Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

**AN EVO BUILD FOR MYSELF** (A "simple" build by a "simple" person)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
ok hold on, so the build is, shocks and a stereo?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 09:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonno99
ok hold on, so the build is, shocks and a stereo?
Well.............when you say it like that it doesn't sound as cool

In all seriousness these are just things I am taking care of right now. Of course in the future I plan on doing more "power mods," but for now it is cool.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 02:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by jderas_562

In all seriousness these are just things I am taking care of right now. Of course in the future I plan on doing more "power mods," but for now it is cool.
thats ok dude its a good first step to get you going, i always expect to see motors pulled down on this page
Old Oct 26, 2018, 02:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Sounds like you're headed down the same path that I took and it's a lot of fun. A lot of luxury cars out there will offer you power, speed, and great creature comforts like bluetooth, heated seats, and a 9 speaker sound system at a much higher price tag and some do not look as good as an evo at all or handle as well. To take an evo and turn it into a car like that, that is modern and while still keeping it fast is an adventure that requires a strict choice of parts and careful planning. All rattles need to be stopped and the engine must not be obnoxiously noisy. OEM and softer polyurethane mounts become the preference over solid mounts. High flow cats become preference over test pipes (especially here in CA). Quieter clutches with smoother engagement become the preference over unsprung multiplate clutches. These are really all differences between a street car and track car.

Building a proper track car is easy as it's only used for the track and you don't have to care about the creature comforts, but building a REAL street car is difficult because you have to start thinking like an OEM. Super worth it though.
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Nov 8, 2018)
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Pal215
Sounds like you're headed down the same path that I took and it's a lot of fun. A lot of luxury cars out there will offer you power, speed, and great creature comforts like bluetooth, heated seats, and a 9 speaker sound system at a much higher price tag and some do not look as good as an evo at all or handle as well. To take an evo and turn it into a car like that, that is modern and while still keeping it fast is an adventure that requires a strict choice of parts and careful planning. All rattles need to be stopped and the engine must not be obnoxiously noisy. OEM and softer polyurethane mounts become the preference over solid mounts. High flow cats become preference over test pipes (especially here in CA). Quieter clutches with smoother engagement become the preference over unsprung multiplate clutches. These are really all differences between a street car and track car.

Building a proper track car is easy as it's only used for the track and you don't have to care about the creature comforts, but building a REAL street car is difficult because you have to start thinking like an OEM. Super worth it though.
Wow, those are true words of wisdom right there. I couldn't have said it any better myself. Now don't get me wrong, everyone loves to see a high hp evo just dominate the streets. But, it is just not what I want to do. Looking at the new cars that are supposed to be fun yet classy, just do not interest me. HOWEVER, in all honesty I do like how the Golf Rs look. Obviously, not better looking than an Evo, but its decent.

I know it is not the most common thing to go about "building" an evo to be comfortable, but to me it would be most worth it. Like you said, I could easily swap everything out, remove as much weight as I can, and add MOAARR BOOST, but it wouldn't be practical for me. What you said about the high flow cats really resonated to me (ha ha) because I did notice the car is a little loud.

I truly do wonder, if it is possible to have a stock appearing engine bay, with a smooth ride, and still making decent power (400ish).
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:54 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I know I know Evos are made to be race car monsters and go as fast as possible, but I don't mind building something that I can sit in traffic in.
Welcome and beautiful car! I'm with you on the "build". Not all Evos need to have 1000hp Naw. My car turns really decent lap times, Has A/C, and can drive across country. I'm with you on the "Fast but it has to be reasonable" thing.

Old Oct 27, 2018, 02:55 PM

Qq

Originally Posted by kaj
Welcome and beautiful car! I'm with you on the "build". Not all Evos need to have 1000hp Naw. My car turns really decent lap times, Has A/C, and can drive across country. I'm with you on the "Fast but it has to be reasonable" thing.
Thank you thank you! It is my money pit for now lol. So awesome to hear about others who are on the same page as I am. Doing more research it seems like the FQ evos sound exactly what we want. If it is possible in the UK, no reason why we can't make something similar here in CA lol. Being able to jump in an evo and know that you will be okay no matter what is like the ultimate satisfaction.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 02:59 PM

Time for another rant! After almost having a heart attack because of how funny my clutch felt, I remember the guy I bought it from told me I had to adjust something every so often. Upon doing more research I found out that my evo had the Radium Clutch fork stop installed, and has to be adjusted.

My clutch was feeling really funny, and felt as if it were slipping and not grabbing, so immediately I assumed the worst. I ended up completely removing this "stopper" and wow what a difference. I know it is good to have, but I have no intention of driving insanely hard, and dont want to worry about adjusting it.

Maybe I will re install it later, but for now I am happy my clutch is back to normal!

Old Oct 27, 2018, 03:19 PM
kaj

I truly do wonder, if it is possible to have a stock appearing engine bay, with a smooth ride, and still making decent power (400ish).
430whp, and all I do is add the airbox and cat to pass smog in CA. 8k/10k spring rates so car rides just fine (I'd suggest Ohlins DVT if you REALLY want it to ride nice and perform well).

The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (Oct 28, 2018)
Old Oct 27, 2018, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
430whp, and all I do is add the airbox and cat to pass smog in CA. 8k/10k spring rates so car rides just fine (I'd suggest Ohlins DVT if you REALLY want it to ride nice and perform well).

Dang I love the lowkey look of the engine bay! 430whp is a lot of power, considering it looks so simple. I am assuming you tuned on e85?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 04:46 PM

My new tires are offically on and installed!!! I first want to give a shout out to Tony at American Tire Depot in Downey, CA. He gave me amazing deal on a set of Toyo Extensa HP II. Initially I was going to go with the BF Goodrich Comp2-A/S but was recommended these by Tony as they were cheaper and apparently more comfortable than the BFG's. Being that he is the expert, I took his word, and I must say what a difference compared to the Azenis. I went with OEM size (235/45/17) and man the car feels much smoother.

I still plan on removing the coils for maximum comfort, but that will be for another day. Azenis will hopefully be sold to evom member Lumpy Sticks, who is currently en route to check them out!

Old Oct 27, 2018, 07:37 PM
kaj

Dang I love the lowkey look of the engine bay! 430whp is a lot of power, considering it looks so simple. I am assuming you tuned on e85?
Things you can't see (in disguise): GSC S1 cams, 2.75" O2 housing, FP HTA71 turbo, FIC 1050 injectors, Walbro 255, Blitz SE FMIC, 3" TBE. On Flexfuel, yes.

P.S. When most of us see "coils", we think of ignition coils. Just a heads up on in case you notice having weird conversations. LOL. There may be some miscommunication.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Big thanks to jderas_562. Great guy. Thanks for the tires and it was nice to meet you! Look at these 2 beauties!

Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Big thanks to jderas_562. Great guy. Thanks for the tires and it was nice to meet you! Look at these 2 beauties!

Hands down one of the easiest/smoothes transactions that I have ever done. Sean (Lumpy Sticks) was a man of his word, and was very patient with my schedule. I am confident to vouch for him to anyone in the future. His Evo is also much cleaner than mine so don't let this beautiful picture fool you!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:25 AM
kaj

I get all giddy when I see pictures of multiple Evos.

Quick Reply: **AN EVO BUILD FOR MYSELF** (A "simple" build by a "simple" person)