Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection

Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:21 PM

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Been a bit since the last update.

Engine is still at the machinist. All that's left is checking valve clearance. The head surface required some serious welding and cutting due to corrosion which put it at 5.170" thickness. 5.185" is the minimum recommended thickness supposedly, so, looking to see if the difference can be made up with a thicker head gasket. That head is fully assembled with all of the new parts, though. The bottom end went together without issue. Machinist had me mix a set of the extra oil clearance rod bearings with the standard bearings to give it a little more bearing clearance, but, the bottom end is together and looks great.

He got the crank within 1.5g of a perfect balance which he advised could vary from balancer to balancer. The block deck and bore were perfect and, from what he said, appear to have been done recently and never ran.

I did pick up a set of GSC S2 cams, Exedy twin disc clutch, and a few other bits as well. Progress is being made slowly but surely.

Visited my buddy Grant at House of Power in Hanover, PA while I was up there a few weeks ago and he hooked me up with a few of the parts while I stared in awe at his builds. He recommended an FP Green for my power goal.

So, progress is being made! Look for a more detailed update soon!

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-iiqecpb.jpg

Last edited by strang3majik; Nov 20, 2018 at 10:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EVO196 (Nov 21, 2018)
Old Dec 27, 2018, 08:49 PM

Engine complete!

Finally! The engine is done!

Machinist did the whole clay deal on the pistons and cranked her over...valves barely kissed the top of the clay. Thankfully the JE Pistons have some deep valve reliefs which saved me...that's even with the 3 layer head gasket...

So, I'm picking it up tomorrow and putting it on the stand for final assembly. Likely will be pulling the timing belt off and doing something with the cam gears. Don't think its necessary to go adjustable, but, I at least want them to look a little better. Lol.

Haven't been working on the car much lately, but, I'm switching to day shift (from my 5p-5a night shift) here in a week, so, looking forward to cranking it out.

Next big spend is sending the trans out...I don't feel comfortable pulling it apart to do the bellhousing myself, and, it wouldn't hurt to have it gone through since I'm doing everything else.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-npwhotr.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-xsevmy4.jpg
Old Jan 11, 2019, 08:44 PM

Did a little engine bay cleanup and painting today. Still some more to do, but, planning on tackling the harness install tomorrow! Also, a little artsy gauge cluster photo and it sitting with my e30.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-cetkm1v.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-vwbo6mh.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-ks3rvj9.jpg
Old Jan 12, 2019, 02:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nicely done
Old Jan 12, 2019, 01:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 221 Likes on 155 Posts
Coming together nicely. Love how well its all cleaned up!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 08:26 PM

Thanks guys! Its nice to finally be working on the car itself instead of stressing over the engine.

Finally got around to pulling the dash today. Took a whole, maybe, 30 minutes...and it was my first time pulling it. Not bad at all. Lol. My next days off I plan to start the harness install...still confused as to why the PO removed it. But who knows.

Also, anyone have any idea what this wire goes to? Its cut behind the radio and I can't find the other end...goes around the heater box and up the passenger side A-pillar. My car does not have a sunroof. Looks aftermarket, but the loom and clips, etc, look factory.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-8hnwsjl.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-1beb5hd.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-b0lxic4.jpg

This wire.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-uzaeqla.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-nubo49z.jpg
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice to see a evo being brought back to life!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 08:19 PM

Made some progress over the last few weeks. Acquired a new dash and airbag from a local junkyard thanks to an Lancer OZ Rally...also picked up as many nuts, bolts, and little bits and pieces I could like the triangles in front of the mirrors, roof trim strips, trunk floor/carpet, etc. Also installed the wiring harness, picked up some 18x9.5 +20 Enkei RPF1s (temporary tires...don't mind the stretch as its not staying), and...since I needed to rebuild my calipers anyway, I found a set of Evo X calipers and rotors from the same junkyard I picked the other Evo pieces up from.

With the RPF1s...I had to run a 20mm spacer in the front to clear the Brembos. With the Evo X calipers, I only needed to run a 5mm spacer as it moves the caliper out to where the spokes are curved. That isn't the only reason I did the brake upgrade...its a cheap upgrade that is practically a bolt on...and...when I owned an Evo X, I was in awe at the braking power. I can only imagine how the CT9A will stop as its a bit lighter.

