Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX 2.3 6466

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just sent out all the drivetrain parts today to Jon. Yes he is hard to get in touch with but he is very thorough in his work and gives you a great product. I prefer dealing with no bull**** straight forward people. It might take more effort on my side but he isn't trying to nickel and dime me at every turn and is very straight forward about everything he does. He will tell you himself that he isn't easy to get ahold of. He only has one person working with him so he is a pretty busy guy. I'll keep the thread updated once everything is back to me in a month or so.

In the meantime... Here is an entertaining picture showing how I had to get all this crap to Fed Ex....

Old Mar 5, 2016, 05:43 PM

Jon emailed me yesterday letting me know he'd be taking everything apart this weekend. See if there are any additional things I'll have to pay for. Everything sounded/drove fine before with the exception of third gear starting to grind, so shouldn't be too bad.

Also picked up a gm flex fuel sensor and plenty of drivetrain fluids for break in recently. If all goes well I should be putting everything together next month!

With all this fluid and parts sitting around I feel like I should be running a small auto shop out of my garage haha.

Old Mar 13, 2016, 05:16 PM

Lightbulb Sunday Update

This past week has been a good one. Ordered a Competition twin disc clutch and DEI turbo blanket from good old Nick at Buschur Racing. I also emailed and talked to Jon yesterday about the drivetrain. We got the tcase and rear end all paid for since he has those two almost finished up. They should be on their way back to me on Tuesday.

The rear diff had no problems and he did his full range of upgrades to it so I shouldn't have to worry about it again. The transfer case had no issues but like most others out their it still had a ****ty contact pattern on the ring and pinion. We replaced that with an updated oem set(better contact pattern) and also the acd assembly because it had some wear. The acd assembly sounds pricey but he got me a really good deal on one he had sitting around out of a super low mileage car that had been in an accident.

Another reason this week was good. I'm a Raiders fan and the free agency pick ups this week were anything but disappointing. I'm definitely feeling very optimistic about the next season with how things are looking so far.

Anywhoo, once everything starts going back together all make sure to keep this thread well updated with plenty of pictures and details. This whole process is gunna be a lot of fun!!
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:42 AM

Late Night

Rear Diff came in today. I had a buddy over to help install it and the driveshaft. Can already tell a big difference with the stiffer rear diff and mustache bar bushings. It is hard as hell to move that thing around. Started with the mustache bar bolts and then moved up to the carrier bushings. It seems counter intuitive with the mustache bar bolts being so snug in there, but the carrier bolts are actually harder to get lined up right and are a finer thread.

Using the sight glass and a screw on bottle pump we filled the diff in about a minute. I'll have to top it off after I can move the car around a bit of course.

Got the competition twin put on today as well. Having the engine out of the car makes it a breeze.

HD side cover vs oem. Bearing post is much thicker to support heavy thrust loads when launching. Outer oil scoops help throw oil on the pinion bearing and additional holes in the middle help add more oil/cooling to the friction discs.

Old Mar 24, 2016, 05:05 PM

Tcase is here!

Transfer case got here yesterday with some effort on my end. The box looked a little damp on one corner so I had to go get it. It was dumb, but they have to follow their rules. Must have just been some oil from when I initially shipped it finally making its way to the exterior. Anywho, the thing looks as good as you would imagine. They just glass bead blast the case, do the usual m10 bolt upgrade, and replace basically every bolt in the damn thing! Details are with the pics below.

TRANSFER CASE<br/>-New (updated) oem ring and pinion to start with a fresh contact surface <br/>-CNC machined case to square up the ring and pinion (fixes initial contact pattern issue these cars had from factory)<br/>-Low mileage ACD Assembly<br/>This includes clutch pack, end case, and middle ACD casing (mine was messed up as you will see in the two pictures below)<br/>-Shot peened ring and pinion<br/>-Isotropic super finishing of ring and pinion

Old ACD Housing.

