05 Evo 8 Resurrection - Page 2 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Project Cars and Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection

Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:21 PM

Been a bit since the last update.

Engine is still at the machinist. All that's left is checking valve clearance. The head surface required some serious welding and cutting due to corrosion which put it at 5.170" thickness. 5.185" is the minimum recommended thickness supposedly, so, looking to see if the difference can be made up with a thicker head gasket. That head is fully assembled with all of the new parts, though. The bottom end went together without issue. Machinist had me mix a set of the extra oil clearance rod bearings with the standard bearings to give it a little more bearing clearance, but, the bottom end is together and looks great.

He got the crank within 1.5g of a perfect balance which he advised could vary from balancer to balancer. The block deck and bore were perfect and, from what he said, appear to have been done recently and never ran.

I did pick up a set of GSC S2 cams, Exedy twin disc clutch, and a few other bits as well. Progress is being made slowly but surely.

Visited my buddy Grant at House of Power in Hanover, PA while I was up there a few weeks ago and he hooked me up with a few of the parts while I stared in awe at his builds. He recommended an FP Green for my power goal.

So, progress is being made! Look for a more detailed update soon!

Last edited by strang3majik; Nov 20, 2018 at 11:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to strang3majik For This Useful Post:
EVO196 (Nov 21, 2018)
Old Dec 27, 2018, 09:49 PM

Engine complete!

Finally! The engine is done!

Machinist did the whole clay deal on the pistons and cranked her over...valves barely kissed the top of the clay. Thankfully the JE Pistons have some deep valve reliefs which saved me...that's even with the 3 layer head gasket...

So, I'm picking it up tomorrow and putting it on the stand for final assembly. Likely will be pulling the timing belt off and doing something with the cam gears. Don't think its necessary to go adjustable, but, I at least want them to look a little better. Lol.

Haven't been working on the car much lately, but, I'm switching to day shift (from my 5p-5a night shift) here in a week, so, looking forward to cranking it out.

Next big spend is sending the trans out...I don't feel comfortable pulling it apart to do the bellhousing myself, and, it wouldn't hurt to have it gone through since I'm doing everything else.

Old Jan 11, 2019, 09:44 PM

Did a little engine bay cleanup and painting today. Still some more to do, but, planning on tackling the harness install tomorrow! Also, a little artsy gauge cluster photo and it sitting with my e30.

Old Jan 12, 2019, 03:12 AM

Nicely done
Old Jan 12, 2019, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Coming together nicely. Love how well its all cleaned up!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 09:26 PM

Thanks guys! Its nice to finally be working on the car itself instead of stressing over the engine.

Finally got around to pulling the dash today. Took a whole, maybe, 30 minutes...and it was my first time pulling it. Not bad at all. Lol. My next days off I plan to start the harness install...still confused as to why the PO removed it. But who knows.

Also, anyone have any idea what this wire goes to? Its cut behind the radio and I can't find the other end...goes around the heater box and up the passenger side A-pillar. My car does not have a sunroof. Looks aftermarket, but the loom and clips, etc, look factory.

This wire.

Old Yesterday, 11:28 PM

Nice to see a evo being brought back to life!

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.