Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Simple, '06 Evo MR build

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
nice!
Old Jan 27, 2017, 09:09 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Bumps so I can find this in the near future. Looks like I may be selling her.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 02:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car looks great
Old Oct 27, 2018, 03:14 PM
kaj

Update so I have a record:

Roll bar painted.
Passenger ASM harness added.
255 NT-01s
ST43 brake pads
Weir 12 plate died (installer error). Now rocking an open diff.
OEM engine still doing well.
FP turbo blew up; they couldn't tell me why.
Went back to a stock IX turbo, recently came back to an HTA71. Best turbo, ever.
Cut the hood and added a strut tower tow hook.
Bought a 5spd and had Shep rebuild it. Waiting for December to install with new clutch plate and TOB.
Took vid of oil pressure on long, right-handed sweepers. Still seeing no pressure drop with custom oil pan. Currently building one for my friend's Atom.
Wrapped steering wheel in Alcantara. Awesome upgrade for track days, when using my gloves.
EGR was leaking, so stuck a block off plate between it and the manifold.
Finally tuned on Flex Fuel (Innovate gauge/sensor + BoostedTuning ROM)
Evo X brake calipers waiting on me to go with 18" wheels.
Dallas' rear trailing arms on order so I can bump up to a 18x10 +38 wheel.
Soon to start work on my "trailer park" front splitter (plywood)
APR 300 wing with risers added (car has really good balance with wing at minimum AOA).
Had to go back to Perrin silicone intake to fit 84mm comp cover on HTA71.
Blox air filter.
CF drive shaft
Next: weight savings (windows, front xmember, mustache bar delete, carbon or gut rear doors, brake rotors, front uprights).
Old Oct 27, 2018, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Fun read, looks like you are moving away from the original path of a modest build. I like the flex fuel idea a lot.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
How much did this run you ? Finally tuned on Flex Fuel (Innovate gauge/sensor + BoostedTuning ROM) Been wanting to go Flex fuel and looking for options.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 05:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
LOVE THE BUILD AND DETAILS!! Now you have a beautiful track machine, and the mods you did isn't anything TOO CRAZY! Seems very reasonable, but I am sure made the biggest difference.

On a side note, I love the Hondas you built. Before my evo I had too many Hondas to keep count of. My favorite was an H2b 95 civic, that really did damage!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:46 AM
kaj

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX
Fun read, looks like you are moving away from the original path of a modest build. I like the flex fuel idea a lot.
Yeah. It's been a number of years. As financing become available, other things become possible. My new goal is to make the car as fast as possible while still keeping it streetable. I.E. I will not get rid of A/C, glass windshield, or cup holders My main focus right now is shedding weight. Unfortunately, it's the most expensive thing we can do for our cars, other than a sequential transmission (not on my radar until 2021 or so). Even still, the car is very simple. For example, this is the engine bay. I'd like to see 500whp one day, but I don't think I'll every feel like going through the trouble of swapping the fueling components. So 480whp may be the most it ever sees (430whp right now).

Originally Posted by huzzle101
How much did this run you ? Finally tuned on Flex Fuel (Innovate gauge/sensor + BoostedTuning ROM) Been wanting to go Flex fuel and looking for options.
I have an arrangement with my tuner, but it should run you right around $650ish for the gauge/sensor/tune. Jay @ BoostedTuning.com can give you a definite quote.

Originally Posted by jderas_562
LOVE THE BUILD AND DETAILS!! Now you have a beautiful track machine, and the mods you did isn't anything TOO CRAZY! Seems very reasonable, but I am sure made the biggest difference.
On a side note, I love the Hondas you built. Before my evo I had too many Hondas to keep count of. My favorite was an H2b 95 civic, that really did damage!
I like to keep the car fairly basic. I can get most of my parts at the local dealership, STM, or a third resource I have here in town. Most stuff can be found on EvoM classifieds for dirt cheap because everyone wants to "upgrade". Meanwhile I have OEM reliability, everything FITS, and find myself hardly working on the car. It's kinda nice. Yeah... 500whp would be fun, but then I have to buy a lot of stuff to make fit... and if it breaks... well.... With less power, I get by with some pretty mild parts (clutch, trans, t-case, etc). I found my "sweet spot".
As for my Hondas, the hatch was nuts, the Integra was a perfect daily driver, and I miss the Type R most of all. I'd get another as a daily but prices have doubled since I bought mine. I refuse to pay $15k for an ITR with 100k+ miles
Old Dec 9, 2018, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car looks sweet and I agree you've thought through the mods well. How is the interior, and do you need to make any improvements there. Mine is rough inside so curious as the previous owner was a slob, LOL.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 08:58 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by carlevo59
Car looks sweet and I agree you've thought through the mods well. How is the interior, and do you need to make any improvements there. Mine is rough inside so curious as the previous owner was a slob, LOL.
I kept all interior panels from b pillar forward. No carpet. Passenger seat is stock with an ASM harness, driver side has a Sparco Evo II with 5-point harness. Four-point roll bar only, since I occasionally drive it on the street. OEM seatbelts and airbags intact, for the same reason.
Gauges mounted in upper cubby area, with wideband in the gauge cluster.
Headliner is also removed. Shifter base raised 3". Flex Fuel guage in the glove box, just in case I need to check it.
Alcantara cover on the steering wheel ,AMS delrin knob so as not to burn my hand off in the summer.
I think that's about it.
oh, I did leave the stereo. No way could I do without that.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 08:10 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by kaj
Update so I have a record:

