Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX 2.3 6466

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dam bro! that is a sweet build! cant wait to see it! Love to see guys getting it in on their own!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great looking build cant wait to see it done and the power numbers
Old Apr 6, 2016, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOJR$
Dam bro! that is a sweet build! cant wait to see it! Love to see guys getting it in on their own!
Thanks man. We'll have to do evo things this summer. My next door neighbor just got a IX too so should be interesting haha.

Rolston12 Thanks man. If I can get her running the tune should happen on the 25th!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 06:07 PM

It all happened so fast

Got the trans this past Saturday and got everything in except intake manifold, wiring, and exhaust that day. Here are some pictures.

TRE Stage 3<br/>4.11 Final Drive<br/>Evo 8 3/4 Gears<br/>Shot peened and ISF Gearset

So much easier to install this kind of clutch

Easiest trans install ever. Didn't even have to lift it up to meet the engine.

Ended Saturday night like this..

Bled the clutch by myself using my seat and a vacuum extension haha

How it sits today
Old Apr 6, 2016, 06:19 PM

Update

Just to actually update everything is together and the car is running extremely rich. So rich it won't run more than a few seconds before the plugs say no more. I've tested about everything. Spark is good. Fuel is 40psi. Timing is dead on. Cam sensors are installed correctly. #3 cylinder stays wet as hell no matter what injector I put on it. The other 3 cylinders are running black as hell. The tune is good from English Racing. Aaron thinks it could be just a bad map sensor so that's next. Crossing my fingers haha.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 09:54 PM

One last pic tonight. All washed up.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 08:09 PM

Haiatus

I apologize for not posting for a while. Ran into some sealing issues with the head and had to send it back. I won't go into detail until we know for sure what the machine shop screwed up. Don't worry, no pistons or valves have been hurt in the making of this evo. I should know all the details next week though. I'll post up as soon as I find out what's going on for sure.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Updates on the head?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
Updates on the head?
Finally got some info this morning. Luckily it wasn't anything too serious. The head is using all gsc parts, basically everything except the rockers. The only additional thing I added this time around was the new oversized valves. Cylinder #3 would not let the intake valves seal all the way with the cams installed.. so no pressure in #3 at all. The rest were reading around 120 which seems low when a stock evo runs 140-160.

Sent the head to buschur and the gsc lifters are what were causing the problem. They are taller than stock and since the cams weren't with the head when they put it together, there was no way of knowing until I had it. Adding that little bit more clearance on the valve seat from machining effected it just enough. David threw in some oem lifters and the head sealed just fine. I'm glad but the same time now I'm trying to find lifters I can use without having to buy a new set of oem for $40 a piece haha.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:49 AM

Next Week

Head should finally be back and installed next week. Just finally shipping out today because the mitsu guy Buschur uses has been gone. That's why parts took so long to get. In other news STM helped me figure out a way around buying oem lifters. They compared the Topline lifters to oem and they were a hair shorter. I have a set of those now so hopefully that fixes it completely and I don't have to grind some valve stems.
Hoping I can have the car tuned and put some numbers up sometime next month!
Old May 5, 2016, 08:46 AM

Got the head back yesterday and got almost everything together. Inspected the head with new lifters installed beforehand and all seemed well. We stopped after the intake manifold was on because I noticed the coolant neck that comes out of the rear driver side of the head was missing. They're sending me one that should be here Saturday so hopefully the car will be running by this weekend! Made sure to do a compression test and #3 is now at 150 instead of 0 so the problem should be fixed! I'll make sure to upload some pics of the lifters soon to compare oem/topline/gsc. It's very easy to see why the oem ones tick with those small oil passages that can easily get gunked up.
Old May 10, 2016, 03:31 PM

More Waiting

Put it all together and pulled it all apart this last weekend. Topline lifters set compression at 120 across the board. Swapped in oem lifters and bumped up all but cylinder #1 to 150. #1 stayed at 120 so now the head is at Heads Up in Auburn Washington to get a full inspection and any modification needed. It will be another few weeks but they do work for Speedfactory and Rich Tuned so I'm in good hands. Obviouisly only cylinder #3 was closely looked at when I sent it back the second time around... $120 round trip and another $70 headgasket wasted. Pretty upsetting but on the bright side I'm getting pretty savvy with the inner workings of evo engines haha.
Old May 12, 2016, 02:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Looking forward to seeing some numbers when she runs.
Have somewhat a similar setup, except stock mounted turbo, not FF.

Maybe will go FF soon
Old May 17, 2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Evo9_Dubai
Looking forward to seeing some numbers when she runs.
Have somewhat a similar setup, except stock mounted turbo, not FF.

Maybe will go FF soon
FF just looks awesome and the cold air is nice too

Small update, I have to call the shop tomorrow and see if they have checked valve stem height. That has to be the issues at this point. They pressure tested it today and it was good... Without the cams installed that is. I'm gunna make sure tomorrow that they know to check the installed height out. I'll post what it says it should be in Evo scan below. Not sure if it is the same for 9's and 8's. If anyone knows please let me know!
Old May 17, 2016, 08:13 PM

Screenshot off Evo scan for installed valve height specs:

Quick Reply: Evo IX 2.3 6466