Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

My Evo 9 Piranha build 1/3

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
wow what a story hope this time all goes well, u gonna love the 6466
Old Nov 26, 2017, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice build, looks like you did a good job from starting with no knowledge to where you are now. sucks to hear about the motor but it looks like you have the next one all figured out. best of luck and keep us posted!!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Loose leads to accelerated wear. I'm guessing it was a rod bearing that went? You don't need to go looser than .0025-.003" (and .003" is considered very loose) on any bearing clearances. On my car that I beat the living hell out of my rod clearances are .0025" and my main clearances are still factory.

If I were you I'd have the crank ground or buy a used factory crank and call it a day. A lot cheaper and probably wouldn't end up waiting as long. Also, you shouldn't need to rehone the block or get new rings. Having the block thoroughly cleaned is the most important thing. Remove all oil galley plugs and run a nylon pipe brush though all of the oil galleys and spray them out with wd40 and brake clean multiple times. I can assure you that bearing material can and will get into almost every nook and cranny in your oiling system so making sure everything is 100% clean is key to keeping from repeating this situation. Also be sure to extensively clean your oil pan and consider buying a new pickup tube.

Best of luck with the rebuild!
Yes I believe when it was put together it was .0022 on rods idk if that sounds correct... but thats what I remember.
Thank you for the advice. I picked up a used crank the other day just needs a polishing. Got a new moroso oil pan on the way and straight cut gears, then assembly!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:39 AM

thank you guys for the kudos! i hope the 6466 holds me over
Old Dec 4, 2017, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
900 hp it should haha
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:56 AM

SO! I've decided to build it myself. After waiting for 5 months and it hasn't been touched when they have everything I told them I'll come get the car. Next closest shop would be English Racing but they are outta my price range.

This is where I need you guys! I'll be sticking with my 6266 cuz they had never sent my turbo off to get upgraded when they said they would. Assuming with this turbo ill be around 700ish maybe a little more IDK. But I need info on clearances where to find them and what they should be for a 700hp motor. I've been looking everywhere I feel like I find it then it turns into everyone has a different opinion on what they should be. I believe I have all the tools ordered? If I need something else please let me know. Or if you know anyone that could help me have them message me. I'm confident in my skill but I need all the knowledge I can get and advice.

Snap-on
- Dial Bore Gauge
- Feeler Gauges
- Piston Ring Filer
- Stretch Gauge

The list of parts that will be going in the car.

- 10:5.1 HD Wiseco pistons (85.5mm)
- Turbo Tuff I Beams (156mm)
- Standard King Racing XP bearings (Mains, Rods)
- SuperTech Duel Valve Springs
- Ferrea Valves (Standard Size)
- GSC S2 Cams

If more info is needed let me know. After I have everything for clearances ill begin work and taking pictures of everything to make sure im doing it right. If you guys could please help it would be much appreciated.