Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 01:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Excellent work, man! I really appreciate the meticulousness in your build, it'll definitely pay off!

Also what an excellent selection of cars. That e30 is to die for, and I'm so jealous of that Starion! I've been looking forever and still haven't found one for sale!

Best of luck with that trans, hopefully it hasn't been neglected as much as the engine. I still can't believe someone would put stock pistons in a block bored 0.020" over. What the actual ****. It's like he started building the motor, ran out of money and slapped it together to sell it. The internal rust was insane, I'd guess that the motor was sitting around with the head off or something.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts
I have a main module if you need it bud.. good looking progress.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You take excellent pictures!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Love this thread man, thanks for posting
Old Mar 25, 2019, 07:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Getting there keep up the great work.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:01 PM

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Excellent work, man! I really appreciate the meticulousness in your build, it'll definitely pay off!

Also what an excellent selection of cars. That e30 is to die for, and I'm so jealous of that Starion! I've been looking forever and still haven't found one for sale!

Best of luck with that trans, hopefully it hasn't been neglected as much as the engine. I still can't believe someone would put stock pistons in a block bored 0.020" over. What the actual ****. It's like he started building the motor, ran out of money and slapped it together to sell it. The internal rust was insane, I'd guess that the motor was sitting around with the head off or something.

Thank you! I'm trying to be as meticulous as I can while also remembering I plan to drive the hell out of it...lol A lot of pieces and figuring out since I'm missing so much, but, its all coming together, and my list of needed parts keeps getting smaller!

As for the e30 and the Starion...thanks! I love them both. I had a Conquest TSI (Starion) as my first car and have wanted another. This one is very clean minus paint...but...they're hard enough to find, let alone rust free. So i'll keep this one awhile. Haha.

The car sat without a hood and with the incorrect oil cap just sitting on the broken valve cover. And worse yet...it was 0.040" over with stock pistons Hopefully the trans is worth rebuilding. Its at Shep now...still awaiting that phone call

Originally Posted by yellowevo82
I have a main module if you need it bud.. good looking progress.

Thanks! I pm'd you yesterday. Definitely interested in that if you have it.

Originally Posted by bostonhatcher
You take excellent pictures!
Originally Posted by butte
Love this thread man, thanks for posting
Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
Getting there keep up the great work.

Thanks everyone. Oddly enough, most of these have been taken with my phone. Haha. Pixel 2 ftw!

I guess time for a little update. Got another care package from my buddy. Injector Dynamics 1300cc injectors, Walbro 255 pump, brand new OEM oil cooler and hoses (his recommendation), Invidia o2 housing, EGR block off plate, power steering pump, and a bunch of misc brackets I was missing from the engine.

I also made a sad discovery when I pulled the fuel pump out...the stock tank is full of rust So I'll be sourcing another to swap in so I don't kill my pump and new injectors. I also test fitted all of the accessories, etc., just to see how everything fits up. I then dropped the alternator and starter off to a local rebuild shop as they've both seen better days. Will probably be cheaper than buying a reman one from Mitsubishi.

Anyways...here's some more pictures. I hope to get the windshield replaced in the next few days and hopefully drop the car off for paint next week! There's not a whole lot I can do now until the trans comes back. I'll be sure to update the thread with what is happening with that.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-meamxhn.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-7mtfpxh.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-zqb0slr.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-gngcgux.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-kx60nmt.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-o43lesj.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-ehsjdio.jpg

Also found a BBS heckspoiler for my e30 that I've been searching for for ages.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-ldiskcg.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-1bxddzy.jpg
The following users liked this post:
Fox_IX (Mar 27, 2019)
Old Mar 28, 2019, 06:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Man that gas tank looks terrible...how long did you say the shell was sitting for? Maybe it was e85 left in the tank to make it corrode like that . Also your e30 is amazing great find on that bbs wing I'm sure that's a really rare piece. I've always wanted an e30, but down here in socal a clean example fetches a pretty penny .

Keep up the good work, where did you send the trans off to sorry if you posted this already?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
Man that gas tank looks terrible...how long did you say the shell was sitting for? Maybe it was e85 left in the tank to make it corrode like that . Also your e30 is amazing great find on that bbs wing I'm sure that's a really rare piece. I've always wanted an e30, but down here in socal a clean example fetches a pretty penny .