Roll bar painted.
Passenger ASM harness added.
255 NT-01s
ST43 brake pads
Weir 12 plate died (installer error). Now rocking an open diff.
OEM engine still doing well.
FP turbo blew up; they couldn't tell me why.
Went back to a stock IX turbo, recently came back to an HTA71. Best turbo, ever.
Cut the hood and added a strut tower tow hook.
Bought a 5spd and had Shep rebuild it. Waiting for December to install with new clutch plate and TOB.
Took vid of oil pressure on long, right-handed sweepers. Still seeing no pressure drop with custom oil pan. Currently building one for my friend's Atom.
Wrapped steering wheel in Alcantara. Awesome upgrade for track days, when using my gloves.
EGR was leaking, so stuck a block off plate between it and the manifold.
Finally tuned on Flex Fuel (Innovate gauge/sensor + BoostedTuning ROM)
Evo X brake calipers waiting on me to go with 18" wheels.
Dallas' rear trailing arms on order so I can bump up to a 18x10 +38 wheel.
Soon to start work on my "trailer park" front splitter (plywood)
APR 300 wing with risers added (car has really good balance with wing at minimum AOA).
Had to go back to Perrin silicone intake to fit 84mm comp cover on HTA71.
Blox air filter.
CF drive shaft
Next: weight savings (windows, front xmember, mustache bar delete, carbon or gut rear doors, brake rotors, front uprights).
New Year Update!
-I think having the same brake pad front and rear is causing my ABS to kick in too early, so swapping OEM pads to the rear to test my theory
-Weir diff absolutely destroyed my rear diff. I ended up having to buy another used... then send everything to TRE for a rebuild. What started out as a $750 upgrade turned into a $1,500 mess. "Just say no to Weir". Don't even get me started on what Weir had to say about the whole thing. The rear diff works awesome again.
- Shep 5spd is in. I'm still not a fan, but it's in and it works! I haven't been able to shift through gears, normally, in about two years. Between this and the diff, I can't wait to get back on the track and see how my laps times are. P.S. Shep paints the trans before shipping back. Not a fan. It looks like crap the second you start touching/installing.
-FlexFuel does some kinda cool noises when inbetween 85/pump gas. It backfires occasionally on decel after a heel/toe. Kinda fun.
-Evo X brake calipers not on yet. Anyone want a set of brand new 17x9.5 +38 RPFs with NT01s?
-Also searching for 18" wheels to daily drive on.
- As such, still don't have the trailing arms on.
- Adjusted seat to compensate for placement of 5spd shifter vs 6spd.

That's about it. Nothing too fancy, as yet. Once I get the Evo X brakes on, I think I'll leave the car alone for a while unless something comes along that is too good to pass up. I want Dallas' arms/uprights, but I think my budget needs to remain modest for a while. The trans and rear diff killed me.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

sounds pretty solid, good luck

OE X wheels are a pretty inexpensive hold over for dailying on 18s.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:38 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by kyoo
sounds pretty solid, good luck

OE X wheels are a pretty inexpensive hold over for dailying on 18s.
Ive had two sets and would get another, but all I've found have been across the country. I like how they look on our cars and tires are cheap.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:58 AM
kaj

Update:

Painted the exh mani and heat shield. After one event, it's holding up awesome. Added an AEM air intake to appease the C.A.R.B. gods. Bought used 2-piece brake rotors. I've been putting that off for as long as I can remember, but I couldn't pass up a deal that included rears.
New trans is working well. Rear diff needs more break in, I think. It locks like a *****, though. I had a blast at my last AX event.

The following users liked this post:
Tommyfacekicker (Jun 24, 2019)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

what'd you paint it with? I got mine ported and coated several years ago, still holding up great with lots of abuse. you gotta swap out that COP with a spoolinup bro

Quick Reply: Simple, '06 Evo MR build