Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

**AN EVO BUILD FOR MYSELF** (A "simple" build by a "simple" person)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 01:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
World's most comfortable coilover that can perform on track = Ohlins. Nobody has been able to match their DFVs unless you want to pay $5kish or more.
You are like the third person who has mentioned these coilovers to me. I hear they are well worth the higher than average price tag. My wish is to find someone with a set of these locally and see if I could get a ride along to see how they feel . My way of thinking is if BMW can have a lower profile car that still handles well and rides relatively well possible. NOW I KNOW, that this car is completely different and is in a class of its own but it still makes me wonder.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 01:23 AM

Just wanted to update you guys on the evo. Currently just sits in my garage 5/7 days because I get to take the train to work so that's fun. When I do drive it though....makes me smile every time (except for the fact that I need it to be more comfortable). My way of thinking is if BMW can make a lower profile, comfortable car that still handles relatively well. Now I KNOW these cars aren't the same, as the Evo is obviously in another class of its own, but it just would be cool to know.

Anyways some things that I plan on doing to the Evo relatively soon is installing a resonator of some sort, reason being is that there is still too much drone for me. I am thinking of getting a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator and just having that installed. If not, then I would install a high flow cat. I also plan on installing compact subwoofer and amp combo to add some bass to my new speakers. I don't want it to rattle the windows like my cars would in high school, but something to sound nice and even inside. These two mods together should definitely make the interior sound AMAZING!

I also am starting to piece up parts for a tune up on the evo. I plan on doing my clutch, all drive train fluids, timing belt & components, water pump, oil pump, maybe some cams (doubt it though), and a retune. I will also be installing an oem radiator cap on my mishimoto radiator because I feel like the mishimoto one failing on me.

More to come soon.....

The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Dec 27, 2018)
Old Dec 27, 2018, 07:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by jderas_562
Thank you very much for the kind words! The springs have been decent so far, but I may be in touch with Tein to see if they can build a coilover to what I want, something comfortable lol. That means these springs may be for sale soon!
Im down to buy the springs and mr bilsteins when you're ready
Old Jan 25, 2019, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed the jrp sticker. You had any dealings with the great man? Do you know of they did the work on the tune and install of the bolt ons?
following your progress can't wait to see the clutch issues resolved. Evos tend to do this not long after a new clutch. Get 2years plus. Pita Imo
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Evo2372
I noticed the jrp sticker. You had any dealings with the great man? Do you know of they did the work on the tune and install of the bolt ons?
following your progress can't wait to see the clutch issues resolved. Evos tend to do this not long after a new clutch. Get 2years plus. Pita Imo
It was actually me who had some suspension work and an oil change done at JRP as they are literally 2 minutes from my house. All I have to say is those guys are as legit as can be and really know their ****. Jeff and Roni are just honest guys who specialize in Evos and can really help anyone at any build level out. If you do end up contacting them, ask for Jeff and let him know that Jeremy with the red evo 9 mr sent you and they will take care of you.

My clutch has honestly been perfect all of a sudden!! (of course after I buy a new one). Hopefully it stays like that for a while!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:27 PM

To everyone following and of course myself I have new ideas/things that I want to eventually do to my evo that will enhance my riding experience! It is in a comfortable spot now after putting back the stock suspension (which had lowering springs) but I still want more comfort on bumpy roads! I also have some unique exterior/interior mods I want to do that I will talk about below.

But first, car wash pics...give me a follow on ig @jderas_95; I need more evos on my feed!

Idea #1
-I really want to do something different to the evo to make it catch up to the time. One thing I am really into right now are LED's, especially like audi style headlights. I am going through a phase with Audi right now but that is beside the point. That being said I noticed my mirrors were looking kind of faded as my car is rally red and red usually fades over time, especially on plastic. Well I figured, why not try and retrofit some side indicators onto the mirrors and get a carbon fiber cap to make it look nice! I believe that rexspeed makes the cap, but I dont like how its only mounted with double sided tape. I figured it would look cool and make a nice unique piece for my car. I am planning on going to the junk yard soon and finding some regular lancer mirrors to be my testers. Heres a picture of the led strip style I like, but in white!

Idea #2
Being that my clutch is behaving I have more time to save and just do a complete tune up on the evo. I want to do the 100k mile service, maybe get a custom air box built, find either a quiet resonator or catalytic converter, maybe get gsc s1 cams, and just retune it at JRP.

Idea #3
My car is riding so much more comfortable now that i threw back on the stock shocks with lowering spings compared to the FA 500s (will soon be for sale). I was on Facebook one day and I saw a video of Teins Flex A Hydraulic Bump Stop that is found in their Flex A coilovers. It looks like it really makes the car handle well, sit lower, while still absorbing blows on rough roads!! Being that they have a headquarter 15 minutes from my house in Norwalk, CA I want to see if they can build a custom set for my EVO!! However, this would have to happen in about 3-4 months as work is just INSANE right now.

Anyways, more to come later...
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:23 PM

I can't believe how long it has been since I have last posted in here. This is my first busy season at my job and my hours have been crazy!! Not only was I stressing over that, but my evo was down for about 3 weeks! It all started with the car shaking abruptly while going under boost in 6th gear; I had no idea what was going on because if I eased into it, it was fine. I then decided to simply change my plugs because I didn't even know how old they have been. Well, I initially changed my plugs and noticed the car would not stay on, I had no idea what it was and literally spent days just thinking of what I could of done. Of course my time was limited because of work, but I suddenly had an idea or an epiphany of some sort! I felt like a complete idiot when I realized that I never switched my map over to the e85 tune after I changed my plugs! I was beyond happy because I changed the map, started the car, and it sounded AMAZING!!

