Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

**AN EVO BUILD FOR MYSELF** (A "simple" build by a "simple" person)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
**AN EVO BUILD FOR MYSELF** (A "simple" build by a "simple" person)

"And here we go..."

I don't really know how many people even look or go on forums anymore to see people's builds, but I don't really care. I am doing this because I want to keep track of what I do, and take a stroll down memory lane some time in the future.

I will keep the intro of myself short. My name is Jeremy, I am from Socal, and I have a red evo.

Now to elaborate on my car........I am a proud owner, and now registered to my name (after a battle with being able to "smog" my car), of a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR. I purchased the car about two months ago, August 9 2018 to be exact, and this car was too good of a deal to pass up on. It had under 100k miles, 98,6xx to be exact and it was mine the minute I saw it in person. This is my second evo as I had a blue one about a year ago, but got rid of it.

Anyways the car came with the following mods:
1.) Full Bolt Ons (Intake, Upper and Lower Intercooler Pipes, FMIC, Exhaust)
2.) Bigger Injectors/Bigger Fuel Pump (I say bigger, because I haven't checked the actual size)
3.) Dual Tuned on 91 and e85
4.) Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers [8k front; 9k rear]

The car was also sitting on some pretty new 245/45/17 Falken Azeni rtk615+ tires all around.

My main goal of this car, is to make it as "comfortable" as possible and be able to honestly take it wherever I want. I know I know Evos are made to be race car monsters and go as fast as possible, but I don't mind building something that I can sit in traffic in. That being said, one of the first things I did when I bought it was completely fix the ac compressor. Thankfully, I found an amazing deal on a used one and it worked perfectly!

The next thing I did was remove all the old tint, and have it redone with a ceramic film (Do some research and you will see how worth it ceramic tint is). I also did an oil change and installed some OEM window visors, and put two JDM AF air fresheners in it.

Short term goals:
-Find a comfortable suspension, as although the Fortune Autos are an amazing set of coils, it is not for me. My plan is to simply throw on some Swift sport lowering springs on the stock bilstein suspension, and hope for a dramatic change in ride quality. That means COILOVERS FOR SALE FOR WHOEVER SEES THIS!!
-Get rid of the azeni tires, and go for something more practical and of course comfortable. My two options that I am debating between are the BF Goodrich G-Force Comp2-A/S or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/s3+. We will just have to see how much of a deal I can get on these.
-Detail the **** out of my car
-Install my new Pioneer speakers and head unit
-Finish my sound deadening of it.

Long term goals:
-Never sell it
-5000hp

Anyways I know this is a long first post, but I am just letting my mind go. I am just going to attach a bunch of pictures and see the progress from there.

October 17, 2018.

The following 2 users liked this post by jderas_562:
1hotevo9 (Oct 30, 2020), Is2scooby (Oct 26, 2018)
Old Oct 18, 2018, 09:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey Jeremy

Welcome aboard & congrats on becoming a new EvO owner

Yeah, for sure, we are interested in seeing your project progress, so please update your thread w/pics, as you move fwd

If you have questions, let us know

Joe
Old Oct 18, 2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hey Jeremy

Welcome aboard & congrats on becoming a new EvO owner

Yeah, for sure, we are interested in seeing your project progress, so please update your thread w/pics, as you move fwd

If you have questions, let us know

Joe

Thank you thank you for the warm welcome! Did my initial post not have any pictures? I could've sworn I attached like 6 of them?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 09:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Pics loaded fine, but as you move fwd, update us w/more pics (pics are good
Old Oct 18, 2018, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Welcome!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Ohlins ride much better than the FA's...
Old Oct 20, 2018, 08:32 AM

Well ladies and gentlemen. THE WEEKEND IS HERE!!! After watching my Dodgers take a beating from the Brewers yesterday, I am going to be relieving my stress by working on my evo!

For today. I am going to finally be replacing the oh so wonderful sound system in my evo! After hours and hours of research I ended up going with Pioneer's latest ts-a series speaker. They are 3 way speakers, and are supposed to be the best bang for your buck. I also ended up getting a pioneer head unit to match my speakers. I know there is always going to be better and more expensive audio equipment out there, but for what I want, this should suffice.

Progress pics will be uploaded as I move on!! Until next post

OHH And this happened the other day! I just had to pull over and take a picture as this is my first car with under 100k miles. That means I need to start collecting bottles for my 100k service.

The following users liked this post:
Kevine326 (Jun 14, 2020)
Old Oct 20, 2018, 05:46 PM

THE WEEKEND IS HERE!!! That means it is time to work on the EVO! For today, the goal was to install all of my audio components but I was in for a surprise! My parts to fix the treacherous "stuck ac knob" have arrived so I will get to that as well!

As for my Audio equipment upgrade I have done tons and tons of research and chose to go with all Pioneer equipment. I know there is always better and more expensive out there, but for what I was looking for the Pioneer will do. I also ordered all necessary harnesses and adapter plates for the 6.5 inch speakers to make the install as smooth as possible.

-Headunit: Pioneer DEH-S4120BT
-Speakers: Pioneer TS-A652F speakers. These are 3-way 6.5 inch speakers.
-Misc: Amazon 6.5 inch adapter plates & Amazon speaker harness adapters

Now for the pictures of the install and process. I will try my best to keep things organized and compare the before with the after.

Now for my review of this upgrade. All I have to say this is the greatest possible bang for your buck if you want to actually listen to music in your evo like I do. I did not want anything high pitched and overly loud. I was aiming for a smooth sound, with some decent bass to it. And that is exactly what the Pioneer products provided. Everything was installed smoothly and I ran into no issues what so ever. If you plan on doing something similar, spend the time and few extra dollars to get the adapter plates and harnesses. It will make life so much easier, and in my opinion provide a cleaner install.

The hardest part of today was changing the dang cable for the temp control. There are certain tricks out there, and there are videos on youtube that explain them.

Well, that's all for today. Hopefully tomorrow I will have the energy to wash and fully detail this red paint that is in dire need of attention.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Pesky little fixes. Nice to have it done, though.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by aggieEVO
Pesky little fixes. Nice to have it done, though.
I couldn't agree with your more. Having everything work as they should is the ultimate satisfaction!
Old Oct 21, 2018, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New evo owner myself. Looking forward to seeing how your project goes
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you have a direct link for the speaker adapters and harness you bought?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:10 PM

Today was car wash and the beginning of the paint correction. Started off with a regular wash of the exterior (cleaned the interior after my work yesterday). Then I followed with clay bar, compound, polish, sealant, and then wax.

Most of my chemicals were meguairs 105, chemical guys v32, ONR diluted for clay lube, Chemical Guys Jet Seal, Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax. Left the parts I did insanely slick. Will continue next weekend hopefully.

Anyways, I snapped this picture before I began detailing because it just looked too nice.

***THIS IS WITH NO FILTER***

Last edited by jderas_562; Oct 21, 2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Seleckt
New evo owner myself. Looking forward to seeing how your project goes
Thanks a lot man! Glad to see the support. Hope you start a build thread as well!
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by importmachine
do you have a direct link for the speaker adapters and harness you bought?
I got you :

1.)
Amazon Amazon
2.)
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: **AN EVO BUILD FOR MYSELF** (A "simple" build by a "simple" person)