Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2021, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 295 Likes on 236 Posts
Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

As the title states, I got a Supra to replace the Evo. They kicked all awd cars to the super car class this year so ya, bad for me. I love the series I race in and didn't want to go anywhere else. So I got the Supra to put me back in my old class. I will miss the Evo, will regret selling it and always want another but it must go to fund the Supras build. So far I love my choice.

this car is 100x's different than the Evo. Overall, it has more grip, even in stock form compared to my modified Evo. It rides a bit nicer too. The biggest thing I have to get used to is the power. This thing shifts at 1500rpm and has no problem doing so. 1000-1500 is its normal range. I swear its in 6th gear by 35mph @ 1200rpm doing just fine. Lean into the throttle and it doesn't down shift, it just goes. Having tq with no boost and full tq by 1600 rpm is odd.

Now the question everyone asks. How could you buy an auto? It was a question I asked myself. Out of 50 or so cars i have owned, maybe 5 of them have been auto. I am a true manual trans fan. By far, manual is my first choice.

However, my dad got a 2019 ZL1 auto trans not too long ago. It was the first fast shifting auto trans car I drove. At first I hated him for getting an auto but after I drove it, it made sense. Because of his car, I told myself I would be happy with the Supras auto trans. I was right. Shifts are crisp, trans doesn't get lost in shifting/down shifting, paddle shifters get boring and my left leg has been happy.

Anyways, taking it racing this weekend. We will see how I do compared to my normal rivals. Once I get my baseline test down, mod time will commence.

Overall, its nice to know my launches will be consistent, i won't ever miss a shift and it will shift faster than any h pattern manual trans. Ohh and being stuck in CA traffic doesn't suck as much.

Main issue for far. In stock form, you can't go over 40 mph without your ear drums getting pounded out, with the windows down. It has a wind buffeting issue like none other. Had to get these nice little CF inserts to solve the problem.

more to come but thought you guys would like to hear about a completely different type of car than the Evo. No real good awd cars are being made so I figured I would venture back to rwd.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lumpy Sticks:
DontStopMe (Mar 25, 2021), InvisibleBlade (May 25, 2021), JDZNate (Mar 26, 2021)

Popular Reply

Mar 29, 2022, 09:21 AM
RazorLab
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Apparently there was a pretty good photographer at last weekends event...

Old Mar 25, 2021, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
You have to do whatever makes you happy & satisfies your needs, I'm sure the restrictions of modifying the Evo in Cali weighs on you. Good luck & enjoy the Supra, they've been a badass to modify......
The following users liked this post:
TheRippedNerd (May 21, 2021)
Old Mar 25, 2021, 10:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 740 Likes on 572 Posts
The Supra had 100% grown on me from my first thoughts. I think its going be a big modders platform soon, more so than what people do with M-cars.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 11:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
The new Supra is shaping up to be a great platform.

I've been too busy to keep up with car stuff lately. Has anyone cracked the new ECUs to enable aftermarket tuning?

Also, is there consensus on the largest wheel and tire fitment for motorsports use?
Old Mar 25, 2021, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
The new Supra is shaping up to be a great platform.

I've been too busy to keep up with car stuff lately. Has anyone cracked the new ECUs to enable aftermarket tuning?

Also, is there consensus on the largest wheel and tire fitment for motorsports use?
Most of the 21 models cant be tuned. Not looking to promising for anything soon either. I am actually ok with this because of smog reasons. Currently, I can get a piggy back ECU, tune that, and CA wont have any idea I have a tuned car, Toyota wont know either. Down pipe and a tune, still running 91 octane, gets you about 450whp and nearly 500wtq.

Wheels and tires - lots of people are swapping over to 18s instead of 19s. Supposedly, its pretty easy to run a 10" wheel up front with a 295 and a 11" with a 305 rear. Rumor has it that you can fit a 305 up front and a 315 out back without body work but like the Evo, the springs get in the way. So you would have to go to aftermarket coilovers with some short springs.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 147 Likes on 121 Posts
Very nice op, but im not sure I could ever give up a older jap tuner like the evo 9 about to go classic. Any reason you didn't go the mk4 route for supra?
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallySport9
Very nice op, but im not sure I could ever give up a older jap tuner like the evo 9 about to go classic. Any reason you didn't go the mk4 route for supra?
I know what you mean. There is a very big part of me that doesnt want to sell the Evo but man, that would be a nice chunk of cash to buy Supra stuff with haha. While I like the mk4s, the prices they are asking are just crazy. Not worth it IMO. The performance of the mk5 is 10x better anyways.
Jahtoot (May 14, 2024)
Old Mar 26, 2021, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Lumpy Sticks nice ride looks sharp!! I know you said your son loves the evo and calls it the race car, what’s his reaction to the Supra? Good luck with it!
Old Mar 26, 2021, 04:19 PM
EvoM Guru

If your Evo is clean I would just keep it. Think of it as an investment

Thought this Supra makes me think of the Shawn (Evo) vs Jackie (Supra) time attack battles with Sean frequently on top with a relatively basic build. Maybe not as reliable as Jackie but with the AEM and some work I bet you can get the safeties setup to be pretty reliable at the 500hp mark.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
Lumpy Sticks nice ride looks sharp!! I know you said your son loves the evo and calls it the race car, what’s his reaction to the Supra? Good luck with it!
He loves the Supra even more cause he gets the front seat. His official name for it is now "dadas new race car". Only bad thing is that there are a billion buttons within reach, including the electric ebrake, which he has already pulled while driving. It does work in case you wanted to know.....

