesses or doing something custom?
Car is at Pure Tuning for engine install, oil system plumbing, rear radiator install, and wiring. We're planning on starting it and tuning it on the OEM wiring. Then I may someday have a custom harness made. Rywire wanted about $6000 for a full custom rewire job. Way out of the budget right now.

I did thin out the left and right rear harnesses to only the needed wires. Started to thin out the engine bay harness but had no idea what to do with the fuse boxes and relays so I gave up and left it intact. Suck we're only going to be using 1/4 of all the wires in the dash harness but I have no idea where to even start with trimming it.

Aero is coming tohether. First batch of parts ordered. Trying to find ways to keep costs low (relatively) while retaining strength and quality.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 08:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
I hear ya on the wiring. I actually did the exact same thing. Thinned down the wires going to the back to only tail lights and fuel stuff, was easy enough. So I thought I'd started on the dash harness but it was overwhelming in the car. So I removed it.

I plan on deleting and de-pinning whatever I'm not using. SRS, HVAC, Stereo, etc. Going to be rough...

Old Oct 15, 2017, 09:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Hell of a build. Really cool to see you're in MI too, most guys in MI just seem to be interested in drag stuff. I'm just north of Grand Rapids, hoping to get my evo out to Grattan early next season as well as Gingerman.

Definitely wish I had those kinds of funds to go all out!

I know I was a bit late to the party but I left a comment on one of your instagram posts about the CAE shifter. It's a fantastic piece, feel free to ask any questions about it.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Hell of a build. Really cool to see you're in MI too, most guys in MI just seem to be interested in drag stuff. I'm just north of Grand Rapids, hoping to get my evo out to Grattan early next season as well as Gingerman.

Definitely wish I had those kinds of funds to go all out!

I know I was a bit late to the party but I left a comment on one of your instagram posts about the CAE shifter. It's a fantastic piece, feel free to ask any questions about it.
Thanks! My buddy Bruzewski is here in Midland too. He handles the straights, I take care of the twisties. I got your comment but been busy at work. I'd like to try the CAE shifter some day. I have been to both Grattan and Gingerman. I like Grattan way better. LMK what you think of them when you make it out to a track day.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 04:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Thanks! My buddy Bruzewski is here in Midland too. He handles the straights, I take care of the twisties. I got your comment but been busy at work. I'd like to try the CAE shifter some day. I have been to both Grattan and Gingerman. I like Grattan way better. LMK what you think of them when you make it out to a track day.
If I find myself passing through Midland before I put the car away for the winter I'll give you a heads up and stop off if you'd like to test out the shifter.

I've been on Grattan before just not in my evo. I went out to Blackhawk Farms earlier this year and I'll say the evo (at least my car) definitely seems to favor tighter tracks that don't have any super long straights, might also have to do with the fact I'm still on stock final drive. I'm really anxious to get out on Gingerman, I've got a lot of friends in the South Haven area and IL who go there somewhat regularly and most of them prefer it over BHF and Autobahn.