Of course my excitement was short lived because my mini battery kit that I had was starting to take a ****, and I knew it needed to be replaced. Now I was never a fan of the mini battery, it just didn't suit what I wanted because I wanted a full size, "OEM" style battery. A battery that I could get at O reilly's and know I have a 3 year warranty. Well hours and hours of research I finally decided to run a Miata battery because I found older forum members who did the same thing. The thing I loved was that it was supposed to clear all short and long route UICP's. Now I was on the hunt on what my options were for a battery tray. I saw people modify oem ones, but I never had an oem one to begin with. Then I saw some companies from like 4 years ago who made them, but when I tried to contact them I never got a response....

Well no one but good old English Racing came to the rescue. They sell a "small" not mini battery tray on their website, but they didnt give a lot of detail on what battery it uses and what would fit. Being that I wanted to run my own battery all I needed was the tray. Well I gave them a call and they confirmed that a miata battery would work on their tray! And that in fact was built to use the 51r style battery. I ordered that same day and it was a waiting game. Well the tray arrived a few days ago, so all I needed was a battery and the time to put it all together. I ended up getting the O Reilly super street platimun battery because it had some good reviews online, as well as a good warranty (36 months)

All I can say is the install was easy and it worked like a charm! Of course my dumbass struggled because I had no idea that provided me a "ground extension" that allowed my to run the battery with the positive terminal closer to the firewall! It only took me 2 hours to figure that out!lol Either way this is a well put together piece, and I think is PERFECT!

I never missed a driving a car more than this one. BUT, the Evo is alive again, and feels better than ever! Time to give it a good wash and just enjoy the car!

OHHH and I am still waiting for a custom part from Rexspeed, but that is for another time

Before:

After (Sorry for the dark pictures, I finished it after I got off work):

Old Mar 26, 2019, 09:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Glad you got everything all sorted out Jeremy! Hopefully we can go on a drive soon . How much does that miata battery weigh?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
Glad you got everything all sorted out Jeremy! Hopefully we can go on a drive soon . How much does that miata battery weigh?
Thanks alot brotha! I am beyond happy that it is running well now. I am definitely ready for that cruise we have been wanting to plan.

As for the weight of the battery, I didn't even think of weighing it, but according to the Oreilly website it is 24 lbs.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 09:11 PM

Well the day is finally here and boy was it worth the wait!!!!

About 4 months ago, I had the idea of finding/making custom mirrors for my evo 9 that had some sort of turn signal in it. I always liked how the light on the mirror looked, and personally felt like it added a more "civilized" look to a car. Not a common term used on an evo, I know lol. But anyways I was able to come across an m3 style mirror for the evo 9 that actually came with a turn signal on it!! After getting in contact with Rexspeed, through LancerShop, I was able to order a custom mirror. Custom meaning, carbon fiber! While looking online there were almost no pictures of these exact mirrors (minus the carbon fiber), so in a sense it was almost a guess and hope of good faith that these mirrors would look good and be exactly what I wanted.....

Well Rexspeed delivered and really exceeded my expectations! Not only are these mirrors super clean and well crafted but it looks SO good! I was able to get blue tinted mirrors as an option, and color matched base plate for my Rally Red evo. Additionally, these mirrors are also supposed to be automatic as well which is a win for win. No need to manually turn/adjust the mirror. I really don't know when I will be installing these, but I am just happy to have them.

The following users liked this post:
huzzle101 (Dec 5, 2019)
Old Apr 2, 2019, 01:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Yaaaaaasssssss those cf mirrors look so nice!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
GL with the build!

Came across your thread today and it’s a very enjoyable read so far! I’m happy i saw this as it is relatively new. I love seeing IX’s and yours (and lumpys) looks great. Also going through this thread, it’s great to see good and honest sounding SoCal Evo owners as I don’t see many on the road. Thanks for confirming that the people over at JRP are great, too. I’m also in SoCal but located in the San Fernando Valley area. Would be great to one day meet/cruise with you all and gain some more Evo knowledge. And obviosuly admiring your cars.
Looking forward to seeing this nice and simple build continue to grow Jeremy.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those mirrors will add a nice classy touch to the car. Looks great so far!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 07:39 PM

-
-
Old Dec 14, 2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_Lion
Came across your thread today and it’s a very enjoyable read so far! I’m happy i saw this as it is relatively new. I love seeing IX’s and yours (and lumpys) looks great. Also going through this thread, it’s great to see good and honest sounding SoCal Evo owners as I don’t see many on the road. Thanks for confirming that the people over at JRP are great, too. I’m also in SoCal but located in the San Fernando Valley area. Would be great to one day meet/cruise with you all and gain some more Evo knowledge. And obviosuly admiring your cars.
Looking forward to seeing this nice and simple build continue to grow Jeremy.
Hey man, sorry for such a late response but I really appreciate the kind words! We should definitely try and get something set up. I have been talking to a few members on here and we have been trying to get a cruise set up, but unfortunately my car has been down for the longest. Thankfully it is fixed now so that cruise should be happening soon!

Quick Reply: **AN EVO BUILD FOR MYSELF** (A "simple" build by a "simple" person)