Keep up the good work, where did you send the trans off to sorry if you posted this already?
The shell was sitting for upwards of 4 years. The gas smells awful. Lol. It also didn't have a fuel cap on it, so, I should have expected it I suppose.

And yeah...this e30 is the first one I owned back in 2012ish...I sold it when I moved from PA back to FL, then found it for sale in VA a few years later and bought it back. Lol. It is originally a CA car. They've taken a hike in price over here as well, especially for rust free ones.

The trans was sent to Shepherd Transmissions. I was going to go TRE, but I couldn't get in contact with anyone there, whereas Shep responded immediately and answered my questions. I know both are good names, so, the good communication won my business.

Also...meant to add one more pic. I wetsanded and buffed both headlights and popped them in for a visual. I also have a guy coming to install a new windshield tomorrow.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-phgh3wr.jpg
Old Mar 28, 2019, 09:30 PM

I got my alternator and starter back already. Surprised me how quick they were. $200 to rebuild both. I figured if I was going to buy a reman stock alternator and starter, why not just have mine remanned. Can't beat next day service, and at less than the price for one reman OEM unit.

Also, got the HKS low temp oil thermostat, throttle body, and the exhaust side installed on the engine, alone with the Invidia o2 housing. What a pain in the *** that thing is. Had to cut a stud down so it would fit, and you have to start the nuts and the one bolt while you hold the housing out away from the mating surface as the indentations are too small. -_- Nothing impossible, but, I'd hate to try and do it in the car. I know...the turbo coolant line needs fixed or replaced. Haven't taken the time to see if I can straighten it yet. lol

And...new windshield is getting installed tomorrow! Got rear bumper brackets, passenger side hood hinge, and the hood latch and cable secured via Facebook. Supposed to pickup a fuel tank in Miami on Saturday...hoping to get the car to the paint shop next week. Things are coming together.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-jpryko7.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-1jqtcxu.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-wdrmarz.jpg
Old Mar 29, 2019, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You want the oil to be 210-220*F so the water moisture buildup in the oil can boil out and vent out the valve cover. Putting a lower oil temp thermostat may keep this from happening and getting water in your bearings is a no no. If you need more oil cooling then put a bigger oil cooler on or add a fan behind it to keep it at the temperature the thermostat opens. And yes water is an emission in internal combustion and it leaks past the rings and gets in the oil. If you run e85 it gets worse because once a little bit of ethanol gets in your oil it attracts water from the air.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by bostonhatcher
You want the oil to be 210-220*F so the water moisture buildup in the oil can boil out and vent out the valve cover. Putting a lower oil temp thermostat may keep this from happening and getting water in your bearings is a no no. If you need more oil cooling then put a bigger oil cooler on or add a fan behind it to keep it at the temperature the thermostat opens. And yes water is an emission in internal combustion and it leaks past the rings and gets in the oil. If you run e85 it gets worse because once a little bit of ethanol gets in your oil it attracts water from the air.
I appreciate the shared knowledge. The lower temp thermostat was a recommendation from my tuner since I plan to run the car on a track due to the sustained high RPMs...and because I live in Florida. I'll be running straight gas as well. Its easy enough to change back to stock should it be an issue, though, so I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Another update...picked up a fuel tank last night from a guy in Miami. It is very clean inside. Also...new windshield was installed on Friday. It looks weird being able to see through it clearly. Lol. Its crazy, when the airbag went off, it actually pushed the windshield down into the wiper motor. The new one sits well away from it as it should.

Today I plan to take the bumpers, etc., back apart and tow it to the paint shop tomorrow! Much excite.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-d6cdmct.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-8cvz3ti.jpg
Old Apr 4, 2019, 08:35 PM

A few more updates. Took the car for a paint quote and set the date for April 29th. He advised that I install the engine first so I don't mess up the new paint...makes sense. Lol. Also trolled the Evo Classifieds page on Facebook on April Fools with this pic of it on a dolly if any of you are on there

Also, I heard back from Shep and got the bill At least it will all be new. They had to replace the input shaft and first gear, so they upgraded it to the Evo 9 stuff, and swapped in another center diff. Apparently it had water in it at one point that damaged it pretty bad.