Originally Posted by Dallas J
If your Evo is clean I would just keep it. Think of it as an investment

Thought this Supra makes me think of the Shawn (Evo) vs Jackie (Supra) time attack battles with Sean frequently on top with a relatively basic build. Maybe not as reliable as Jackie but with the AEM and some work I bet you can get the safeties setup to be pretty reliable at the 500hp mark.
I haven't seen the Shawn Evo. I'll have to look it up. Familiar with the Jackie supra though. Honestly, I'm over the evo. I have dumped so much money into it just to (we will find out for sure tomorrow) be on par with my stock supra. I do love the aem and all the safety features I built in but that alone isn't going to do it for me.

You also said if my evo is clean to keep it. It is clean and less than 75k miles. Soon to be stock too haha. Keeping it for a few more years may happen but I won't be driving it. If it goes up another 10k in 5 years, that would be worth it. But at the end of the day, im going to sell it. Just need to figure out when....
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Also got a new wing the other day. Looks much better.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lumpy Sticks:
ctfpevoVIII (Mar 27, 2021), InvisibleBlade (May 25, 2021)
Old Mar 27, 2021, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 235 Likes on 211 Posts
id' be all over it if it ever came with a manual trans. i've been behind jackie in his friend's stock supra + wheels & tires at gingerman. i just barely keep up, but surprised at the grip and power of that thing even in stock/near stock form.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Kyoo - the grip is crazy for being stock! Today was eye opening as it was a day of auto-x. Wow is all I have to say. My evo highly lacked turn in. Bumping up the rear spring rate from 13k to 16k may have helped but I guess I will never know. I thought the evo was a turn with your foot type of vehicle but the supra takes the cake there. Off throttle the thing just turns. Even if it starts to understeer, you steer more and it just turns, still understeering but turns. Power delivery is crazy. Can't even tell it has a turbo. No lag at all. There are 3 traction control settings. All on, tcc off and then everything off. I tried tcc off and it is great. Limits the throttle based on steering angle which greatly helped. Also cuts the throttle if you start to get a bit too sideways. Turning everything off was crazy. Way too easy to spin the tires. My best times came from leaving the trans in auto sport mode with only tcc off. Let it shift on its own. Held gears perfectly, down shifted when it needed to and the shifts are crazy fast. You get a slight crackle out the exhaust and you are in the next gear. All I have to say is I am extremely happy. Mods are only going to make this thing better. On my 300tw tires, I missed out on first by .7 of a second, in a bone stock car. That is impressive. We will see what tomorrow brings.
lv05evo (Mar 29, 2021)
Old Mar 28, 2021, 07:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I've been thinking the same thing. I thought Jackie's Supra build was a sure win against the Evo, but Shawn pulled ahead in (almost?) every race.

Shawn's Evo has a 2.2L build with G25-660 if I'm remembering his IG posts correctly. Not exactly a basic build, but it's also not exactly exotic for an Evo.

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I haven't seen the Shawn Evo. I'll have to look it up. Familiar with the Jackie supra though. Honestly, I'm over the evo. I have dumped so much money into it just to (we will find out for sure tomorrow) be on par with my stock supra. I do love the aem and all the safety features I built in but that alone isn't going to do it for me.
Between the two, the Supra is definitely the better platform out of the box. Great handling and power with a warranty. The $51K price of entry is steep relative to the Evo, though. It will be interesting to see how these hold their value.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 08:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Construct
I've been thinking the same thing. I thought Jackie's Supra build was a sure win against the Evo, but Shawn pulled ahead in (almost?) every race.

Shawn's Evo has a 2.2L build with G25-660 if I'm remembering his IG posts correctly. Not exactly a basic build, but it's also not exactly exotic for an Evo.

Between the two, the Supra is definitely the better platform out of the box. Great handling and power with a warranty. The $51K price of entry is steep relative to the Evo, though. It will be interesting to see how these hold their value.
MotoIQ talked with him last year, https://motoiq.com/pretty-simple-evo...ly-kicks-butt/

Does have a good motor build and make some power but suspension and drivetrain is otherwise pretty basic. Of course just goes to show that time attack is mostly about power these days.

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?