By some miracle it didn't leak, from what I could see. Luckily Jon has so many parts sitting around that he sells them pretty cheap. I got a smoking deal on the whole ACD assembly!
Old Mar 24, 2016, 05:41 PM

Jon @ TRE

One last thing I want to post about tonight. I don't know if Jon has changed since other reviews from years past on here but that guy has been on top of his ****. He calls me with any issues and is direct and intelligent. You really know what you're getting with him. The best way to deal with him is let him do his thing. I don't pester him with unnecessary emails or calls. Getting in touch is still hard at times but hey, it's not the end of the world people. He's still gone over every little detail and busted his *** to get everything done in a small amount of time. Talked to him today and he's been getting everything worked out this week with the transmission drain bolt passage that was shredded on my case. They spent a good chunk of money to try and fix it but there isn't enough surface area left to get a seal for the washer. Another issue is the bracket where my slave cylinder mounts was hacked together by some previous owner. It functions but one bolt hole is done and the welds look like a$$. Needless to say I don't have my trans yet because the outer casing is a little physically challenged. He's getting a new one overnighted so monday the trans will finally be complete and shipped out.

Back to the main point, Jon has been great to deal with and I hope this man never dies because he is the only one I ever want to use in the future for drivetrain parts. Anyone else debating on who to go to I highly recommend going to TRE. Just give him a call or two, or five. Once you do get him on the phone he'll quickly show you why people choose him over others in the industry.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow nice build man!! Really turning out nice!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 01:27 PM

ACD Tune

Sending off the ACD ecu to English Racing today. Getting everything organized and all the little odds and ends ready. Here is what an acd tune will do...

"It changes the ramp rate for pressure to the clutches and cures the persistent understeer common in the ACD cars. In auto X this makes it want to be neutral to slight oversteer on a prepped car to throttle controlled oversteer with some power behind it. A drag car will lock the ACD faster and have less chance for a front axle to rear axle speed mismatch when it engages which normally is what breaks the case drag racing."
-JohnBradley

Old Mar 30, 2016, 08:55 PM

Buschur Racing Break In

Trans is on thee way. ACD ECU is tuned and on its way back from English. Recieved the base map today from English as well. Gotta use that to break in the drivetrain, suspension, brakes, clutch ect. When I messaged Buschur racing on their recommended break in this is what I found out...

David uses an new engine like a god damn man. I like it haha.

Old Mar 31, 2016, 07:03 PM

Comp Twin Conversion How To Video

Good video help here. This conversion is identical to the one my new comp twin uses and makes it very clear how to do instead of using a couple of thumb sized pictures and writing. I'm just more of a hands on learner so it helped me out where some of the wording missed a couple of little things. Interesting watch either way.

The following 2 users liked this post by fastboat4life:
Howulikemyevo (Jun 13, 2016), IzzyRS (Jul 17, 2016)
Old Apr 3, 2016, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You got a sweet build coming together there! I'm looking at doing something very similar. I've been on a 2.3 but stock turbo for two years now so it's about time to pull the trigger on the 6466. Hopefully I'll still have some funds to send my parts off to Jon!
Old Apr 3, 2016, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome build, but you missed one thing. You forgot the starter plate!
Old Apr 3, 2016, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Migsubishi

Awesome build, but you missed one thing. You forgot the starter plate!
Haha yeah I realized that when I threw it in. I didn't want to fight red loctite so I wedged it in there without removing anything. Wasn't too bad. There are two small bolts that go under the flywheel for it but I'm not worried about that. Thing is pretty well sandwiched between the engine and trans
Old Apr 3, 2016, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Supergoslow
You got a sweet build coming together there! I'm looking at doing something very similar. I've been on a 2.3 but stock turbo for two years now so it's about time to pull the trigger on the 6466. Hopefully I'll still have some funds to send my parts off to Jon!
Thanks man. I will say he can be hard to get a hold of but he's a good guy and everything he's sent me has been great. They literally go through every bolt and thread to make sure you aren't going to have any problems.
I liked having lots of power and the ability to feel it before 5k. Much longer wait than a smaller turbo but worth it in my opinion haha.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fastboat4life
Haha yeah I realized that when I threw it in. I didn't want to fight red loctite so I wedged it in there without removing anything. Wasn't too bad. There are two small bolts that go under the flywheel for it but I'm not worried about that. Thing is pretty well sandwiched between the engine and trans

Quick Reply: Evo IX 2.3 6466