While I'm waiting for that, I decided I'd swap in the new gas tank...let me say this...what a pain in the ***. Now, its not all the cars fault as corroded bolts holding the aluminum subframe bits tight against the body were to blame, but, omg!

Upon getting the tank out...made some observations. My rear differential and mustache bar bushings were destroyed, so, I ordered some Energy Suspension ones and installed those. Also found some surface rust starting on the car underneath. Wire wheeled it all down, put some Ospho on it, and painted it all with Rustoleum black this morning. No pic of that, but it looks nice now.

My rear subframe is stuck in the car, though. I decided to just leave it and was able to sneak the mustache bar out, albeit, not easily. I hope to install the diff and gas tank this weekend, but, my buddy's lift is tied up as they are a working shop...so we'll see.

Lastly...ordered some Torque Solutions poly motor mount inserts that go the stock motor mount brackets. I figured these would be a good compromise to avoid any crazy vibrations while still stiffening it up over stock. I plan to put those together tomorrow so they're ready when the trans gets back.

I can't wait! As soon as the transmission returns...engine install will commence!

I also ordered a Walbro 255 for my Starion. I may install that tomorrow so it can get running on its own as that is all its been waiting on...again, we'll see. Lol

So here are some pictures.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-nmqo2fl.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-ktqzsyq.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-zyquatq.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-yn1k3p9.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-kfg72bz.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-6zx20z1.jpg
Old Apr 4, 2019, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Aw man, it's really starting to come together and look like a nice Evo! Good work as always and I look forward to seeing more updates
Almost makes me want to pick up a cheap body to restore, but I definitely don't have the room for another Evo on my property haha. Also if you don't mind me asking, what was the bill looking like from Shep?
The following users liked this post:
strang3majik (Apr 4, 2019)
Old Apr 4, 2019, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Aw man, it's really starting to come together and look like a nice Evo! Good work as always and I look forward to seeing more updates
Almost makes me want to pick up a cheap body to restore, but I definitely don't have the room for another Evo on my property haha. Also if you don't mind me asking, what was the bill looking like from Shep?
Hindsight...I would have just bought one that needed an engine or something, but, here we are doing, what seems like, a full resto. Lol. I'm trying not to cut corners, but, I'm also getting to the point where I need to cut costs where I can. You can live in an Evo but can't race a house though, right? haha.

Shep is coming in right above $2k...plus, add in the $400 for the bell housing I bought for it. Probably could have bought another trans, but, I know this one is all new and shouldn't have to worry. I also don't plan to ever get rid of this thing, so...there's that.

The last bits I need to buy are exhaust (hoping to find used locally), a driver side axle intermediate shaft, radiator (thinking Mishimoto), rad hoses, A/C compressor/condensor/kit...and I think that will get me running down the road. I would like to upgrade the intercooler, but, we'll see about that.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by strang3majik
Hindsight...I would have just bought one that needed an engine or something, but, here we are doing, what seems like, a full resto. Lol. I'm trying not to cut corners, but, I'm also getting to the point where I need to cut costs where I can. You can live in an Evo but can't race a house though, right? haha.

Shep is coming in right above $2k...plus, add in the $400 for the bell housing I bought for it. Probably could have bought another trans, but, I know this one is all new and shouldn't have to worry. I also don't plan to ever get rid of this thing, so...there's that.

The last bits I need to buy are exhaust (hoping to find used locally), a driver side axle intermediate shaft, radiator (thinking Mishimoto), rad hoses, A/C compressor/condensor/kit...and I think that will get me running down the road. I would like to upgrade the intercooler, but, we'll see about that.
$2k doesn't sound too bad, but I know when you're spending on all that other stuff, another $2k sucks haha. What kind of exhaust did you have in mind? I have an old HKS carbon ti thats yours if we can figure out shipping. I also have some used but good condition Mishi coolant hoses that will be coming off as I just picked up some Evo 4/5/6 hoses that'll fit my half-rad a little better. Let me know if you're interested!

Quick Reply: 05 Evo 8 Resurrection