Anyway...here are some more photos. Just ordered some new Brembo decals for the calipers as well.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-kkdq1vx.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-n24jpob.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-obohtf2.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-lgibqah.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-jik5sff.jpg

Thank you, poor Evo X, for the brakes.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-ne8v2um.jpg

Comparison between Evo 8 and Evo X. 320mm vs 350mm rotor.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-kvccoiw.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-nxpdyph.jpg

My buddy's brother's e31 850i that was in for service.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-qp3jpyu.jpg

Last edited by strang3majik; Feb 10, 2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Antenna wire for the radio someone cut mines also I installed another one
The following users liked this post:
strang3majik (Feb 26, 2019)
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:56 PM

Made some progress assembling the engine and making it look pretty. Going for a sedate look...nothing too flashy. Still have to bolt everything down and disassemble a few things to finish putting it together, but, here are some photos of the progress thus far. Still working on it over the next few days.

Installed a new water pump, Kiggly Racing HLA...among a few other misc pieces. New OEM upper timing cover, spark plug cover, and oil cap are on the way from MAP.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-s82xfpj.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-idke1e8.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-5ot7hqp.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-oxizkzt.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-v0oawsi.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-h73fwpa.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-fobenkz.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-cuzgr2x.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-epkk0px.jpg
Old Feb 27, 2019, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Love the wrinkle black. Keep up the good work!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Cool thread! Love what you have done so far!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 720 Likes on 566 Posts
Nice, I love seeing these resurrections.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 09:35 PM

Thanks everyone! Its been a ton of work, but, I'm trying to give it as much detail as I can. Anyways...got a bit more assembled now. Not sure if I should install the exhaust manifold/turbo before or after its in the engine bay...but, otherwise, its about together. Also, I installed stainless brake hoses and bled the brakes...a baby step, but, a functional brake system is a huge plus!

Waiting on the check from Uncle Donny and I'll get the trans sent out. lol. Once its back, I can assemble!

Also, had to rearrange my shop, so I pulled my 87 Mitsubishi Starion out of corner and washed it off...took some obligatory pictures while it was out. Its currently a 2.6L turbo undergoing an MPI conversion...when the Evo is done, it is likely getting a 4G63/T56.

I keep finding pieces that are missing as I assemble...like the baffle plate in the oil pan. Luckily, my local Mitsubishi dealer was able to get it next day.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-e6gbhzo.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-apwnvml.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-spdj3zn.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-wbxvkn6.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-4yttb0j.jpg

Cameo from my 85 Dodge Omni GLH-T

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-cpuy4jm.jpg

Starion...my dd and parts hauler in the bg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-3yvepgd.jpg

My buddy's Malinois

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-cz5plt8.jpg

315s!

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-6ugesqb.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-7cmkrim.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-pxfubkf.jpg

Wide hips run in the family

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-wl89gj5.jpg

Last edited by strang3majik; Mar 8, 2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:47 PM

Made some more progress over the last few days. I finished installing the engine harness and spent some time figuring out what all the plugs go to...then gave it some voltage with a fire extinguisher in hand.

The good news, everything that can work, worked! Windows all work. Stereo, wipers, lights, etc. Found out it has 115k miles. Lol. Also, my ABS light was on for the front right wheel speed sensor...which made me look into and realize the wire was broken, likely from the crash. So that's fixed now. Airbag light is obviously on...only code is "Deployed". Lol. Anyone know if its possible to reset the code? Or just get a new module? Regular Lancer the same?

Also...finished up what I could with the engine and placed another large, albeit, depressing, order of parts. All new sensors...mostly OEM where it counts. Picked up some front CV axles and front wheel hubs.

ID1300cc Injectors, Walbro 255, Invidia o2 housing, new OEM oil cooler and lines...power steering pump and brackets, alternator brackets, EGR delete plate, turbo oil drain...I think that's it...lol

Shipped the trans and new bellhousing out Shep...we'll see how that goes.

Lastly...made a ton of progress on the body. I obviously have to take it all back apart for paint, however, I was able to get the front end installed and lined up...and installed the wing. I threw the back bumper and side skirts on, as well, just to see what it looks like whole. Its nice to see it look like a complete car and have a functioning electrical system. Makes it seem all the more real!

Planning to get a new windshield installed next week and possibly drop it off for paint. I'd like to find a JDM rear bumper, but...idk if that will fit in my timeline. I can always do that later.

Anyways...more pictures...I really need to get some wider tires. Passenger side headlight is in the works as well...

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-hw1vfzg.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-tkpttlv.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-x0zfie4.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-ar3jn1j.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-vff8yok.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-bumrzjd.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-rg1dpy4.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-gnahjdc.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-6nvlvuc.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-7mwlied.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-qbqzmjj.jpg

Search this Thread